• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Childress' Shot

exodus

There has been a lot of talk about Childress this week and everyone can see his shot has improved. I decided to see how much his shot has improved over last year.

In terms of attempts he still takes an extremely low percentage of jumpers. Only 36% of his attempts are jumpers, which doesn't bother me as much as it did last year. This team has a lot of jump shooters so I think it is a good thing to have someone looking to take it to the basket.

Last year Childress made 30% of his jumpers, which is obviously lame. However this year he is making almost 50% of his jumpers, an improvement of 20%.

I can think of only one explanation for an improvement that large. I am guessing that last year they were trying to get Childress to change his shot and it probably threw him off. They finally gave up and told him just to shoot the way he is comfortable shooting.

Obviously I am just speculating but I think there is a good chance that is what happened, because that is a huge jump in one year.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

nobody asked him to change his shot. He's been playing ball and shooting that way his entire life. He's just more comfortable and our team is all around better. This year he has two players (JJ and Al) to spread the floor where as last year he only had one. He's also learned where to be to get better shots.

See, I know the delivery is really weird to see, BUT his release and follow through are really pretty nice.

Reggie Miller's shot was uglier than him or his sister, but it went in, and really, that's all that matters. Didn't Rick Barry (I may be wrong on that) lead the league in FT% shooting underhanded? Style is not what matters, it's the end result.

• Admin

again, I put it at a 0% chance that anyone changed or even suggested that he change his shooting form. Shooting is a matter of repetition and comfort, not form. It's one thing if he had been a bad shooter prior to joining the NBA. But he was not. He just wasn't shooting well last year and considering that he was a rookie, it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Plus we've seen PLENTY of young players make 20% (or similar) jumps from one season to the next. It's all about being comfortable and knowing when to take your shots.

I watched him closely the other night, and I'll be damned if he doesn't have almost the exact same low release. Josh can be somewhat of a poor man's Shawn Marion. He's not in Marion's class athletically, but he does bring similar all around skills to the table. I think Josh is a better ball handler and passer than Marion.

NBA players make changes to their shot. It isn't anything unusual. Smith made an obvious change to his shot in the middle of last year with good results. Wade worked with a shooting coach last year and made a big improvement in his shot.

Since Childress' shot is so unorthodox it is likely they tried to get him to change it at some point. BK even mentioned to someone here about his flying elbow.

Even guys who are good shooters make adjustments to their form.

• Admin

We're just going to have to agree to disagree then. I don't believe for a second that his improvement is anything more than him having more open looks, better shot selection and being a more comfortable, more experienced NBA player. No point in debating opinions that can't be proven right or wrong.

I guess we'll just disagree then.

Funny I don't remember him taking bad shots last year. And his percentage of jumpers taken is the exact same in relation to total shots taken.

And he said in an interview that they tried to change his shot in college and finally gave up.

I saw him make two turnaround jumpers in the lane earlier this year and couldn't believe it. He was only maybe 5 ft from the hoop though.

His lack of bulk will make it difficult to get good post position. But he jumps quickly and has good elevation so i think he should try to do it more often.

Maybe he will get more chances down there if Al gets dealt.

• Moderators

I agree he's not going to have a post game or be able to shoot over people like JJ, but I've seen him shake his man and get the shot off quickly. For such a low release point on his jumper he has a very high release point when he gets in the lane. If he knocks down his open looks and gets in the lane a lot that's all that matters. How many players in this league can't hit open 20 footers at all.

Quote:

I don't buy it. It doesn't look any different to me. He still shoots it with a very low release point. If he was really trying to change it his release point would be much higher.

It was at the BK meeting I went to. They're not concerned about the low release. But they are getting him to put his elbows in more. That might be part of the improvement