• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Salim might be on the block this summer also

BornandDieHawks

Quote:

Of course I'm joking. It's no worse an idea than calling BK an idiot. BK is the best personnel guy we've had in a long time. "Let's b*tch b/c we are in a good financial position with a lot of young talented players"

Okay, sorry - but I have to be careful. There was a whole thread devoted to Salim's greatness - Hawks fans exclaiming how much better he is than Gordon - I didn't know if you were of the same thought or not.

• Premium Member

If He = Jack...

I do believe that Jack can be a star which is why I don't think we can offer PTL anything. I think PTL will give up HSer before Jack.

If He = Gilchrist...

I think Gilchrist has very good sound fundamentals. In my mind, the ACC PG crop from last season were much stronger than what's there now.. I mean Felton, CP3, Gilcrhist, and Jack are much better than dude in Miami, Strawberry, and ??? I think Gilchrist is strong for a PG, I think he's got some game like Baron Davis. He went undrafted because he's a definite HC but being out of the league may have helped him with that.

Quote:

Salim is a backup. In the Hawks organization he will always be a backup... As long as we have JJ, there's no place for SS starting...

I agree. If I could trade him for a starting-caliber PG, I would. I don't think such a deal exists, so I'd rather keep him.

I would do Jack for Salim in a heartbeat, Portland won't. I doubt you can trade Salim and get equal value back, so I'd rather keep him. Even if he never develops into anything more, he is still valuable as a gunner off the bench when we really need instant offense. I am extremely glad that we have him when we need 3 late in a game.

Quote:

and if his bitchfits keep coming

if it became a real problem, yes. But we are a long way from that. Where we are is a guy who makes faces when being put in / pulled out of games. There are many more steps between that and being a real problem. A few notable steps along the way might include swearing at your coach, refusing to enter a game, going against your coach's order in a game/practice, giving the fans the finger, fighting with your teammates, etc, etc...

We are at step 1a, making a face while doing what the coach asked you to do.

All I am saying is give the guy a chance. He is a rookie making faces. Let's not act like he just started a brawl in the stands.

Quote:

Quote:

and if his bitchfits keep coming

if it became a real problem, yes. But we are a long way from that. Where we are is a guy who makes faces when being put in / pulled out of games. There are many more steps between that and being a real problem. A few notable steps along the way might include swearing at your coach, refusing to enter a game, going against your coach's order in a game/practice, giving the fans the finger, fighting with your teammates, etc, etc...

We are at step 1a, making a face while doing what the coach asked you to do.

All I am saying is give the guy a chance. He is a rookie making faces. Let's not act like he just started a brawl in the stands.

I don't know, his attitude leaves a lot to be desired. Is there any job in the country where a college graduate can get away with this type of attitude? I would fire someone on the spot if they gave me that type of attitude as an entry level employee.

Quote:

He is a rookie making faces. Let's not act like he just started a brawl in the stands.

Well I didn't see the game, but the part of the article that really bothered me was the implication that he was so pouty and so pissy at the end there, that he gave a desultory effort in trying to go after a loose ball. So that goes way beyond acting childish on the bench, that's acting like a prick out on the floor- and may have sabotaged our chance to win the game.

That is not acceptable, in any way, shape or form. That kind of insubordination can just poison the whole atmosphere around the team- especially a team as young as this one is. And to carry your pissy attitude out onto the floor with you is just unforgivable in my opinion. That cannot be allowed to go on.

Quote:

I don't know, his attitude leaves a lot to be desired. Is there any job in the country where a college graduate can get away with this type of attitude? I would fire someone on the spot if they gave me that type of attitude as an entry level employee.

Yeah but this is the NBA.

I agree that his attitude has clearly been subpar. I also think that a large part of that is dealing with losing because he has a winner's attitude.

The question is whether his attitude is so bad that he can't stay. I would hope that this will be an eye-opener for him, and that it will give the young guy a chance to think about whether that is really how he wants to be perceived in this league.

If his attitude keeps getting worse, he may have to go. But his current status doesn't warrant getting rid of him. It warrants a short suspension to show him that he's the employee and not the boss. That's what he got and hopefully that will shake him up.

Perhaps Salim is tired of a coach who does not know what he is doing. Woody's timed rotations where he pays no attention to who is playing well, forgets to put players in that are playing well and looks confused when sitting on the sideline. Every game I watch, we have no offense plays, it looks like a game I play with my friends where you just try to score. If you have the ball, shoot. I think woody is hoping that the players draw up some plays. Even without a center, we should be able to box out and play team defense. The bulls never had a dominating center (luc longly), the old pistons teams had laimbeer who has a vertical of about 2 inches and rodman who dominates the boards but is not a center. We can play without a dominating center if woody understood how to teach defense. Bring in a coach who knows how to coach young guys and I think we are an overachieving playoff team. Bring in a coach who brings out the worst in the players (like Woody) and we are where we are.

Lets get an established coach and forget these promising or diamond in the rough guys like lon kruger, woody, weiss, goober. Ever notice once our coaches leave ATL, nobody hires them as a coach. Perhaps it is because nobody ever wanted them as a coach to begin with.

Lets get somebody intimidating that the young guys will respect and listen to. The best coaches are all a little scary looking (pop, jackson, riley) while are coaches are always guys that look like they would be fun to hang out with.

I think I just needed to vent after watching the hawks/pistons game. We need a new coach in a bad way. Delk cracked, Salim cracked, who is next. If it does not take 1.5 seasons of losing to get a new coach (including a record worst stretch), what does it take?

Learn to read. My point is that neither was a true center but that they were both great rebounders. Both boxed out better than anyone and both were always in the right place for the rebound and neither was 7' and 350lbs. If you watch any of our games, you'll see most of are guys are just standing and watching when the opposing team shoots and nobody is putting a body on anybody to block out. So the excuse of not having a great center is hogwash, especially considering there are not many out there. Are problem is that nobody blocks out, which has nothing to do with height.

Woodson changing his mind the first time was the right move, but giving Salim a 2nd chance to go back in the game was the wrong one. He wasn't going to make a play for you at that point and someone like Salim shouldn't be given a 2nd opportunity so soon.

I hope he gets his head on right.

W

I think CHI was actually considering sending Gordon to us in a deal for Al but they backed out. My guess is that the reason they backed is because Al is an unrestricted FA and they don't know what it will take to resign him in the offseason. If he will agree to a reasonable contract, don't be shocked to see Al signed and traded to the Bulls this offseason with Gordon/filler coming back to us. I don't think CHI feels that a Hinrich/Gordon backcourt is a longterm solution and I think Gordon is the more expendable one of the two, at least in Coach Skiles' eyes.