• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Salim might be on the block this summer also

BornandDieHawks

Quote:

Hollinger: It Was Coming

Salim Stoudamire's suspension was more a case of the straw breaking the camel's back than any individual event, with his moodiness being a season-long concern. But in this case, the final straw was his behavior at the end of Atlanta's 114-109 loss to Seattle on Wednesday night.

Stoudamire had made his displeasure at coming out of games a little too obvious on several occasions this season, and was at it again Tuesday. In this case, he was upset because repeated defensive lapses -- including giving up consecutive baskets to little-used Rick Brunson -- resulted in his playing only 11 minutes, nearly half his season average.

With 18 seconds left, however, the Hawks found themselves trailing by three points with the ball. At a timeout, coach Mike Woodson motioned for Stoudamire, the team's best outside shooter, to come into the game. But when Stoudamire disdainfully threw off his warm-up and made another face as he checked in, Woodson changed his mind and kept Stoudamire on the bench. Atlanta's Joe Johnson ended up missing a contested 3-pointer off the dribble with 10 seconds left.

Atlanta got one more chance when officials couldn't decide on out-of-bounds call and ruled a jump ball with three seconds left (a bizarre incident in itself). With Atlanta still down by three and out of timeouts, Woodson inserted Stoudamire again. This time, he made a lackluster effort to retrieve a jump ball that he was beaten to by Ray Allen and allowed two more seconds to tick away before finally fouling, further drawing Woodson's ire.

-- ESPN Insider John Hollinger

I don't think he will be back next year. I know some might say it's an isolated incident, but I hear there have been problems between Salim and Woody all year.

• Premium Member

I get the feeling that Delk is a professional but he has to be hating the fact that Stoudamire has such a bad and wreckless attitude and still plays all those minutes. I have a good feeling about our next 2 games. Either Delk or Ivey will finally step out and be the man.

I think you guys are being way too hard on salim. I don't like his attitude either, but it's his first year in the NBA, probably the first year that he's had to lose this much, and probably the first year that he's played this little. I would prefer a professional who would take it in stride, but let's not overreact. If he reacts with an apologetic attitude, ready to start over, I am more than willing to forgive him. We've seen people come to atlanta and have temper issues due to the losing.

He is being punished to send him a message, hopefully it will get through

Quote:

I think you guys are being way too hard on salim. I don't like his attitude either, but it's his first year in the NBA, probably the first year that he's had to lose this much, and probably the first year that he's played this little.

Well that might be true, but the fact that the guy also had multiple problems with Lute Olson (who is as easy a coach to play for as any in the country- he is *not* a ballbuster by any stretch) while at Arizona and had a reputation as an attitude-problem and a headcase.....you know, that might just indicate the fact that the guy is just a jerk, and we might just have to face that.

Woody's laid-back too, and this kid is giving him all kinds of attitude. That's just not right.

I guess I just don't see where the interest would come from for trading Salim (not that I want to now). When push comes to shove he's still an undersized shooting guard. The only way to make him a value is to develop him into a PG, and being a 4 year college guy in a great program, you'd think that would have already happened to a large degree.

That said, there are plenty of opinions so I guess some team could project him into their lineup.

• Premium Member

Salim is a backup. In the Hawks organization he will always be a backup... As long as we have JJ, there's no place for SS starting...

Quote:

Stoudamire's attitude allows various options

By Bruce Pascoe

Arizona Daily Star

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 11.08.2004

A lot may have changed about Salim Stoudamire this season but one fundamental fact hasn't: He's a shooting guard, first and foremost.

Stoudamire, who scored 21 points to help Arizona beat Team Georgia 110-78 in an exhibition game Sunday at McKale Center, says he doesn't really want to play point guard but is willing to fill in.

"I'll play center if I have to,'' Stoudamire said.

SS has never really wanted to be a PG and I don't think he will ever be one. He doesn't have the gift of PG. So what's left for him is undersized SG. He will be a BU to JJ.

I would rather get somebody like Blake who can manage an offense.

Remember that you and Trace met with BK and one thing he seemed to stress is the importance of bringing in high character guys. Salim doesn't seem to fit that profile.

That coupled with his inability to do anything but shoot (and he hasn't been doing that well either) makes me wonder about his future.

Quote:

I guess that means that all that "he may be the steal of the draft" stuff they were saying on TV wasn't all that well thought out.

He has the talent to be a star in the league, but he has to get his head together and realize he has to pay his dues.