• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chad Ford is blasting the Hawks yet again

Peoriabird

Teams are allowed to re-sign their own free agents and then trade them immediately. This is an attractive option for three reasons. First, teams that may lose an unrestricted free agent for nothing are able to get players in return if they choose to do a sign-and-trade. Second, free-agent players, in many cases, can get the most money only from a re-signing. Third and most importantly, it allows teams that are over the salary cap to sign players for more than the mid-level exception if they can find a willing partner.

Quote:

Quote:

You cannot do a Sign and Trade on an unrestricted FA.

Don't pay attention much in the off season, huh?

Do you know how Harrington was acquired? A sign and trade with our unrestricted FA Stephen Jackson.

thanks for pointing this out again. this is the most ridiculous and wrong idea that a lot of the "overreacting because we didn't trade al" members of the squawk for some reason still cling to. the sign and trade allows teams that are at or near the cap to acquire al. with the exception of a team like the bulls, most teams out there don't have the cap room to sign him outright, and some of these teams want to acquire him. at the same time, a team with cap room, like the bulls, would have to compete against teams willing to give something up to sign him, so al is NOT worthless because he's an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. he has value because he's an unrestricted free agent who may command more salary than a lot of teams have room to give him outright.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You cannot do a Sign and Trade on an unrestricted FA.

Don't pay attention much in the off season, huh?

Do you know how Harrington was acquired? A sign and trade with our unrestricted FA Stephen Jackson.

thanks for pointing this out again. this is the most ridiculous and wrong idea that a lot of the "overreacting because we didn't trade al" members of the squawk for some reason still cling to. the sign and trade allows teams that are at or near the cap to acquire al. with the exception of a team like the bulls, most teams out there don't have the cap room to sign him outright, and some of these teams want to acquire him. at the same time, a team with cap room, like the bulls, would have to compete against teams willing to give something up to sign him, so al is NOT worthless because he's an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. he has value because he's an unrestricted free agent who may command more salary than a lot of teams have room to give him outright.

So we are supposed to believe that some team, who didn't want to trade for him at 6.7 million, all of a sudden are going to want to trade for him at 9-10 million per? Please...We will end up getting offered the same stiffs we could have gotten before the trade deadline..the difference now is that there isn't the pressure of a playoff push to make team offer up a better grade of stiff..BK blew it.

Chad Ford is just a lazy and opportunistic creep. Just more cheap-shots at a team that has become an easy target because of our struggles over the recent years. But he obviously doesn't watch the games and in fact doesn't know what he's talking about, else he would see for himself that despite our weaknesses we are indeed an improved team.

But, he clearly doesn't care to even bother checking into that. It's much easier just to continue the same old bash.

• Moderators

It is funny that he describes BK's "legendary" miscues when the most legendary miss on a draft prospect in the last 20 years is Chad Ford's own promotion of Darko Milicic. He indicated he might take Darko over Lebron and definitely advocated him over Bosh, Wade, Melo, etc. By being the prinicipal media member who was promoting Darko to the point that he was a once in a generation player, Ford is tied the biggest draft bust in many years. He probably goes to bed every night praying that Darko will pan out in Orlando so he can save some face in the long run and can blame the Pistons for Darko's early failures rather than his own evaluation. (When he wrote about this recently he essentially took the position that he never gave an independent assessement of Darko and merely repeated what league GMs said - which makes you wonder what qualifies him to be a draft expert if he can't even evaluate the "top" players in the draft.)

yeah, he said something along the lines of "well, everyone else loved darko, so i was just repeating what they were saying. even though i'm paid to write my opinion as a columnist, i didn't really have my own opinion, so i wasn't wrong. i can't be wrong, etc., etc." if someone's an espn insider and has the time, it was in one of his recent chats, i think, but i could be wrong.

• Moderators

He also did an article on it. I just love how often he does things like saying the Mavericks made a big mistake by signing Dampier to that contract since they are overpaying him but he blasts the Hawks for not signing Dampier to that same contract. Does anyone doubt that he would blast them either way in a situation like that?

Quote:

Does anyone doubt that he would blast them either way in a situation like that?

Oh I have no doubt of that, because he is lazy and intellectually dishonest. It's dishonest of him to continue the relentless negativity while not even making note of the fact that there are also some pretty big positives going on here. As far as he's concerned, it's kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't for the Hawks. It seems that no matter what we do, he's going to find something to bash, and that will probably continue until we can win 50+ games.

• Moderators

Quote:

It seems that no matter what we do, he's going to find something to bash, and that will probably continue until we can win 50+ games.

That is hitting the nail on the head. We are going to have to win to shut up Ford and every other relentlessly negative critic in the league.