• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jon Barry Waived

Lascar78

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1277/rockets_waive_jon_barry/

By Clutch

Copyright 2006 ClutchFans.net

Whoa! Rockets Waive Jon Barry

In a very surprising move, the Rockets waived guard Jon Barry today.

The announcement sums up how much has drastically changed this season for the Rockets.

Barry was a key cog to the Rockets 51-win team in 2004-05 and spoke to the fans in the season opener about supporting the Rockets as they did the Astros. Barry then went out and scored 24 points on 8-10 shooting to go with 3 steals in a 98-89 win over the Kings.

But it's been downhill ever since for Barry and the Rockets. With other players out to injury, Barry didn't quite show the same touch and then came the injuries. He suffered a bruised left foot in late November and then a calf injury that caused problems until late February.

All in all, Barry has missed 37 games this year, mostly due to injury. The last handful of those games saw Barry healthy, but Jeff Van Gundy did not call his number for reasons unknown.

The Rockets traded for Barry in a mid-season deal last season with the Hawks, sending Tyronn Lue to Atlanta. Barry's acquisition proved to be a major coup as the guard came off the bench to hit an astounding 45.6% from long range.

The play of the Rocket guards and shooters, around stars Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, were a big reason for the Rocket success last season, but in less than a year Barry, Mike James, Bobby Sura and Scott Padgett are all elsewhere.

------------------------

Any interest?

I would sign him. He has ties here too so he might want to come back. He is a good character guy, a vet who can teach the young guns new tricks, and is somewhat of a point guard. He does a lot of little things without hogging the ball, but can bring the ball up under pressure.

I would like to see us get him.

I don't know if any contenders will be trying to lure him

Well, with the release of Delk we still have a roster spot open, right? Or has that been filled and I just missed it?

I liked Barry when he was here, and he is a good long-range shooter, but I tend to agree that he'd be somewhat superfluous here, what with Salim being our designated gunner off the bench. But we could do worse than to have Barry back around just for the fact of a veteran presence, something most of us feel we need more of on this team- and at 36 years old Jon Barry is full of veteran savvy. But, that didn't seem to help Tony Delk all that much when he was here either.

I dunno. If I were Barry I'd probably just hold out for a bit, wait and hope that some team on the way to the playoffs will give him a call- ala Detroit and Delk.

• Premium Member

I think more interesting would be Rick Brunsen.

Honestly,

I think this is exactly where BK wants us.

Using JJ at the 1 and Josh at the 2 on occassions.

I think he will continue the experiment to see if we can continue to grow.

Diesel...after all of the heartburn about JJ and the 1, I think you're right. There's a good chance we don't make a move for a true PG, unless he's a backup type like Lue.

Still hoping for a big acquisition, trade or draft pick, but it doesn't seem to be happening, and the pickings are slim.