• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ivey getting exposed

exodus

• Premium Member

Sure, you need a player who can hit the open shot, but you don't need a ball hog being your primary ball handler.

Salim would be good if he played the position as a goto shooter. However, he can't be that with JJ on the floor because JJ is our goto shooter too. The difference is that JJ knows how to play in the flow of the game and Salim is just a ball hog.

Our Leads evaporate when Salim is on the floor. Haven't you ever noticed that??

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Sure, you need a player who can hit the open shot, but you don't need a ball hog being your primary ball handler.

Salim would be good if he played the position as a goto shooter. However, he can't be that with JJ on the floor because JJ is our goto shooter too. The difference is that JJ knows how to play in the flow of the game and Salim is just a ball hog.

Our Leads evaporate when Salim is on the floor. Haven't you ever noticed that??

He is a rookie!!!

Quote:

I knew before the season Salim would have trouble with his D but I was surprised to learn how bad his ball handling skills were. I cringe when he brings the ball up the court because it looks like he is about to dribble the ball off his foot. At this point Salim does not have the dribbling skills of a 2 guard and certainly not a point guard. It appears Salim is a role player.... a jump shooter off the pine only. He is clearly not the point guard of the future.

What games do you all watch? He has no problem getting the inbounds pass and blowing by nominal pressure. He can blow by most defenders and get to the rim. Is he Isaiah Thomas, no. But he as a rookie is servicable. I guarantee if we trade him, he all of a sudden becomes Gilbert Arenas...lol

• Premium Member

I think you will see a great difference when Chillz get back. Chillz does so many little things. Chillz is a decent ball handler which allows JJ to be a scorer instead of the primary ball handler. Chillz is also a smart shooter. His FG% is so good because he is very selective about when he shoots. So instead of just jacking Up shots like Salim or not shooting like Ivey, Chillz is the guy who can do both and knows when to do both. He still makes mistakes, but he is a much better chemistry match than either Salim or Ivey at this point.

Honestly, I would love to trade our pick for Deron because Deron is 10 times the player that Ivey is with many of the same strengths. Deron can hit the outside shot, Drive and Dish, and he plays good defense. We would become a lot more traditional with Deron however, it's exactly what we need.

Quote:

He is better than JT was when he was here

That's a lie. I wanted JT out of here because he couldn't distribute and didn't play D, but even he was a significantly better defender than Ivey, and a much, much better dribbler. He threw bad passes, but he didn't just dribble it off his foot. And he was handling the ball a lot more than Salim. He got twice as many assists as TOs as a rookie. As we know JT has more TO's than assists.

Don't get me wrong, I love having Salim on our team, but he is going to be instant offense off the bench for his whole career. He is not an NBA PG

Quote:

Quote:

He is better than JT was when he was here

That's a lie. I wanted JT out of here because he couldn't distribute and didn't play D, but even he was a significantly better defender than Ivey, and a much, much better dribbler. He threw bad passes, but he didn't just dribble it off his foot. And he was handling the ball a lot more than Salim. He got twice as many assists as TOs as a rookie. As we know JT has more TO's than assists.

Don't get me wrong, I love having Salim on our team, but he is going to be instant offense off the bench for his whole career. He is not an NBA PG

Hey may be but all I am saying is that we don't know yet. He may go to summer league and become a better distributor and ball handler. We have had two years of Ivey to make a judgment.

• Premium Member

Well, he should play a rookie role and rookie minutes until he can be better prepared.

He definitely should not be rewarded with a starting spot when he doesn't do the things we need him to do well.

• Premium Member

Yes, true, but he's much better with the ball in his hands than Salim.

It's about decision making.

The truth of the matter is that we need a real PG... However, until then, we will use this PG by committee idea. If that's the case, I would rather have Chillz on the court doing all the little things than to have Salim on the court chucking up Shots.

Have you read something about Utah loosing faith in Deron or looking to move him. Didn't they trade up to grab him last draft? As you may recall, I was pushing Deron for out 2nd round pick last year and would certainly entertain a trade of our pick this year for him in a package. I was not aware that Utah had already given up on him. Marcus Williams could be a decent substitute (not in a top three pick) for Deron if Marcus's character problems are behind him.

Quote:

I would rather have Chillz on the court doing all the little things than to have Salim on the court chucking up Shots.

I have to agree there.

Quote:

Faint praise

Quote:

I would rather have Chillz on the court doing all the little things than to have Salim on the court chucking up Shots.

I have to agree there.

Quote:

So are half the guys in the local mens leagues. lol

• Premium Member

Well, this is what I will say on the matter.

I think Utah has found that there are other PGs who can work in their system but they are looking for a franchise player. I would give them Morrison because he is that... a bonafide Franchise player.. He is a guy that the Utah faithful would pay to come and see because he is homegrown.

I think they'd give up Deron for him... especially if he has a good toruney but is still 4th or 5th...

Also...

I like MWilliams but not in the lottery. He's far too ordinary. This is why i propose trading the pick in the first place. None of these guys seem like they will add to a team. NO MWill not Foye not Riddick... They all seem overrated.

I would much rather see us looking at trading Salim than Chill. Plus, I think Salim has value as trade bait since he surely can bring the outside threat. Besides, he got mad at Woody so he's probably about 1/2way to being "Delked" anyway smirk.gif

We already have outside shooters so it's not that big of a deal losing Salim if it helps in getting a competitive big. Trading Chill would be a big deal because (while not a super player) he is savvy and gets the job done (just don't let him throw the ball inbounds at the end of the game).

• Admin

and his strength is shooting the ball. It is not defense, decision making or running an offense. Two of those three things are PURELY based on talent. You can't really teach someone how to run a team and how to make good decisions. They either have it or they don't. Defense is about effort and having the desire to improve. Salim will never be anything other than what he is, a bench scorer.

To his credit, it is not his fault that he is asked to do things outside the realm of his ability. We simply don't have anyone else to do that and he's forced to do it. It's not anyones fault really. If we had a roster that allowed him to come off the bench and spot up for shots, he could be a damned valuable player.

Quote:

I would much rather see us looking at trading Salim than Chill. Plus, I think Salim has value as trade bait since he surely can bring the outside threat. Besides, he got mad at Woody so he's probably about 1/2way to being "Delked" anyway
smirk.gif

We already have outside shooters so it's not that big of a deal losing Salim if it helps in getting a competitive big. Trading Chill would be a big deal because (while not a super player) he is savvy and gets the job done (just don't let him throw the ball inbounds at the end of the game).

Who are the other outside shooters besides JJ? Salim should be our starting PG period. He is our most talented guard outside of JJ. Only a dumb GM would trade a cheap, sharp shooting guard.

Quote:

Well the Salim arguement aside, besides him we have JJ, Al, Lue (when he gets back to health)...and everybody says Marvin has a sweet looking jumper. Chill can shoot pretty well from the outside if he is open.

Al ain't comin back. Chill is not an outside shooter, he can shoot from outside..there is a difference. Lue is ok but he isn't as talented as Salim, just more experienced.