• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smoove or Marvin

tmac13

Lets say something big comes up around draft time..We are offered Jermaine O'Neal(or some other legimate star big) for our 1st and either Smoove or Marvin..Who would you trade?

Marvin has a better shot and better handles..Smoove is much better defensively and much more aggressive..They are about equal as rebounders..They are both 3/4 tweeners.

Who do you keep?

For the record, I keep Smoove.

Quote:

Lets say something big comes up around draft time..We are offered Jermaine O'Neal(or some other legimate star big) for our 1st and either Smoove or Marvin..Who would you trade?

Marvin has a better shot and better handles..Smoove is much better defensively and much more aggressive..They are about equal as rebounders..They are both 3/4 tweeners.

Who do you keep?

For the record, I keep Smoove.

What is up with this Jermaine O'neal bull crap all of a sudden. He ain't going nowhere. Geez

• Admin

Many people like to think that time ceases to exist beyond the most recent 10 game stretch. But prior to the previous 10 games, where Josh has really stepped up. Only a fool would have acted like it was Josh running away. He was hardly better in his 2nd year than Marvin was in his first. By most accounts he was having a disappointing season. Over the last 10 games both have stepped up. But Josh is obviously benefiting from the extra years experience.

With that said, i would grudgingly trade Marvin. But I sure as hell wouldn't do it for most of the garbage trades that float by here.

Several ESPN writers have said JO will be on the trading block this summer. Since we have a lot of young players and some cap space we may be able to get in on the action, plus BK has links to the Pacers organization and has already dealt with them before. So I think there's plent of reason to speculate.

Personally, I would love to trade Marvin and the pick for JO. If we could do that it might make more sense to try and keep Al, too, since he and JO are best friends.

G: Joe Johnson

G: Josh Childress

F: Al Harrington

F: Josh Smith

C: Jermaine O'neal

Bench: Tyronn Lue, Salim Stoudamire, Zaza Pachulia

Or, what if instead of resigning Al we signed Jason Terry? Then we could have a very good starting lineup featuring people whose names all start with J.

G: Jason Terry

G: Joe Johnson

F: Josh Childress

F: Josh Smith

C: Jermaine O'neal

Bench: Tyronn Lue, Salim Stoudamire, Zaza Pachulia

To me either of those lineups, and especially the second one above, would be serious playoff contenders. In fact, I will probably spend the rest of the season imagining the Hawks getting JO this summer.

the way i see it, Indy doesnt have much reason to trade J.O.....

he loves indiana, indiana loves him, and when healthy as a team, The PACERS are sooooo good together.

come playoff time, they are a legit contender to take the East!!!

what baffles my mind, is reading that earlier they offered to trade J.O for Bosh -- was there any truth to that?

i mean, it's not a bad deal or w/e -- but what reason do they have to get rid of him?!?!

• Admin

Artest and his D is what made them contenders. The effect he had on their overall defense is what made them contenders. Without him they are a just a good team.

That team, as it is built, is not a threat to take out Detroit or Miami in a seven game series..with or without JO. They are locked into contracts with players who are talent-capped. Apart form JO, what do they have that anyone would really want?

Stephen Jackson, Tinsley, Croshere, Pollard, Peja. Those guys aren't going to get ANY better than they are today. Even JO. It's a bit much to project him to get significantly better all of a sudden. Add to that his injuries, which have slowly piled up over the last few seasons.

At some point teams have to step back and say "we've chased it far enough with this team". Pete Babcock refused to do that and it hurt us bad. Walsh has shown that he is not afraid to recognize when his team has ran its course and start over, without really starting over.

I'm not saying they will or won't. But playing devils advocate, I can easily see the logic behind doing it.

couple things, first from tmac13 said, he's only asking smoove or marvin. not a trade idea, right tmac13? second, the all j starting lineup from vdunk sounds good.

personally, it depends. i mean if we're getting a low post player inturn. i'll keep marvin(better shooting) but if we're a guard, point guard then i'll keep josh smith.

Quote:

Iam keeping Smoove all day I think he has way more potential them Marvin Williams does. Can you imagine how good our shot blocking would be with Josh Smith and Jermaine O'neal on the same team. I think Smith has all star potential and has all around better game then Marvin and they are both about the same age.

]

HAHAHA That's funny

The way i see it is that Smoove has more potential than Marvin to block more shots and that's the only thing he does better.

SAD BUT TRUE HAAA????

It's not all about shot blocking, if you look at Portland Blazers they have Theo and Prizbilla in the paint and they still give up about 100 points per game because they are not good defenders but good shot blockers. Tim Duncan, KG, and Ben Wallace are those players who play good D and block shots. Blocking 2 shots in 30 minutes is nothing if you let your man score on you 15 times.

Oh yea SMoveTheFuture you only post when there is a topic about Smoove not about Hawks and if Smoove got traded i guess you would have to leave too buddy. cool.gif

Wait so Marvin Williams does alot of things hes been freaking horrible the past 5-6 games. Your a Marvin homer right now there is no question that Smith is the better all around player. I dont only post when theres a Smith topic sorry. Dont hate because Marvin has been a huge bust to this point hes no super star never will be.

Quote:

Wait so Marvin Williams does alot of things hes been freaking horrible the past 5-6 games. Your a Marvin homer right now there is no question that Smith is the better all around player. I dont only post when theres a Smith topic sorry. Dont hate because Marvin has been a huge bust to this point hes no super star never will be.

yeaa defend your self

Go buddy

• Moderators

I would keep Josh Smith. Before this season started, I said he was the guy with the highest ceiling on this team and I still think that. He is very impressive to me and has the "wow" factor that comes from being able to do things that few players can.

If Marvin was more aggressive I might reconsider but before the season and as of now I would keep Josh.

Incidently, I don't think that is a slam on Marvin because Josh Smith would have been a top pick in last year's draft had he gone and starred at IU. He and Marvin are the same age so I don't think that the soph/rookie thing is that much of a factor.

I want to keep both, though, and think both have all kinds of potential.

If Marvin gets traded i am gonna be watching him just as much i watch Diaw now which i dont watch at all, and i liked Diaw just as i liked Marvin now,but not anymore because he dosen't play for the hawks. And everything i said about Josh Smith was positive and i don't hate him like SmoovetheFuture hates Marvin which i don't really care.

My favorite player on this Hawks team is Joe Johnson just because he is the one that can win a game for us whether Marvin plays or not

But for SmoovetheFuture would be opposite he can't really get Smoove out of his head and talk about HAwks not for one day.

It's like when somebody is addicted to some kind of drugs It must be Jsmoovekoolaid or something and he talks all kind of [censored] about Marvin on realgm.

HAATERR