• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

V for Vendetta

Jdawgflow

• Premium Member

My girlfriend and I went to see V for Vendetta last night and it was an excellent movie. Both of us were thoroughly entertained and stayed immersed in the movie from start to finish.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen it yet? And if so, what are your thoughts?

Personally, I think this movie is very plausible due to the way things are going in our world. I am not saying it is going to happen just like that, but many elements from "V" seem to be happening or in the process of happening.

I would also like to discuss more specific plot elements, but don't want to give anything away. If anyone else feels the same, please start a thread about the movie with a spoiler's subject line (or I can later if need be).

PS -- overall, I give this movie a 10 of 10

• Admin

had some pacing issues, which is why I deducted points. But overall I really liked it. Good characters, good story and good action with no major flaws. They could have spent a little more time developing V and explaining why he was abnormally powerful. They did enough foreshadowing to make it clear. I would have just liked to have known more specifics. It left me wondering, which is good in its own way. Natalie Portman is the hotness, even bald.

I never read the comics. They were written during and in response to the Margaret Thatcher era England. But the story is universally applicable. It could be set in any time period in any civilized country with laws and government with practically no changes and it would seem to address what was going on at that particular time. I had read some reviews prior to seeing it that said it draws some "shocking contrasts to todays America". But I can only assume those people went into it wanting that.

Feel free to discuss further. I am game.

I liked the flick, but I think I caught a major plot hole and it's really bothering me. So V was the one that was really torturing Natalie all along, but who was that dude that shaved her head? It was some white guy with glasses! Where did that guy come from if they were really all alone in V's little underground layer thingy? If you've got any insight please let me know cause it's driving me nuttty.

• Admin

It was "a person" wearing a white smock and white gloves. They never show his head. I think you are confusing scenes. As we saw later, V used a lot of disguises and was pretty good with them.

I thought I saw two people in a few of the scenes when they were moving her. But I rewatched them just now to see and it was just shadows.

• Premium Member

I would have liked to known more about V's past, too.

The major question that my g/f and I had, though, was about the virus that the Chancellor released on his own people. Did he release it prior to having a vaccine and V's body provided the cure? Or did he already have a vaccine to the virus and V provided a better, or different cure? That is something we never quite figured out.

• Admin

the experiment he was part of was to develop a cure for the virus before they released it. I think they were trying various drugs on the test subjects and his was the one that worked. Whether it was a combination of the drugs and his own immune system they didn't say. But it altered him and when he awoke he couldn't remember anything about himself. That's where it got vague. They didn't really say much else.

This is the best movie I have seen since "The Incredibles". And the most thought provoking since 1999, when The Matrix and American Beauty came out.

The original Matrix was a great film. But we forget this because the sequals were balls. This new film by the Wachowski's helps to untarnish the legacy of the first matrix film.

And there were a few differences from the comic books, but all-in-all it was sweet!

• Premium Member

Loved it.

Saw it on opening night. Nicely written, great acting, and excellent flow. Thought provoking...for those who care to read past the FDA approved food labels in the local supermarket.

• Moderators

Quote:

Loved it.

Saw it on opening night. Nicely written, great acting, and excellent flow. Thought provoking...for those who care to read past the FDA approved food labels in the local supermarket.

Slither or Vendetta? laugh.gif

• Premium Member

Yeah, I think that the acting was wonderful in this movie. The characters were all very unique. And it was interesting how many of these characters were portrayed (i.e. seemingly inherently evil).

The mask on V was something else that made the movie much different than most. I have not watched many movies where the main character has only one facial "expression". Whoever did the voice acting for V was great (my girlfriend especially loved it because of his word choice and style....particularly the alliteration when he first meets Eve).

• Premium Member

The thought provoking aspect of this movie is what I think sets it apart from most others. Many new movies have excellent special effects and the like, but this script is one of few that REALLY make you think about major issues IMO.