• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Since we just played Memphis . . .

Packfill

Anyone think that for the Hawks to make that quantum leap to playoff contender status the Hawks ownership will have to make a Jerry West/Hubie Brown type move?

In other words, do you think BK and Woody are still around when the team makes the shift to being a consistent winner or will their ground work be the foundation upon which a new regime will build a winner?

• Premium Member

I think that it depends on who is available.

If we can get a Rick Adleman..

Then maybe we should go after him.

If not, keep Woody.

Honestly, I think our franchise is really so broken that dragging a high profile coach in here will be very difficult so we might as well give Wood man til Jan to get his stuff together.

The thing I like about Woody's team is that they don't give up. The offense runs well. The thing I hate about them is the rotations but that is getting better.

Adelman would be an awesome selection. If we get a guy in here with a legit track record, he could immediately become the dominant personality, voice, and face of the franchise. With a guy like BK as the GM, I think we need that kind of coach, someone to take the spotlight off our ownership issues and managerial decision making.

The best coaches are typically the dominant force of the franchise, guys like Woody are not. I think its time for a new direction, and if we got a dude with a proven track record, it can only have a positive effect on the young guys.

If we grabbed another unproven coach, we'd be slipping backwards in my mind.

• Moderators

Quote:

Unfortunately,

Adelman is not a dominant personality. Geoff Petrie dominates in Sac-Town...

Agreed re Adelman's personality. However, not all great coaches are dominant personality. Look at San Antonio for a more low key approach.

In basketball, maybe more than any other sport, a good coach can have a huge impact..Look at what happened in Memphis as soon as West fired Sidney Lowe and hired Hubie Brooks..Look at Denvers turn around that happened as soon as George Karl was hired..Dallas going from a good team to a near great team as soon as they hired Avery Johnson...Phil Jacksons impact on LA this year..A good coach could help us, and rarely, does a guy who starts out shakey ever turn into a great coach.

I agree except for your last statement. I think Woody can become a great coach. I just disagree with BK's general idea that a green coach is a good fit for a green team. I think a young inexperienced team requires an established winner who can teach them the tricks. I think Woody might be great, we just don't have the time to wait on him.

I agree that Woody is not the long term answer. Realistically, both BK and Woody should get a pass this season and their long term status with the team evaluated next season. Next year at this time (i.e., the second half of next season) I want to see the team winning consistently. If the team still isn't winning then it will be time to upgrade the leadership.