• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If we make a major move this summer do you think..

Wurider05

Quote:

No GD way the Bulls lose Gordon for an extra year for Al. No other team can really compete for his services and seems to want him, why would they? Just ludicrious.

I think you're missing the point. Al is going to refuse to sign a 5 year deal when this is his big payday and he can get 6 years. So it's pretty much going to have to be a SNT. Therefore, either they give up something that we like enough, or they don't get Al. They can only sign him outright if Al accepts a shorter cheaper contract.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The compensation for Al should look like what the Bulls got for Curry last summer. Al is the best FA on the market and we should be compensated fairly for that in a SnT. Yes, I know that AL is a URFA and Curry was Restricted, but the point is we can make deals to get Al where he gets his money and we get fair compensation.

GMs are people and they will get into a bidding war, ala K-Mart and Dampier, ala Curry, and several other FA signings over the years.

Heck we can even look at what the Suns got for JJ and say that we need something similar, or we'll just resign Al now and look for a trade next year.

In all I think we can get a good package for Al.

Quote:

The compensation for Al should look like what the Bulls got for Curry last summer.

Not unless we're dealing with Isiah Thomas. I hear what you're saying, but the knicks got raped last year. No other team would have offered anywhere near that salary, much less all of the first round picks that they got on top of it.

The only real flight risk for Al is Chicago I think.

I was just thinking actually, KMart might cost us big time. With his latest tantrum, he will be traded. NY is reportedly interested in some sort of deal for KMart, possibly giving Frye up because they want a tougher guy like Martin. If a Martin for Frye package happens, NY no longer has anything of interest for us, and we lose out on the easiest team to take advantage of. Just say no to Marbury and Franchise.

True re: Martin, but the problem is that NYK really doesn't have much to offer any more since they have traded away all their picks. Second, Al looks like a much better player right now over Kenyon in terms of leadership and offense. Kenyon really only offers "toughness" combigned with a headache.

The other trade that is really going to kill us is what is KG. If KG is moved, that will be the biggest deal of the summer and we can't match that with Al's value. However, it could help us in that with Al we could get into KG looser bidding war and come out pretty good.

Lots of possibilities for this summer and it should be fun to watch.

Quote:

True re: Martin, but the problem is that NYK really doesn't have much to offer any more since they have traded away all their picks. Second, Al looks like a much better player right now over Kenyon in terms of leadership and offense. Kenyon really only offers "toughness" combigned with a headache.

The other trade that is really going to kill us is what is KG. If KG is moved, that will be the biggest deal of the summer and we can't match that with Al's value. However, it could help us in that with Al we could get into KG looser bidding war and come out pretty good.

Lots of possibilities for this summer and it should be fun to watch.

The Knicks currently own Denvers (20th) and Spurs (29th)first rond picks. In addition they have several expiring contracts and a couple of good young players. Martins value is nearly nothing at this point and I wouldn't be surprised to see Denver part with him for an expiring contract.

Everytime Martin cashes his paycheck he should be sending 10% to Jason Kidd.

As for the Bulls and Al Harrington, I can see them sending their own pick (the Bulls have enough young players) but I don't see them giving much more than that. Who is going to play 2 guard if Gordon goes? Not Deng, or Hinrich - those experiments have already failed. Gordon has shown in these three games against the heat just how important he is to the Bulls chances. (Besides, isn't Salim already better than Gordon?) I think that with Gooden, Wilcox, Nene, Pryz, Nazr, and Harrington all available that the Bulls will be able to get a good big man without sending the farm to Atlanta for Al. Just my opinion, but I think Paxson knows what he is doing.

And on a side note, I would email BK and tell him to call Isiah quick before he gets fired. Only good things can happen when you deal with Isiah, just ask Chicago, Toronto, Orlando, San Antonio... The list goes on and on...

Quote:

Spoken like someone who didn't plop down a grand or so for season tickets.

So you would rather be good for 1-2 years and then suck after that? What good is that? We have a corp of guys with great potential at starter w/ Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, and Josh Smith. Why not get some young guys to grow up with them? In their prime together in 3-4 years instead of being an 8th seed for a year or two this team could be actually contending for a title.

3-4 years from now Detroit will suck, Miami will suck, and several other aging teams will no longer be good. That will be the Hawks time. Patience my friend.

If we someohow get a top 5 pick we can make the playoffs in 2 years and seriously be contendig in 3-4. You don't just go from 26 wins to winning the title. It will take more than a year or two.

Quote:

Quote:

Spoken like someone who didn't plop down a grand or so for season tickets.

So you would rather be good for 1-2 years and then suck after that? What good is that? We have a corp of guys with great potential at starter w/ Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, and Josh Smith. Why not get some young guys to grow up with them? In their prime together in 3-4 years instead of being an 8th seed for a year or two this team could be actually contending for a title.

3-4 years from now Detroit will suck, Miami will suck, and several other aging teams will no longer be good. That will be the Hawks time. Patience my friend.

If we someohow get a top 5 pick we can make the playoffs in 2 years and seriously be contendig in 3-4. You don't just go from 26 wins to winning the title. It will take more than a year or two.

Ae you insane, I have been watching at least 10 years of bad basketball, why in the hell would I want to watch another 3 or 4 in the era of free agency. Your mentality is that of Donald Sterling of the Clippers, he kept drafting young players, and not getting free agent veterans, and as a result, when it was time for the young players to re-up on their contracts, they left. Same thing will happen here. In 3-4 years, the Joshes and Marvin Williams would be on the first thing smokin' out of town if we follow your plan. This year our oldest player was Ty Lue who was 27. That is way too young. You need veteran leadership on this team. Even if they aren't starters their advice is invaluable.

Also, the franchise businesswise can't survive 3-4 losing seasons. We had the second lowest attendance figures in the league this year, in 3-4 years this franchise could be in Vegas if it doesn't turn around.

I agree with JB here. There is no way this franchise, under the current ownership, could survive another 3-4 years of losing basketball, especially in this town. How can you do that AND convince the Joshes and Marvin to stay around when they hit free agency? This team is already losing $15-20 million a year right now with everyone under the impression that there is at least some hope with the young guys to make the playoff hiatus worthwhile; how will things look in Philips if this goes on for ANOTHER 3-4 years and that hope eventually fades away? This team has the 2nd worst attendance in the NBA (not that I blame ANYONE for not spending hard-earned $$$ on a bad product, which it is), is considered the national joke of the NBA, with Philips Arena being widely regarded as the current house of frustration because the only playoff game that it has ever hosted was for an arena league team.

Atlanta is not the type of town that supports losers of ANY kind (as the Braves will surely attest; on a side note, boy, does their bullpen stink). This isn't one of these one-team NBA towns like Portland, San Antonio, or Salt Lake where you can still get a near-packed house for a team who is TRYING hard but losing.

They have to find a way in the playoffs next season. It is imperative for the morale of the Hawk fans, the team, management, hell, the city for that matter. If it means 'selling out' to get an 'insert All-Star caliber player here', so be it.

GAME, SET, MATCH.

Guest Walter

Quote:

You make a good point but what are you willing to give up to get an All-star player.

Wurider, on this we agree. My take is two-fold. We HAVE to make a bold move now to help ensure we can resign our young talent and we shouldn't insist upon proving a philosophy potentially at odds with success in our attempt to have success. It's one thing to rebuild, it's another to do so indefinately or beyond the time frame of your initial young talent's 2nd contract. It's one thing to appreciate long and athletic, it's another to abandon necessary, proven skill sets in favor of it.

WE are dangerously close to both errors IMO. To rectify both we simply trade our most valuable and most redundant player, MW. He's a former #2 pick, good, and has PO-tential so his value is high. He plays the Sf position like JS so he's highly redundant, even moreso than Childress, who can back up both the 2 and the 3.

Trade MW for a very high pick or very high quality young player. i.e. Charlotte may prefer MW over Gay, or Adam Morrison. Trade MW for the #3 pick. Draft Bargnani and Sergio Rodriguez and impact Pg at 3 and 4 respectively. Obviously it's gotta be a good deal though.

Lineup

Sergio Rodriguez

JJ/JC

JS/JC

Bargnani/ZaZa

?/ZaZa

W

No way we trade Marvin. He is a superior player to Smoove outside of the blocks. He is a better rebounder and scorer that Smoove. He is alot smarter than Smoove as well.If one of the two need to be traded I say get rid of Smoove. My hope is that we can keep both of them and left both of them start. They can be deadly together.

Guest Walter

Quote:

My hope is that we can keep both of them and left both of them start. They can be deadly together.

Name the 2, Sf, hybrid Pf/C lineups that have competed for a title in the last, say 20 years. Finals competitors.

As "deadly" as MW and JS are, wouldn't JS and Bargnani be that much more "deadly"? AND you wouldn't necessarily have to pair the later with a mythical center.

W

To me, no one outside of JJ and perhaps Zaza is safe. IMHO, no one besides those two has played consistently ALL SEASON LONG who is not a free agent (cough cough AL), merits the right to be deemed untouchable.

In order to get something of value, you must be willing to move something of value. You can't acquire a KG, Jermaine O'Neal, or a Baron Davis for that matter (no, I DON'T want him here) and give back Donta Smith and a 2nd rounder. Sure, I'd love to keep Josh Smith and Marvin like the next guy but if the right offer comes down, where we can get an All-Star caliber player right now, to make you playoff contenders RIGHT NOW, especially without a ton of baggage, it has to be at the very least, explored upon.

Again, you have to at the very least, give the impression that you are willing to do what is necessary to make this overdue playoff departure worth enduring. Woodson has to know that, the players (who will become free agents one day) have to know that, and the fans who pay the freight RIGHT NOW and not 3-4 years down the road have to know that and staying status quo and continue the slow 'rebuilding' process just won't cut it.

• Premium Member

For many reasons, we need to look at making a push. Chiefly...

We've got too many forwards and some changes need to be made. Al is just the start, but losing him means we lose veteran leadership. I don't want to replace him with another potential player. We have enough of that.

...but alas, we are looking to add more potential via the draft this year. We already have extensive, versatile, potenially flexible talent...whatever. We are talented. The core of this team is extremely talented and it doesn't need more talent to develop. It needs players like JJ, not neccessarily that good, but a vet in the post or at the point that can bring the best out of them.

I will not be happy giving up a top 10 pick to Phoenix. The deal is done, yes. I don't care. I also don't care what they said Phoenix intended to do with JJ. A top 10 pick + a 1st + Boris is too much to give them for a player we may have been able to sign outright (or for less).

We were unknown when were good. We were mediocre when we were decent. We are a joke now that we are bad. It's time man... It's time for something to change around here. We are due.

Lastly and most importantly, we need to make a push because the end of the world is near... Yes people, the Clippers made the playoffs and may actually win a series.

MY...

GOD...

Quote:

Lastly and most importantly, we need to make a push because the end of the world is near... Yes people, the Clippers made the playoffs and may actually win a series.

MY...

GOD...

Yeah Wretch...if they win I might give up drinkin and go back to church...It'll definitely be a sign grin.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

MY...

GOD...

Yeah Wretch...if they win I might give up drinkin and go back to church...It'll definitely be a sign grin.gif

They may even have home court and be favored in the SECOND round of the playoffs. Is the sky falling yet?

Yep, it's time for all of us to start heading back to Sunday school and bible study. The mere thought of the Clippers already winning three playoff games made me stop drinking a few days ago grin.gif. The Clippers in the Western Conference Finals? I think Stern would have a stroke on the air if that went down while ABC execs exercise their stock options and run for cover. I know LA is the 2nd largest media market but 99.9999% of that derives from Laker fandome. I don't think Nicholson, Arsenio, Magic and the gang would be showing up in Staples to see the Clips and Spurs get it on for the sake of their city.

You think Fox would've rather seen the Cubs in last year's World Series than the White Sox?