• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CHAD FORD: Atlanta's answer could be Iverson

clrumph

Atlanta's answer could be Iverson

posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Here's yet another reason to panic, Hawks fans -- GM Billy Knight is thinking swingman again in this year's draft.

Here's the good news, Hawks fans -- Knight may be thinking Allen Iverson could help fix their backcourt problems this summer.

Here's what Knight told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution last week:

"Guys are running around saying, 'Point guard, point guard.' But what if I don't agree with that? ... I find [such talk] a little humorous and entertaining ... I always take talent. ... I like good basketball players, and there are a lot of 6-foot-8 players in the draft. And 6-8 is the ideal size."

While it sounds a little ridiculous for the Hawks to consider taking yet another small forward in the draft, he's made it clear that he doesn't care what you or I think.

"I hear people on sports shows," he told the Journal-Constitution, "and I think that person has as much business talking about basketball as I do running the Nuclear Regulatory Commission."

For a guy who's never presided over a playoff team in his five years as a GM, Knight sure acts like he knows what he's doing.

Maybe, just maybe, he might.

The Hawks rebuilding plan may not be quite as bad as it seems.

Several sources claim Knight has been jonesing over Italian forward Andrea Bargnani, a 7-foot combo forward who some scouts say is the closest thing they've seen to Dirk Nowitzki.

Remember, it was Knight who, while working for the Grizzlies, orchestrated the trade in 2001 that sent Shareef Abdur-Rahim to the Hawks for the No. 3 pick in the draft. Knight selected Pau Gasol with that pick. At the time he was the highest draft pick ever for a European player straight out of Europe.

I think Bargnani is a great prospect -- maybe the best prospect in the draft. The problem is that Bargnani plays the same position that Williams, Al Harrington and Josh Smith do: small forward.

What won't happen, I'm told, is the Hawks reaching for a point guard like UConn's Marcus Williams. Some have speculated that the Hawks will go for Williams because he's the best point guard on the board.

Two things shoot a hole in that theory. First, I'm told that the Hawks don't feel he's a great fit for their system. Second, Williams is a far cry from Chris Paul and Deron Williams, two players the Hawks passed on because they felt they didn't have the talent Marvin Williams did.

The problem for the Hawks is that without a great free agent point guard crop, the team would suffer through another year without a solid floor leader.

However, Knight might have a plan there too. The Hawks roll into the summer with roughly $15 million of cap space and are considering passing the free agent market altogether and make a trade pitch to the 76ers for Allen Iverson.

Knight knows he needs to start adding some star power to the team and Iverson would be a good complement to Joe Johnson in the backcourt.

The Hawks might have the goods to pull it off. Knight could offer Al Harrington (in a sign-and-trade) and one of their young players (Josh Childress or the draft rights to this year's lottery pick) for Iverson.

That would free up some of the logjam at the three and four and fill in a serious hole in the Hawks backcourt.

If the Sixers are intent on moving Iverson this summer, they'd have to seriously consider an offer like that. There aren't many teams willing to give up much to bring Iverson into the fold -- but Atlanta might actually be a decent fit.

While Iverson wouldn't be the long-term solution for the Hawks, he could add an air of respectability to the team for the next three years while their young players like Josh Smith and Williams develop. Say what you will about Iverson and his practice habits, but he plays hard, fights through injuries and tries to win every game he plays in. For a young team like the Hawks, that would mean something.

Another factor that might work in the Hawks' favor is the fact that their head coach, Mike Woodson, was an assistant coach for the Sixers from 2001 to 2003. The same source said Woodson has a good relationship with Iverson and would be willing to take him on. Given how few coaches in the league could actually handle AI, that's a plus.

Perhaps most important to Hawks owners, he'll sell a few tickets. Last season the Hawks ranked 29th in the league in attendance. The Sixers, on the other hand, had the fifth largest road draw in the league.

While Iverson has lost a little of his luster over the past few years, he still puts people in the seats.

Whether any of this plays out the way the Hawks intend is anyone's guess at this point. There's no guarantee that Bargnani is around when they pick at No. 4. No guarantee that the Sixers, as they have done the past few seasons, won't decide to hang onto Iverson and give him and Chris Webber one more shot at a title.

But at a time in Hawks history when morale is very low, it's nice to see glimmers of intelligent life emanating from one of the NBA's black holes.

we are one of the more likely destinations for AI, if AI is traded

he visits here often and has a relationship with woody, so i think he'd be ok with being traded here and wouldn't veto it

we have the cap space and assets (al+rights to gay/morrison/whomever)

ai/jj/marvin/smoove/zaza?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, AI would be an excellent addition to this team. Good article by Chad Ford. If Al & Chillz would get it done, I'd definitely say do it!!! AI and JJ could combine for over 50PPG!

• Admin

people talk about A.I not passing the ball. But he's never had a player of JJ's caliber playing next to him. They could really be something special to watch. JJ seems to be laid back enough that he wouldn't have problems with AI being the main guy either.

I'd probably do that deal.

What's amazing is while he gets accused of not passing the ball, he still has games where he has 10-15 assists. I think it's more of a point of him not having anyone he trusts to pass the ball to. If the shots aren't dropping, he gives it up.

Chillzatl, have you heard anything to show any validity to the Hawks even having a resonable shot at getting Iverson or whether or not they're seriously entertaining this?

I say no. Iverson is a great talent but what is the point of adding him when it would still leave the team bereft of an inside presence?

Plus don't you think he would get a little cranky with the growing pains of the young players? Also, Josh Childress is the exact type of complimentary player you want to have playing with AI, so giving him up in the deal would not make alot of sense.

Quote:

What's amazing is while he gets accused of not passing the ball, he still has games where he has 10-15 assists. I think it's more of a point of him not having anyone he trusts to pass the ball to. If the shots aren't dropping, he gives it up.

Chillzatl, have you heard anything to show any validity to the Hawks even having a resonable shot at getting Iverson or whether or not they're seriously entertaining this?

People said the same thing about Jason Terry before he was run out of town.

The question is how many years does AI have left? I thought he'd already be declining a lot by now, but that flat out hasn't happened. He's 31. He has a huge deal but he earns every penny. AI+JJ should be automatic playoffs immediately. There's obviously something to be said for that, and he would get butts in the seats

If Al+Chill would get it done I think I'd do it because we can still draft a big. My guess is they'd insist on Al + Marvin or Smith or the pick, not sure if I do those. AI for Al/Chill would leave:

AI/Lue

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Smith

Smith/Bargnani

Zaza/??

or something like that if we get Bargnani or some other big in the draft. We'd be a veteran big man away from a loaded squad, full of potential.

i'd go for it. I like Chill but this is a chance to bring the franchise back in the light. We would still have to get another big man in free agency (Pryz?) or something though.

Then, we could draft say Dee Brown if he falls into the 2nd round to be the point of the future if he can get his shot down.

• Admin

IF we signed Al to a 8mil, 6 year deal and threw in childress, it could work. We'd still retain a good bit of our cap. But I seriously doubt Philly would want Al at a near max contract. But then again, he is consistantly listed as one of the top 2-3 free agents this year. So who knows...

Quote:

IF we signed Al to a 8mil, 6 year deal and threw in childress, it could work. We'd still retain a good bit of our cap.

I don't see how. We have about $15 million in cap space now and Childress will make about $3 million next year bringing the total to $18 million that we can take back. That is exactly what Iverson will make next year.

you mean sign the FA's before doing Al's SNT? Because just adding AI's contract has to put us close to the cap limit right?

Guestimating some figures:

Joe Johnson $12,5 M

AI $18.3

Zaza Pachulia $4

Marvin Williams $4.2

Tyronn Lue $3.5

Josh Smith $1.5

John Edwards $1.

Salim Stoudamire $.75 M

Donta Smith $.75

Royal Ivey $.75

Esteban Batista $.66 M

That's $47.9 M for 11 guys. Where will the cap be?

Would love to see that deal happen if we send Barangni instead of Chill or any other of our young players along with Harrington to Philly.

But my only question is...doesn't BK like physical PGs/

AI, Lue...too small.