• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why shouldn't we pick Morrison?

Diesel

• Moderators

Quote:

1 year 12 days...

You're saying that the difference between a Sf who puts up 8.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, shooting 44.3%...

vs.

A PG putting up 16.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg, and 7.8 apg, shooting 43%.

I won't mention that PG is the hardest position in the game to learn. I won't mention that Sf is the easiest position in the game to learn..

All I will say is that 1 year 12 days makes the difference...

AND

for Hawks fans....

Even though there's only 1 year 12 days difference, in 3 yrs, MW will prove that he's BPA.

How much BS can this board hold?

MW was never the BPA and will never be the BP from that draft. We got BK'd...

MW was Hype and Body type.. and 1 yr 12 days... is a joke...

My next post can be... 7 months, 14 days in comparison to JSmoove.

Marvin to J Smoove = 7 months, 14 days.

I recall a draft where a PG was selected who averaged 15.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg and 7.8 apg his rookie year and was nowhere near the BPA compared to a swingman who averaged 7.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, and 1.3 apg his rookie year.

The difference in their age was 1 year and 6 months.

The swingman turned out to be a dramatically better player than the PG despite the small difference in age.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

This is a conundrum, positionally Morrison is more redundant. Skill-wise Thomas is more redundant. No good answer here.

I don't think that Thomas is redundant skill-wise at all. He may be redundant size-wize. I think Thomas will be very much like K-Mart in that he will play good D, block shots and play HARD all the time while lacking a real offensive game. I do think he will rebound better than K-Mart though. His offense will likely be based on dunks in transition and putbacks, at least at first. He is currently undersized for the PF position but like K-Mart, he will make up for that lack of size with hustle and sheer athleticism. Hopefully, he will fill out as he gets older. I don't think Josh or Marvin have skills that are redundant to Thomas' even though all 3 are of similar size. I don't see anything about Thomas that says SF and many would argue that both Josh and Marvin are more SF than PF.

Quote:

This is an interesting definition of support. You didn't agree with it but you won't further argue against it.

The difference between you and me is that I can disagree with a pick but yet still support the pick (and the player) once the pick has been made. Year before last, I thought we should have taken Deng or Iguodala at #6 but after we took Chillz, I supported the pick and the player. You on the otherhand, bashed Chillz and basically gave him no chance of ever becoming a player anywhere near as good as Deng, Iguodala or even Kirk Snyder. The year before that, I thought we should have taken Josh Howard or Barbosa instead of Diaw but after the pick was made, I supported that pick too.

Quote:

agree. That's why I believe if this team is to be (re)made, this offseason is the one to do it in. Next offseason we won't have a draft pick, we won't have potentially Al to trade or package with one of our redundant assets to get a superstar, and we will have less cap space. If he can't get it right this offseason I believe he and we are screwed. Young talent isn't going to enjoy losing and being forced to play out of position.

I think rushing to a decision to trade Marvin (or Smoove) this offseason is a mistake. If the right offer is made, fine, pull the trigger. But it is not a panic situation at all. I think both Josh's and Marvin's value are only going to increase as they get better.

If we add Aldridge, Bargnani, Thomas or Roy to the group we have now and we get a PG (or big man depending on who we draft) in return for Al in a sign and trade, I think we will be on our way to becoming a very good team.

Quote:

The difference between you and me is that I can disagree with a pick but yet still support the pick (and the player) once the pick has been made.

There is a word for that. It's called maturity. Unfortunately a few on this board don't have it.

Quote:

"Smoove doesn't have the tools to be a superstar. "

-Lascar

Diesel, I don't believe that you have the tools to be a superstar poster. Therefore, we're working on a deal right now to trade you to the Knicks board for a bag of Cheetos and a sixer of PBR.

The guy who has one the last two MVPs was a role player until his FIFTH year in the league.

Chris Bosh went from 11.5 ppg and 7.4 rbg in year one to 22.5 ppg and 9.2 rbg in year three.

Kobe went from 7.6 ppg amd 1.9 rbg in year one to 19.9 ppg and 5.3 rbg in year three.

T Mac went from 7.0 ppg and 4.2 rbg in year one to 26.8 ppg and 7.5 rbg in year four.

Just because Paul was better last year doesn't mean he will be better 2 or 3 years from now. He MIGHT be. But he might not be either.

Bottom line, it doesn't matter. No matter how much you dislike Marvin, we can't go back and take Paul instead. I choose to support Marvin. You choose to bash him. You've made your choice. I've made mine. So be it.

• Moderators

Quote:

Kobe went from 7.6 ppg amd 1.9 rbg in year one to 19.9 ppg and 5.3 rbg in year three.

For what it is worth, Kobe was the swingman in my previous post and Stephon Marbury was the PG who is only 1 year, 6 months older. The situation is also somewhat similar in terms of a good vet being in front of Kobe (Al Harrington/Eddie Jones) and Paul and Marbury getting essentially free reign their first years. I'd bet on Paul being better than Marbury and Kobe better than Marvin but the point is that at the end of their rookie years Kobe had a ways to catch up with Marbury and not much difference in age between them.

• Premium Member

I say if we win the lottery... To hell with getting one of the better players, let's take Sene...

He's a project that will take 3-4 years to become something useful... In the meantime we can suck and talk about how young he is and how much potential he has.

That's a welfare mentality.

Sometimes, it's just good to go with the real best player available and not the best project available.

Projects don't always end up like Tmac or KG.

Sometimes you get a Kendrick Brown, Travis Outlaw, or a Darius Miles...

Just imagine...

Had Chicago elected to hold on to Elton Brand instead of trading him away for the project Tyson Chandler??

Imagine...

Had Portland taken Tayshun Prince instead of Quintel Woods??

It's right there in black and white...

These GMs have gone project crazy and good players are ending up with Goog teams while projects end up with bad teams and the bad teams are right back in the lottery again!

The good news for D. Stern is that Atlanta has to be very bad to be back in the lottery next year!

• Premium Member

Stephon Marbury could be the best PG in the game right now IF he had the right attitude. His attitude SUCKS...

WHAT is it that Marbury can't do or what skill does he lack??

His attitude is the only thing that holds him back.

But I don't see the same problem with Paul. Primarily because Paul is a winner.

secondly, comparing Marvin to Kobe is a bad joke right?

• Moderators

Quote:

If you want to believe in fairy tales, that's fine...

????

That is exactly what you posted - stats and age. That is your rationale - that with only a year or so difference in age you can assess players immediately after their rookie year.

I already said I don't buy the analysis and don't think either player is comparable. What is the fairy tale?

I'd bet on Paul being the better guy, but I recognize you need to wait and see.

Ben Wallace at age 21 wasn't nearly the prospect that Tony Battie was at age 21. Wait and see.

Olowokandi was a project. Tyson Chandler was a project. Marvin already has skills, he just needs to play the game. I have absolutely NO doubt that Marvin will be a very good NBA player for the next 15 years if he stays healthy and if he works hard, he could become a GREAT player.

• Premium Member

No...

My point was that when compared to Chris Paul as to who is the BPA..

People always says.. BUT Marvin is only 19.

1 year. 12 days....

Paul is so much better than Marvin right now because of 1 year 12 days... Ridiculous isn't it?

That's my point!

• Premium Member

Actually, Paul is already better than Marvin and Paul was better than Marvin on draft night June 28, 2005...

Marvin = Best Player Available is a JOKE....

Why do I mention this.

Those who do not understand History and truth are bound to repeat it.

RUDY RUDY RUDY...

BK has given you no reason to believe that he won't pick Rudy Gaye.

If you're fool enough to fall for Rudy Gaye BPA at #5, then you deserve what you get...

• Moderators

Quote:

Actually, Paul is already better than Marvin and Paul was better than Marvin on draft night June 28, 2005...

Marbury was better than Kobe after their first year and better on draft night. It didn't make him the better player in the long run.

I still bet on Paul being the better player in the long run but we aren't at the point where you have the evidence you need to make a definitive statement.

Quote:

Those who do not understand History and truth are bound to repeat it.

RUDY RUDY RUDY...

BK has given you no reason to believe that he won't pick Rudy Gaye.

If you're fool enough to fall for Rudy Gaye BPA at #5, then you deserve what you get...

I am with you on Gay. I want no part of him.

• Moderators

Quote:

No...

My point was that when compared to Chris Paul as to who is the BPA..

People always says.. BUT Marvin is only 19.

1 year. 12 days....

Paul is so much better than Marvin right now because of 1 year 12 days... Ridiculous isn't it?

That's my point!

Marbury was much better than Kobe after their rookie years and Laker fans would have said "1 year, 6 months." What is the big difference?

• Premium Member

Even with Marvin has his rugrats backpack on and is holding a XBox 360 controller and he has #8 for the Lakers under his control, Marvin is not Kobe.

As you know... any case can be exaggerated.. A few years later, Mike Bibby was picked ahead of Al Harrington.... That's a little more comparable. Look at them now.

• Premium Member

Do you think he's immature?

It's an easy to answer question. One year is all it takes.

Coming in everybody knew that coaching Iverson would be difficult.

When Marbury couldn't get along with KG and Googs, people realized that there would be problems down the road.

Chris knows what to say and what to do...