• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why shouldn't we pick Morrison?

Diesel

Guest Walter

Quote:

Morrison and Thomas to take Morrison over Thomas if both are available when we pick (although I do think Morrison will be the better NBA player NEXT year). However, BK might see it differently. He might think there is a big gap between the two and as our GM who gets paid to evaluate talent, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt if he decides to go with Morrison.

This is a conundrum, positionally Morrison is more redundant. Skill-wise Thomas is more redundant. No good answer here.

Quote:

Last year, I didn't think there was a big enough gap between Marvin and Paul to pick Marvin over Paul but obviously BK did and I supported (and still support) BK's decision. Time will tell if BK was right. I sure hope he was.

This is an interesting definition of support. You didn't agree with it but you won't further argue against it.

Quote:

Bottom line, I am willing to give BK at least two more off seasons (this one and next) to put this team in place. By that time, Smoove and Chillz will be going into their fourth seasons and Marvin inot his 3rd. If BK is doing his job, we should be ready to be very competitive by then (playoffs at least). If we aren't, I think it is time to look in a different direction.

I agree. That's why I believe if this team is to be (re)made, this offseason is the one to do it in. Next offseason we won't have a draft pick, we won't have potentially Al to trade or package with one of our redundant assets to get a superstar, and we will have less cap space. If he can't get it right this offseason I believe he and we are screwed. Young talent isn't going to enjoy losing and being forced to play out of position.

BTW, Be very afraid of a GM on his last leg. He can do some wild things to prolong his job.

W

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Therefore, if Morrison is the best player available, that's who we take.

This is the real question. Last year every GM and draft site had Marvin and Bogut as the two best players period, no questions. Then you had this split between who was the best between Deron and Paul as the 3rd and 4th best players.

Thomas and Aldridge are just like Marvin and Bogut were last year.

Unless you have been to other sites than me, its pretty much split between 4 players as to who go will go 3, 4, 5, and 6.

There is just no clear cut 3 an 4 like we had last year with Paul and Deron.

Maybe after all the workouts things will be clearer; but right now, either Gay, Bargnani, Morrison, or even Williams could be argued to be the BPA after Aldridge and Thomas are gone.

• Premium Member

Sorry, but Last year, there was nothing clear cut about Marvin being "BPA" except the unbelievable hype that he got and is still getting.

Both Paul and Deron were proven.. and better.. and needed. Marvin was redundant, unproven, and hyped.

• Moderators

Quote:

Sorry, but Last year, there was nothing clear cut about Marvin being "BPA" except the unbelievable hype that he got and is still getting.

Both Paul and Deron were proven.. and better.. and needed. Marvin was redundant, unproven, and hyped.

Call it hype if you want, but the reported consensus opinion of scouts was Marvin Williams/Andrew Bogut at 1/2. Call them idiots, etc. but the opinion as reported in the press was that Marvin was the guy with the biggest potential to be a star and Bogut was the top big man in the draft. The debate at 3/4 was between Paul and Deron.

Everyone (KB excepted) agrees that Paul appears to have been the right pick as of today. (I don't think everyone would agree with Deron based on his unexceptional rookie season. You'd probably find as many squawkers who like Felton today as Deron.)

As for positional need, there is no question that a PG or big man would have filled need better - but that is a different question than which player would ultimately be the best player from this draft. Few picked Marvin to be the best his rookie year, but many picked him to be best 5 years out.

• Premium Member

I suggest to you that the only reason why many people rated Marvin #2 is because they knew that we were picking 2nd.

Marvin had 2 bad workouts. The workout for Milwaukee was admittedly bad, the workout for us, he had to take breathers...

Marvin didn't prove himself at UNC. He wasn't even better than the guy playing in front of him!

He wasn't one of the top players in his HS class. He projected 5th or 6th... and some even had him lower than that..

So what is it that makes him BPA?

Must be body type. I keep hearing about 6'9 really 6'7 3/4... I keep hearing about a flawless shooting touch...

But none of those things make up for what Paul and Deron was bringing to the table.

• Moderators

Quote:

So what is it that makes him BPA?

Must be body type. I keep hearing about 6'9 really 6'7 3/4... I keep hearing about a flawless shooting touch...

But none of those things make up for what Paul and Deron was bringing to the table.

To conclude that NBA scouts relied on body type alone or should do so is deliberately disingenuous. I know you are trying to make a point but NBA scouts did not rely on body type alone in evaluating Marvin (or any other player possibly other than someone like George Muresan). I also know you don't think they should do so. I agree for obvious reasons.

• Premium Member

Quote:

BA scouts did not rely on body type alone in evaluating Marvin

What do you think this great potential is born out of...

Marvin gets a pass on his performance at UNC because....

HE was a freshman and Roy doesn't start freshmen.

I have to look into weather hansborough was a starter.

Marvin gets a pass on his workouts because....

He was only 18

Marvin gets a pass on his first year because...

He was only 19

However, all the while, Paul is Leading WFU for 2 years.

Paul is a winner on every level.

Deron is dominating at Illinois.

Deron playing on the Jr. team for USA is a dominant force leaving MJ to say that this kid is one of the best PGs I've ever played against.

Paul is being compared to ISiah Thomas.

So when it comes to Marvin's hype/potential, what's left for you to base it on???

Quote:

Quote:

He was only 18

He was only 19

Deron playing on the Jr. team for USA is a dominant force leaving MJ to say that this kid is one of the best PGs I've ever played against.

So when it comes to Marvin's hype/potential, what's left for you to base it on???

heeeeere fishy fishy fishy....... heeeeeere fishy fishy fishy

Paul was arguably the 3rd best point in the ACC behind Jack and Felton.

And Deron Williams was arguably the 3rd best guard on his team behind Luther Head and Dee Brown. In fact if Dee Brown was 3 inches taller he probably would have gone ahead of Deron Williams.

I love revisionist historians.

"The funny thing is that some of the people that bash Morrison are the same people who think Bargnani should be the pick. The thing is, neither is a great athlete by NBA standards and other then a few inches in height, they are similar players with similar skills."

I am really getting tired of the "great athletes" who have no heart and don't know their fundamentals. Its those same "Great Athletes" that get their butts kicked by a bunch of Euros doing what we used to do. Jumping, dunking, and blocking shots are just part of the game. I want to see someone desire to win and will work hard to do it. Not just a flashy player, but a complete ballplayer. That's why I like Roy. I don't know about Morrison - but my guess is that we won't have to worry. He'll be going to Portland. Just makes too much sense for them.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Paul was arguably the 3rd best point in the ACC behind Jack and Felton.

And Deron Williams was arguably the 3rd best guard on his team behind Luther Head and Dee Brown. In fact if Dee Brown was 3 inches taller he probably would have gone ahead of Deron Williams.

I love revisionist historians.

All I can do is laugh.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He was only 18

He was only 19

heeeeere fishy fishy fishy....... heeeeeere fishy fishy fishy

It seems that you are finding ways to say that Marvin was a bad pick for the Hawks and I'm finding ways to say that he was a good one. And that's OK. I'm not trying to change your opinion or anything. But after just one season, why give up on him? If you think we made a mistake...fine. As of right now your argument has tons of validity. But let's not compound the "mistake" by labeling him a bust and moving on after just one season. What if he's like Jermaine O'Neil in that he struggled for a season or three before becoming a marquee player. I bet Portland feels pretty dumb for giving up on JO.

BTW, I plan on becoming a regular at this site (it's darn good in my estimation) and I'm going to prepare you all for my type of thinking. I watch sports as a recreation. As such I don't need it ruining my days (got too much other stuff that can do that). So I'm going to be pretty optimistic. Basically that's my HOMER CONFESSION.

• Premium Member

Give up on him being a superstar?

or

Give up on him being a good player?

I think Marvin will be a good player. One that we can count on for scoring 16 and pulling down about 7 boards. But there's nothing about Marvin or how he plays the game or his intensity that suggests to me that he will be a superstar.

I really do hope Marvin proves me wrong. However, I think that his pick was based solely on Hype and body type. For us, he was the wrong pick.

What I know is that for any team, there is a homerism when it comes to players that they have drafted. This is true for Marvin also. People want to believe that Marvin is greater than he is showing.... despite the fact that his GM comes out and says " he has a slower learning curve than most drafted"... we want to believe that somehow this wait is what's best... Never mind the fact that guys who play the same position like Villanueva and the guy in Indy have already started showing signs that they get it... We are content to sit back and make excuses..

Oh, he's only 19. To me, Marvin is only 1 yr and 12 days younger than Chris Paul. Does 1 year and 12 days make that much of a difference.

Chris Paul is ROY.

Marvin at 1 year, 12 days behind is expected to take 3 - 4 yrs to develop?

YET, Marvin was the BPA??

Come on now...

I can see the BS... and I'm a Hawks fan.

Who predicted the Hawks would win 40 games this past season?

Who predicted the Hawks would win 10 straight after getting blown out by Miami?

Who insisted all year long that the Hawks were still in the playoff race?

Who proclaimed Zaza as the second best center in the east?

You have no business accusing anyone of homerism.

Quote:

Oh, he's only 19. To me, Marvin is only 1 yr and 12 days younger than Chris Paul. Does 1 year and 12 days make that much of a difference.

Chris Paul is ROY.

Marvin at 1 year, 12 days behind is expected to take 3 - 4 yrs to develop?

YET, Marvin was the BPA??

I'm not sure if I buy into the age factor either. I do think it is hard to compare big men to guards, especially point guards.

Diesel you seem to be firm in your rationale that MW was not the BPA. However, you should give it time before coming to such a conclusion. Perhaps give it three years and then compare the two. What if MW goes for 20 and 10 next year and CP's numbers drop?

I think Billy knew AH was gone(price tag, defense) and that he needed to fill that spot. MW brought the most to the table in his eyes. With JJ on board I don't think BK is looking for a PG that dominates the ball like Paul. I think Livingston is the type of PG BK wants, excellent floor vision, length, and makes quick decisions. You don't see Livingston holding the ball, pounding it into the floor. He gets the ball and passes or makes a move.

I hope BK can trade for Livingston.

• Premium Member

1 year 12 days...

You're saying that the difference between a Sf who puts up 8.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, shooting 44.3%...

vs.

A PG putting up 16.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg, and 7.8 apg, shooting 43%.

I won't mention that PG is the hardest position in the game to learn. I won't mention that Sf is the easiest position in the game to learn..

All I will say is that 1 year 12 days makes the difference...

AND

for Hawks fans....

Even though there's only 1 year 12 days difference, in 3 yrs, MW will prove that he's BPA.

How much BS can this board hold?

MW was never the BPA and will never be the BP from that draft. We got BK'd...

MW was Hype and Body type.. and 1 yr 12 days... is a joke...

My next post can be... 7 months, 14 days in comparison to JSmoove.

Marvin to J Smoove = 7 months, 14 days.