Why shouldn't we pick Morrison?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Those who say we should pass on Morrison because we have Smoove and Marvin are being extremely shortsighted in my opinion. I don't think there is any question that most GMs would take Morrison over Marvin or Smoove. I have heard many (including GMs, teammates, peers and current NBA players) say that Morrison will play in multiple All Star games at some point in his career. Marvin has yet to sniff an All Star invite and Smoove has a LONG way to go before he will merit All Star consideration. If we have a chance to gobble up a guy that many believe will be a future All Star, I can't fathom passing on him for a lesser talent at a so-called position of need.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, according to BK JJ is still our point so you might as well draft Morrison or Gay and pretend they are a 2..Let Chillz play the 3, pretend Marvin is a 4, Smoove is a 5 and there you have it..The worlds 1st all 6'8"/6'9" team..

Yeah right. Morrison has bust written all over him. Using your logic Diesel you have just justified why BK took Marvin over Chris Paul. IN YOUR OWN WORDS DUDE YOU HAVE JUST SHOT DOWN WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN PREACHING ABOUT FOR ALMOST A YEAR!!!!!!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yeah right. Morrison has bust written all over him. Using your logic Diesel you have just justified why BK took Marvin over Chris Paul. IN YOUR OWN WORDS DUDE YOU HAVE JUST SHOT DOWN WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN PREACHING ABOUT FOR ALMOST A YEAR!!!!!!

I can't believe that after all of this time, you guys continue to allow Diesel to yank your chain! And he does it the same way over and over and you fall for it. Crazy

If Gay was Scottie Pippen then, YES, take him but I have a hard time believing he will be. I'd like to focus on players with some heart. I can't stand that lackadaisical stuff. I don't mind a little less talent for more IQ and heart most of the time. That is really my only reason to consider a player like Brandon Roy.

• Premium Member

You mean like last year???

Marvin was not bpa. unless the p stood for potential.

Look at Morrison critically.

This guy really could be the next Bird. He's not an athelete... but he's a scorer. Not only is he a scorer, but he's a winner. Sometimes you ought to get the guy that just hates to lose. Those guys play with a lot more intensity than anybody else. That's the cloth that Jordan, Bird, and Magic were molded from. Hate to lose. When you put talent with hate to lose, you got something. I told you that last year with Paul... I'm saying it again with Morrison. In this case, if Morrison is available, he will be BPA...

So the same rules should apply right.

I'll keep pulling up Lascar and Traceman arguments for drafting BPA to prove the point...

Diesel, to be honest, I'm pretty confident in BK so I'll go with whoever he decides to choose. I, personally, didn't like what I saw of Rudy Gay. He seemed like he didn't care out there. I have to say, though, that UCONN players have a history of turning out OK in the Pros. I loved Adam Morrison in college b/c he wanted it so bad. I really respected him for that. I'm just not sure how he'll make the transition to the Pros. Defense is our obvious weaknesses or area in need of improvement so I'm really hoping that the player drafted is at least average on defense. Is Morrison average on Defense at any position?

• Premium Member

Really, it's hard to say... But here's a thought...

How athletic was Larry Bird? And how well did he play defense? I'm not saying that Morrison is as good as Bird, or even close (who is?), but simply that fans and scouts tend to overrate athleticism and underrate basketball skills. The dust bin of NBA history is littered with washouts who were big, quick, strong and athletic -- and couldn't play worth a damn. And meanwhile, players like John Stockton and Steve Nash and Chris Mullin and (just to show that it's not entirely a racist thing) Mark Jackson always have to fight questions about their abilities.

When you see a winner, you should go with it...

• Premium Member

On Tuesday we find out our draft position.

If we move up 3rd.. We're probably going to take Bargnani... I can imagine that BK is having a longing for Bargnani because he's a 7 foot Sf. BK can call this guy a C or PF and everybody will believe him.

If we move down... I think that either PTL or CHA moves to take Morrison. I can't see either team going for a PF... With Charlotte needing a scorer, I can see them taking Morrison and hiding him within Wallace, Okafor, and Felton...

I don't really think we have a shot at Morrison.. and If we trade up or move up to #1 or 2.... I think we will take either Aldridge or Thomas.. Probably Thomas...

Uh no he would not be picked before SMOOVE or MARVIN dude lets not even compare MORRISON to BIRD. He will never even be half the player BIRD was the point is we do not need anymore SG or SF no more 6'8 or 6'9 players period. Unless MORRISON can play C or PG dont pick him. Diesel You must be BILLY KNIGHT or something.

In that post, I wote:

Quote:

the assumption must be that those two guys are CLEARLY better than the rest of the field. This is where BK's talent evaluation skills are most important. If BK truly believes there is a big gap between M. Williams and Paul (or D. Williams), I think he needs to take Marvin and go from there. If he evaluates M. Williams and Paul (or D. Williams) as being virtually equal, he should take Paul (or D. Williams) because we clearly need a PG. To me, its that simple.

In other words, if there is a big gap between Morrison (or Gay) and Aldridge (or Bargnani or Thomas), I'd take Morrison (or Gay) and look to trade Al (and probably Chillz) to get a big man. Honestly though, I don't see that as being the case in this draft.

Again, this is why BK gets paid the big bucks. Apparently, he thinks Marvin will eventually be a significantly better player than Paul. HOPEFULLY, he will be right. That said, if he thinks Morrison or Gay will be better than any of the bigs in the draft, he had BETTER be right.

If BK passes on Aldridge, Thomas or Bargnani and takes Morrison or Gay without getting a big man in trade (or free agency), he had better hope that whoever he chooses shows IMMEDIATELY that they were the right pick OR that Marvin blossoms in year two. I don't think he could survive another year where a guy he passes on at a position of need outshines his pick, particularly if Paul is still significantly better than Marvin.

Carney was interviewed about Morrison and played the tape at halftime of a game during the tournament. As you know Carney is a great athlete, just the type Morrison will be going against in the pros.

Carney said Morrison is very strong, much more so than he appears. He said he couldn't handle Morrison in the post. Then they showed clips of Morrison posting up Carney repeatedly and scoring on him easily.

• Premium Member

Whenever you consider BPA, then you do not consider what you have already.

Therefore, if Morrison is the best player available, that's who we take.

Your thought may be that Morrison will not be BPA because of our need...

Quote:

In other words, if there is a big gap between Morrison (or Gay) and Aldridge (or Bargnani or Thomas), I'd take Morrison (or Gay) and look to trade Al (and probably Chillz) to get a big man. Honestly though, I don't see that as being the case in this draft.

If you're honest, you will admit that Aldridge won't be available when we pick. Secondly, there's nothing about Thomas specifically that says that he is better than Morrison. Thomas is more unproven hype. and for the second year and the row, you're willing to go with unproven hype over proven player...