Plainview1981

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Hall of Famers in their prime are never bad for rebuilding teams. Adding stiffs through free agency or the draft definitely won't help you.

Please explain why the 76ers have missed the playoffs twice in the last 3 seasons.

There are many reasons for that, and I don't think it can all be laid squarely on AI's shoulders. Also, I don't think he's on the verge of collapse any time soon.

The same reason we missed the playoffs With JT, Theo, Reef and Big Dog...bad Chemistry, and players like Dalembert, not playing up to potential. They had no dynamic playmakers to compliment A.I. the closest player they had was Korver, who is more streaky then Windex.

Iguodala, is pretty much a hustle player with no discernible game right now. Dalembert was an underachiever, and webber had bad wheels. A recipe for disaster.

We can offer AI something he hasn't had. A dynamic playmaker in JJ. A young talented player in Marvin Williams. A do everything player in Josh Smith and a hustler and offensive rebounder in Zaza Pachulia. Could you imagine the 2 man game that JJ and A.I could play. OR A.I and Zaza. Could you imagine AI on the break throwing Alley oops to Josh or Marvin? It would work.

Right. But he had perennial all-star Webber (granted he's old - but 20-10-3 is no joke), defensive shot-blocking center Dalembert, budding star Iguodala, sharp shooter Korver, and they missed the playoffs. We have JJ whose talent is comparable to Webber, Zaza who is better offensively but much worse defensively than Dally, Salim who is comparable to Korver, and then our young guys are Chill-Smith-Marvin, whereas their only impact young gun is Iguodala.

My point is that AI would not even guarantee us the playoffs. And, his body can break down at any time. Granted, it hasn't happenned so far, but let's be honest, we're the hawks. Knowing our luck, the day he shows up here is the day he develops a bad case of plantar fascitis.

Besides, the reason the 6ers couldn't win last year, is that our horrendous D was 26th in the league. Philly was ... 25th. We are very similar teams except that we are young and they are aging. If AI came here, our team would have the same problems that Philly had last year.

Bringing AI over at his salary and missing the playoffs would be a TOTAL disaster.

• Moderators

I wonder if AI can really coexist with any other star. That is my main concern with the trade. He has such a need to dominate the shots and the ball that the Sixers have not even tried to bring in a proven offensive force to match with him until Webber and they have shipped out every young offensive talent they tried to develop because he didn't mesh with AI (Hughes, Stackhouse, Van Horn, Thomas, etc.) The most success AI has enjoyed was with a team that let him do his thing offensively and was built to defend and rebound - which is far from our MO.

At the same time, he is a very exciting talent and if he was ready to integrate into an offense more in the way that Sacramento, Dallas, Phoenix, etc. have run "team" oriented offenses in recent years then he would be huge for this team and a great addition. He is still a stud and has only gotten more efficient the last few years.

Whether I would pull the trigger on this would depend on whether I thought AI could be part of a team where he was a part of the offense and not need a team where the offense revolved almost excusively around him as it has in Philly throughout his time there.

You analogy is inexact. Webber is more like Harrington than JJ. The numbers are similar but they score in different ways.

Iguodala may be = to Smith in some regards, but Smith is a more intimidating shot blocker than Iguodala will ever be.

Marvin is supposed to be a transcendant talent and therefore will be the 3rd star that every team must have

Zaza isn't a good defender, but he has more heart in his big toe than Dalembert has in his entire body. Let's not forget that Dalember lost his starting job to Steven Hunter, who a month prior was traded for a second round draft pick.

• Moderators

Quote:

Everyone that you have mentioned has played with at least 3 teams. So obviously they couldn't play with a lot of people.

Shaquile ONeal has played on 3 teams but I don't know what that has to do with anything.

The numbers on Iverson are pretty astounding and raise a real question on his ball usage, IMO.

Rookie Year

Iverson 1504 FGA

Stackhouse 1308 FGA

2nd Year

Iverson 1407 FGA

Next two highest players combined: 1551 FGA

SHIPPED OUT STACKHOUSE

DRAFTED LARRY HUGHES

3rd Year (Strike Season)

Iverson 1056 FGA

Next two highest players combined: 965 FGA

4th Year

Iverson 1733 FGA

Next three highest players combined: 1897 FGA

SHIPPED OUT LARRY HUGHES

5h Year

Iverson 1813 FGA

Next three highest players combined: 1917 FGA

6th Year

Iverson 1669 FGA (missed 22 games with injury)

Next two highest players combined: 1573 FGA

7th Year

Iverson 1940 FGA

Next two highest players combined: 1751 FGA

SHIPPED OUT KEITH VAN HORN

8th Year

Iverson played in just over half the games due to injury (48): 1125 FGA

Next highest FGA: 813 FGA

SHIPPED OUT GLENN ROBINSON

9th Year

Iverson 1818 FGA

Next two highest players combined: 1490 FGA

WEBBER ADDED (his FGAs drop by 2.5 and APG drop by 2.4 after trade)

10 Year

Iverson 1822 FGA

Next highest 1422 FGA

Can he adjust to being a part of a system instead of a system? That is my key question.

Quote:

Can he adjust to being a part of a system instead of a system?

No. He has always been a gunner as your numbers point out very clearly.

Nobody wants to acknowlege the reason that Philly wants to trade a HOF player after a career season. Bottom line they know they aren't going to win with him.

• Moderators

Quote:

Shaq can't play with other stars obviously.

But the point is that I think that being shipped from the franchize that you have known as home for 10 years will tend to shake your way of thinking.

Shaq obviously can play with other stars.

Whether AI could be shaken out of his total domination of the ball is the key question for me. If he could be, then I would definitely do the deal if it was something like an Al and Childress deal.

Quote:

Really, so I guess that whole Penny Hardaway and Kobe thing was totally their fault?

Shaq got to the Finals with Penny and won 3 rings with Kobe. He has shown that he can play just fine with other stars and is pretty much a lock to be in the conference finals no matter where he is playing.

Quote:

Quote:

Really, so I guess that whole Penny Hardaway and Kobe thing was totally their fault?

Shaq got to the Finals with Penny and won 3 rings with Kobe. He has shown that he can play just fine with other stars and is pretty much a lock to be in the conference finals no matter where he is playing.

So A.I can't play with others because he didn't actually win the Finals with Eric Snow and Theo Ratliff. I get it now.

Quote:

So A.I can't play with others because he didn't actually win the Finals with Eric Snow and Theo Ratliff. I get it now.

I thought you were talking about star players? Oh i forgot you always have to change the subject when you are shown to be wrong.

Okay so now you are trying to argue that A.I is better with no names than he is with stars. So basically we would have to trade JJ for Speedy Claxton in order to make it work.

You guys are getting more ridiculous everyday.

Why don't you guys just admit that you hate his swagger, his tattoos, his attitude and move on. Because your basketball arguments stink.

Quote:

They had issues way before then Las. And what about Penny Hardaway? The best center in history just doesn't get shipped to teams Willy Nilly you know.

He made it to the finals with him, and then decided to go to LA so he could do his movies and music, and be a part of lakers' legend. He hasn't been shipped Willy Nilly. He left on his own terms to LA to get the biggest contract in NBA history at the time. And LA shipped him when he demanded for a trade. He has only changed teams when HE wanted to. No team would ever ship him for any other reason. And he would never, EVER miss the playoffs.