• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So, who is on Billy's list of Six Players?

KB21

Thanks to Lascar's report from the meeting with Billy and Bernie, we now know that Billy has a list of the six players he believes are the top six players in this draft, and we know that our draft pick will come out of that pool of six players. We also know the type of player or the characteristics Billy looks for in a player -- athletic and versatile. Plus, Billy has made it a point to state the team needs a big man the most. With all this, who is on that list of six?

This is my guess, in no order at this time:

LaMarcus Aldridge, 6'10" PF/C, Texas -- He fills the need for having a big man, and he also fits the characteristic profile for Billy. LaMarcus has a lot of potential and will contribute as a rookie, but he is a guy that is probably 2-3 years away from really being the player he is capable of becoming. He's a good shot blocker and a good offensive player. He has solid moves in the post and can face up and hit the jumper out to 15 feet consistently. Obviously, his strength is something that will have to improve. LaMarcus might be the top player on the list for what the Hawks are looking for.

Tyrus Thomas, 6'9" PF, LSU -- According to Lascar's report, Billy mention the fact that some guys play bigger than their size. I think this could describe Tyrus Thomas. Billy also mentioned shot blocking ability, and Tyrus is clearly one of the top 2, if not the top shot blocker in this draft. He's athletic as all get out, tremendous wingspan, and tremendous vertical. The reports form his workouts say that he has impressed with his skill level. Obviously, he's a guy that will have to work on his strength once in the league, and he's going to have to polish his raw offensive skills. I think he's further away than LaMarcus, but he probably has more potential.

Shelden Williams, 6'9" PF/C, Duke -- Much like Tyrus Thomas, Shelden Williams is a player that plays bigger than his size, probably moreso. Lascar stated that it is pretty obvious that Shelden is a player they like a lot, but it remains to be seen where he fits on this list. I feel he is in the top six, because I have a feeling the coaching staff is really pushing to get him. He will make an immediate impact in the league as a defender and rebounder. There may not be a more polarizing player in the draft relative to how good some think he will be. Some see a guy that may not be anything more than Antonio Davis, and some see a guy that is very similar to Emeka Okafor.

Rudy Gay, 6'9" SF, Connecticut -- Some will croak at the thought that Gay is on the list, but I guarantee you that he's a guy that Billy will consider as the best player available. There aren't many players that are more athletic than Rudy Gay, and he brings the type of versatility to the table that Billy likes.

Brandon Roy, 6'5" PG/SG, Washington -- Brandon is another athletic and versatile guy that, even though there are no reports of him scheduling a workout with the Hawks, I have to believe he will be under consideration. He's another guy that would be the possible best player available that Billy would take despite the need for a big guy.

Patrick O'Bryant, 7'0" C, Bradley -- This last one was a tough to make a choice on, but if I had to guess, I would guess Patrick O'Bryant. Potential is the key word with him. He's a major project that has the potential to be great, yet has the potential to be a major bust. There's not a lot to really get a good gauge on his skills from his body of work, but he is 7'0" tall with a giagantic wingspan and is very athletic. He represents functional size that is mobile and athletic with a better than average skill level for a big man. He's moving up in the draft, so he could be in that six.

I think Randy Foye is a guy that might just be on that border of being in the top six.

Good list of the tio 6 KB. Anyone of them could be picked,surprisingly Bargnani didn't make the list. Its going to be pretty much whose available when it comes to the Hakws pick.What I mean by that is if someone slides unexpectedly then the hawks would be in position to grab a player that falls. I don't expect Aldridge to fall but any of the others could slide to 5.

We all know that a big is what we want however if Roy is head and shoulders above the bigs available it wouldn't surprise me if he were chosen. He's a money player and could be the best all around player in the draft.If Sheldon williams shows well in the tryouts he could be the pick. Alot of us are hesitant about drafting another duke player and someone who didn't do well against bigger men but when you have as many honors as him and play well in tryouts just maybe he could be the one who does well in the NBA.

Quote:

Good list of the tio 6 KB. Anyone of them could be picked,surprisingly Bargnani didn't make the list. Its going to be pretty much whose available when it comes to the Hakws pick.What I mean by that is if someone slides unexpectedly then the hawks would be in position to grab a player that falls. I don't expect Aldridge to fall but any of the others could slide to 5.

We all know that a big is what we want however if Roy is head and shoulders above the bigs available it wouldn't surprise me if he were chosen. He's a money player and could be the best all around player in the draft.If Sheldon williams shows well in the tryouts he could be the pick. Alot of us are hesitant about drafting another duke player and someone who didn't do well against bigger men but when you have as many honors as him and play well in tryouts just maybe he could be the one who does well in the NBA.

i'd say Bargnani not being on the list wasn't a suprise. he's soft down low and will provide 0 interior presence. he just doesn't fit a need, not matter if he's 7 or 10 feet tall.

• Premium Member

1. Bargnani

2. Aldridge

3. Shelden

4. Rudy Gay

5. Cedric Simmons

6. Tyrus Thomas.

i would be shocked if BK has any PGs on his list. I would also be shocked if he didn't have Rudy Gay on his list.

You're right, putting Obryant on or off the list is hard. Howeve,r I have to believe that OBryant isn't higher on the list than any of these guys.

Me Myself personally, I wouldn't even consider Bargnani, Thomas, or Gay.

But the reports are the BK went to see Barnani a few times.. so did Danny Ainge. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ainge attempt to move up to take him.

Ty Thomas seems like bad news to me but I get the feeling that if he falls toward us, BK may be tempted to take him.

I also get a feeling that BK really likes Rudy Gay and probably sees him as a BPA.. So there again, it's scary to consider that we may come out of this draft with Gay.

I doubt Gay will be there, because I think Charlotte is hot for him. He's also the guy teams want to trade up for.

I didn't put Bargnani on the list because I'm not too sure about how athletic he is from his videos. It's possible that he's there though. Billy did take Pau Gasol, but I'm not so sure I see Gasol type athleticism with Bargnani.

I agree about Simmons. All that talk of him being another Ratliff makes him fit the bill as a defensive big. He likely has more upside that Sheldon, but the downside is that he's a couple years away. He's young enough that he could still be growing. As I said before, I saw him play Ga Tech and his presence on the court was impressive. At that time I didn't know who he was, but he caught my attention.

• Premium Member

He's a couple of years away and a couple of pounds away. I don't think he plays a physical game.. Just like Theo.

I think that's something that Bk was hinting at as reported by Lascar... A big player that doesn't play big is not as good as a Player that plays big.

• Moderators

Knowing that BK's has six (and only six) and that it excludes a player you would expect to be there I will speculate:

* Aldridge

* Bargnani

* Gay

* Morrison

* Thomas

* S. Williams

I am guessing that O'Bryant hasn't shown enough to make the list and that Roy's revelation that he won't be working out for the Hawks indicates that he isn't on the list. BK's comment that he would still take the best overall player is the reason that Gay and Morrison make the list.

Morrison does not have any of the qualities BK looks for in a player though. He doesn't bring athleticism nor versatility to the table. He may be a good fit for some team, but I don't think he fits the Hawks.

Quote:

I am guessing that O'Bryant hasn't shown enough to make the list and that
Roy's revelation that he won't be working out for the Hawks
indicates that he isn't on the list. BK's comment that he would still take the best overall player is the reason that Gay and Morrison make the list.

I guess I missed this. Has he actually refused to work out for Atlanta? I thought he just didn't have anything scheduled here yet. confused.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I am guessing that O'Bryant hasn't shown enough to make the list and that
Roy's revelation that he won't be working out for the Hawks
indicates that he isn't on the list. BK's comment that he would still take the best overall player is the reason that Gay and Morrison make the list.

I guess I missed this. Has he actually refused to work out for Atlanta? I thought he just didn't have anything scheduled here yet. confused.gif

In an interview with Draft Express he said he wasn't working out for Atlanta.

Apparently, Rondo and Marcus Williams are scheduled to work out on June 19.

• Moderators

Quote:

Morrison does not have any of the qualities BK looks for in a player though. He doesn't bring athleticism nor versatility to the table. He may be a good fit for some team, but I don't think he fits the Hawks.

I don't think either Morrison or Gay are a good fit for the Hawks but I would put him on BK's short list because of his overall game. I could easily be wrong, though. I could easily see Morrison, Roy, Gay or Thomas not making the short list.

roy not working out but marcus/rondo are tells me either

a) roy has a guarantee from 1-4

or

b) hawks are gonna go with 'true pg' like rondo/marcus over the combo guard if they go pg

or

c) hawks will only get pg (rondo/marcus) if they trade down and if they trade down roy won't be there anymore and they don't want roy at 5 (the talked about player not on his 6-list)

so either rondo and/or marcus is on the list of 6, or they are coming in for the case that we move down a few spots

also, why are there 6 on the list when we pick 5th? we only need a top 5