• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why the infatuation with Shelden???

DavidSomerset

I respect the guy as a college player, but I don't think he'll be nearly as good in the pros as someone like Lamarcus Aldridge.

I've even seen some people on here say that we should take Shelden over LA... confused.gif.

Great college player...I'm not convinced he's worthy of a top 5 or even top 10 pick.

Quote:

I respect the guy as a college player, but I don't think he'll be nearly as good in the pros as someone like Lamarcus Aldridge.

I've even seen some people on here say that we should take Shelden over LA...
confused.gif

Great college player...I'm not convinced he's worthy of a top 5 or even top 10 pick.

ok i don't agree or disagree with you.

now sell me on Lamarcus Aldridge.

why should we pick him over Shelden Williams? please use specific examples beyond his standing reach.

Aldridge pretty much does everything well. He is tall and his frame looks like it will fill out. He has a good to great post game, a good jumper and a nice baby hook. He is a good defensive player, has great shotblocking instincts. I don't see what's not to love other than he didn't try to take games over.

Quote:

I think just about anyone will agree that LA has more superstar potential in the NBA.

He's a better athlete and plays with much more "smoothness" than Shelden, particularly on the offensive end.

he's a better athlete? what makes you say that?

he has "smoothness?" let's debate sports here, not hypotheticals like social security reform.

Why should we, outside of standing reach, draft Lamarcus Aldridge over Sheldon Williams?

please use examples of past performances along with how each would fit in with our current team.

Guest Walter

Quote:

now sell me on Lamarcus Aldridge.

why should we pick him over Shelden Williams? please use specific examples beyond his standing reach.

...be an offensive centerpiece in the post, has more upside (if only because SW did not improve at Duke), has more trade value (as in isn't a severely under-height "center"), and back to the height, standing reach issue.

W

Quote:

he's a better athlete? what makes you say that?

he has "smoothness?" let's debate sports here, not hypotheticals like social security reform.

Why should we, outside of standing reach, draft Lamarcus Aldridge over Sheldon Williams?

please use examples of past performances along with how each would fit in with our current team.

Well if "smooth" doesn't work for you, how about "refined offensive game". LA has better offensive potential in the NBA than Shelden. He's got a beautiful mid-range jumper, a solid post-up game, and he moves up and down the floor VERY well (that's where the athleticism comes in).

On the defensive end, Shelden might have been the better college defensive player, but I think once LA puts on about 15 lbs., he will be one of the better defensive PF's in the league within a few years.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Aldridge pretty much does everything well. He is tall and his frame looks like it will fill out. He has a good to great post game, a good jumper and a nice baby hook. He is a good defensive player, has great shotblocking instincts. I don't see what's not to love other than he didn't try to take games over.

I agree. I think the main difference is Aldridge CAN be a go to player on both ends of the court, SW only on the defensive end. I value a potential dual threat in the post because we don't have one and Al is likely leaving leaving our post offense even worse off.

I also don't believe in drafting exceptions like 6'7 3/4" centers with top 5 picks. Just f-ing crazy.

W

Quote:

Please tell me this....why compare Shelden to a player that won't be available at #5? That's like saying when we drafted Jason Terry that we should have taken Andre Miller.

Aldridge might be available at #5, easily. The mock posted a few minutes ago have him going #6.

I don't know if anyone can find the measurements on AD or Skinner but these are the "high" and "low" NBA comparisons I have seen about Shelden. AD was actually an inpact player with the Pacers who put up decent numbers. He was that intangible piece needed for any winning team. We could really use an AD type player on this team. If Shelden Williams plays like AD than I don't feel so bad drafting him at #5 even if that is alittle too high for him. However, while Skinner is a solid role player in the NBA and will have a long NBA career, he is certainly not worth the #5 pick overall. I don't think anyone here believes Shelden Williams will be a NBA bust but the real question is whether he will be an impact player or just a solid role player. I think there is more risk involved with Shelden than many here might admit despite his great college accomplishments.

I totally agree if BK REACHES and picks Shelden at 5.....I am rooting as hard as I can for Belkin to get sole ownership of this team and clean house.

Management is clueless is they pick him at 5. Now if they trade down then I am okay with Williams, but not at 5, especially is LA is still there.

• Premium Member

Can you say that about any of the other big men under consideration?

Maybe just Simmons is the other guy who isn't soft. But in times like these, there's no need in us going out and getting the next Steven Hunter or Tony Battie in search of a good big man.

Shelden is proven and there's nothing to suggest that he won't pick it up on the next level. His stat against other likely first rounders is 22.6 ppg, 10.4 rpg, and 3.6 bpg.

• Premium Member

Quote:

don't see what's not to love other than he didn't try to take games over.

Some games he had to take over..

But, everyplayer we pickup expected to be a first option??

We have specific needs.. Scoring really ain't one. What we need is somebody that can help stop other teams from scoring so easily.

Guest Walter

so if we can pick a player capable of both offense and defense (Aldridge) over a player capable of one we shouldn't hesitate.

However, I would hesitate over either if Bargnani or Roy are available.

W

• Premium Member

I'm not going to be so quick to say that Aldridge scores with ease in the post and Shelden doesn't.

Remember...

Shelden 18.8 ppg

Aldridge 15.0 ppg.

This while Aldridge didn't have to play with one of the best scorers in NCAA history on his team.

There were many incidents in UT Season where Aldridge would come up with 5 points, 9 points.. and you think he didn't play and the guy was on the court for 36 minutes...

Take a Look

So I'm not so quick to call Aldridge a scoring Jaguarnaut... By that same token, I'm not so quick to say that Shelden can't score. Against the 1st round competition in this draft, he's averaging 22 ppg. In the world university games, he averaged 14.7 ppg while shooting 66%.

Plus it was said that he gave a very good shooting display from midrange/3 pt range in the houston workout.. but people most admire his game because he does what he's supposed to do. NO Kevin Willis 3 pters.

Diesel...can you tell me...are you advocating the selection of Shelden over all players? I mean if he's at five and it's our selection time, you want Shelden hands down? Not only can I not say that, but I think Shelden shouldn't be drafted before 8. If that's the case, we trade down and select him.