• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This guy says we WONT trade Marvin for AI

Admin

• Premium Member

I think it's foolish for us to believe that we can get Ai for less than a future allstar. That's just foolishness.

I have said this before, if we were approach with Marvin/Lue for AI, then we should do the deal. Mainly because I see the benefits of having AI from both a Visibility point of view and a basketball POV... I think that Ai could definitely be the answer for us.

We may or may not be able to get AI for less than a future all-star, but if we have to give up a future all-start to get him then I don't want him.

I'd give up Al + Chill at the MOST. It's not worth giving up potentially 10 years or more of great basketball from Marvin or Smoove to have an aging AI for 3 years.

• Premium Member

I would say that if it's Marvin without the pick.. then I would do the deal. The fact of the matter is that Marvin plays a redundant position for us. There's nothing that we can expect from Marvin that we can't get from Smoove. In fact, we can probably get more from Smoove seeing that he's a shot blocker. Now if Marvin can get us a superstar... Then I trade him. AI is a superstar. That's the bottom line. Yes, his contract is huge. Yes, he's used to being the 1st option. BUT.. He's a superstar.

Marvin has yet to show us if he could ever be even an allstar and truly all we have to go on is a bunch of college games where he played well against weak teams second teams...

lol @ against weak teams' second teams

yeah, cause he was never in the game in the fourth quarter with close score...

and of course u WOULD trade marvin to lease an aging AI for a few years; where will we be when those years are over and he's gone? we want to CONTEND, not just make the playoffs

Quote:

I think it's foolish for us to believe that we can get Ai for less than a future allstar. ... I have said this before, if we were approach with Marvin/Lue for AI, then we should do the deal.

LMAO

Did Diesel just call Marvin a future allstar? My God, next thing will be snow in Atlanta or peace in the middle east.

• Premium Member

The beauty of signing AI is that it promotes our team.

In 3 yrs when Ai's contract is up, let him walk or SNT him or reup him at a much lower deal... BUT the exposure and winning is key.

All of you who talk about cap flexibility and getting free agents miss the point. Hardly any free agents wants to go to a team where they will never be seen again. Not unless they are getting a lot of money. Having Ai here for as long as he will be here will give our young guys a chance to grow. It will give our vet a chance to build himself into a superstar as well. When AI leaves and we have a ton of capspace again, who wouldn't want to play for the still young Hawks team that has very good players.

The hype/visibility that AI brings is just as important as his talent.

however, we can continue down this road of Clipperness. Then when JSmoove's contract comes up, he's going to want to leave because he doesn't like losing and playing out of position. Then JChillz will either say trade me or watch me walk because I'm better than just some 6th man.

And all of your heros will leave because there is nothing to stay for. Good teams stay together because of winning.

I promise not to repeat this because I don't want more enemies than I need. But if people can't see that 6'6" long neck (that's what gets him the extra 2/3 inches) bobble-headed Marvin hasn't got the drive to be a star and won't be a star - then I can't convince them.

He has "take it easy" written all over him.

No hate here, but prove your case. Given Marvin's age, what exactly are you expecting? Who's to say Marvin isn't busting it this summer, trying to get stronger, especially? SOOO easy to just throw personality grenades and walk away. I can certainly fathom the "redundant piece" argument (boy, is that getting boring, too), but to say that Marvin is too laid back is based on what exactly?

I gotta add this--if Marvin (and a spec draft pick) is the price for AI, doesn't that demonstrate the value of MW? And given the salary structure, keeping MW is a no-brainer. Getting rid of redundant 3/4 players is really the argument here, not so much about AI really. And that debate has plenty o' threads.

• Premium Member

I think it's more than redundancy rid... but if you look at AI, he fits everything we need for the franchise. Good offensive player, good defensive player, good fan draw... He would give this team identity.

Still I would not trade Marvin and #5.

More like Marvin and Lue.