• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Landlord and his possible numbers...........

MoonKnight

I have waffled back and forth about how Williams might fit in here but consider these numbers...78gms 35.0min 10.1rbs 1.9bks 13.7pts. These were Antonio Davis' numbers during his first full season with the Raptors. If Davis is projected to Williams' potential ceiling how would those numbers sound here? It took Davis several years to obtain those numbers but Williams is more advanced a player at his age than Davis was at the same age. Of course Williams' floor may be more like Brian Skinner who has much lower numbers. Those numbers coupled with Williams likely strong Defensive play does not sound so bad. Maybe even worth the 5th pick overall. Thoughts?

That could very well be Shelden's rookie numbers.

NBADraft.net compares him to Antonio Davis. Personaly, I think that may be the floor of what he will be. DraftExpress says his best case scenario is Emeka Okafor while the worst case scenario is Brian Grant. Either way, you can see that there really isn't a lot of downside to Shelden Williams. There may not be a huge upside that some of the other players have, but he also doesn't have the huge downside that those players have either.

As a pro I think Shelden won't get a lot of blocks but will score much better than people think. He won't be getting double and triple teamed in the pros and he will be able to shoot his jumper more often, which is better than people realize.

I think for his first year 13/9/1.5 is realistic.

A. Davis was drafted in 2nd round of the 1990 draft. Here is the top 10 first round picks from that year:

Pick Team Player College

1. New Jersey Nets Derrick Coleman Syracuse University

2. Seattle Supersonics Gary Payton Oregon State University

3. Denver Nuggets Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf Louisiana State University

4. Orlando Magic Dennis Scott Georgia Institute of Technology

5. Charlotte Hornets Kendall Gill University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

6. Minnesota Timberwolves Felton Spencer University of Louisville

7. Sacramento Kings Lionel Simmons LaSalle University

8. Los Angeles Clippers Bo Kimble Loyola Marymount University

9. Miami Heat Willie Burton University of Minnesota

10. Atlanta Hawks Rumeal Robinson University of Michigan

While this was turned out to be a terrible draft class, A. Davis would now be considered an easy top 10 pick and likely top 4 pick. I suspect this draft class will be much better than 1990s but Davis-like production and numbers are still quite valuable when put in perspective.

Quote:

I think for his first year 13/9/1.5 is realistic.

Those numbers are about what I'm hoping for. I think the numbers truly depend on what we do with Harrington. If we do resign Harrington then S.Williams receives less minutes and, therefore, achieves lower numbers (10/7/.8). Still...

Stoudamire | Lue | Childress

Johnson | Childress

Smith | M.Williams | Childress

Harrington | M.Williams | S.Williams

Pachulia | S.Williams

Johnson, Harrington, Smith, Childress and M.Williams get the most playing time with Pachulia, Lue, S.Williams and Stoudamire following up (all minutes distributed about in that order).

9p 7r

He will have trouble scoring and will get his points on garbage. Its a mistake taking Williams. Everybody now knows he is coming so optimism reigns...its a bad pick made worse by taking him so high. I would rather have Roy...or even Foye. This is another 6'8 Billy Knight special.

Why is nobody else interested in the top 5? Bk thinks he knows more than everybody else...he doesn't know jack.

I have to admit that I thought of wavering and supporting the Williams pick, but I still say Aldridge would be the better pick if there. Since it looks as if Williams will be a Hawk, what can you do but find things to be positive about. I say AL has to be gone if Williams is the pick. If we get a good veteran PG, I'd support this more, but I'd rather support it at say....#8 than at #5.

I think the main reason people are sounding more and more optimistic about the Landlord being a Hawk is that he is a safe pick who fills a need. No he is not going to play Center much in the NBA but he is undoubtedly a big, strong dude who can atleast provide us with much needed defense in the paint. That is enough for me to justify taking him with our pick...even if he's taken at #5. Now I do hope that if we can trade down and still get him, that BK knows this and does it. Obviously it would be a mistake to ignore that possibility altogether. But spare me another draft where we don't address a need. Screw the go for the gold philosophy. There is no gold in this draft; therefore, it's the perfect time to draft according to need.

I'd take Aldridge over Sheldon and I think BK will too. I would also take Marcus Williams and Brandon Roy over Sheldon. I like Craig Smith in round 2 as a poor man's Sheldon. Shorter and not as good a shot blocker but other than that, very similar. Give me Roy/Aldridge/Williams and Craig and I am happy with the draft.

If we need Shelden so bad then just where does he play? Who does he put on the bench...Marvin? So, we take our supposed great future player in Marvin and make sure he plays behind this new guy who is pretty much tapped out in potential?

Either Shelden plays center or we don't NEED him.

We took a player at #6 two years ago (another BK Special) that is now coming off the bench for a team that has won 39 games in two years. If Shelden starts at PF then Marvin was a wasted pick at #2...period. You don't draft a guy at #2 and then watch him come off the bench. Or, if Marvin has improved it will be Shelden coming off the bench. You don't take a top 5 player and hope he comes off your bench if your the Hawks. For all the smart guys that want Shelden you need to think a little more.

We need a 5 (POST/CENTER) and we need a 1 (PG). Shelden is a 4...get it? Billy Knight doesn't and when Belkin takes over on July 13 he has made his last lousy, 6'8, forward drafting move. He sucks and the Hawks will suck as long as he remains with his lousy drafting and lousy head coach.

The Landlord will get his ass evicted in the NBA.

If Diaw can play some center for the Suns, I don't see why Shelden can't also play some for the running, gunning, defending Hawks.

I agree with you that Marvin needs to play.

It appears I joined here about as recently as you, and I don't presume to know as much as you believe you do (based on this post), but I sure have a more positive attitude and evaluation of BK than you.

That's because I lived as a fan through all the Babcock years, and BK is way better than Babcock.

But I guess time will tell whether BK sucks as bad you believe - I on the other hand am an optimist and see a real talented core developing here.

About the coach - I have doubts there but feel this year if BK gives him the pieces to be properly evaluated then we can get a better read on whether its time for him to go.

If Belkin gets the team he could do worse, he could do better.

I am interested to find out how it turns out.

mj

Quote:

I could optimistically see Shelden averaging 12 ppg, 10 rpg, and 2.5 bpg his rookie year for us. If he could do that he would really improve our team.

No he wont improve our team we must be trading one of the young guys or AL if we are picking yet anothr undersized post player.

Yeah. Craig Smith is shorter, not as good of a shot blocker, not as good of a defender, and isn't quite as athletic, but yeah. I can see how they are similar.

That's about like how this woman I was with the other day was very similar to Pamela Anderson, only she had smaller breasts, black hair, and wasn't quite as good looking.