• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smoove for Charlie V?

Bulldog

The realgm mock draft suggests that after Toronto draft Bargnani, Toronto will try to trade Charlie Villanueva. The suggestion is to Atlanta for Josh Smith.

Charlie V has great potential and had a very good year last year. Would you be happy with this trade?

I would consider it. Charlie V is a natural PF and does have a few post moves unlike JSmoove. Charlie is a better shooter than JSmoove but is known to have poor defence. The Hawks would have to draft Aldridge or Shelden if this trade went down. If JSmoove left it could have an impact on the already poor attendance for the Hawks but if it makes the team better the crowds will come.

Smoove has the type of game where he can be a game changer at both ends, unlike Charlie V. He is capable (and has already shown it) to be able to be able to fill up a stat sheet all the way across.

Honestly, I dont even think I would trade Smoove for Bosh, let alone Charlie V.

• Premium Member

If you see Marvin as a star and our SF of the future, then moving Smoove for a real Pf is probably a move that we would consider.

I look at it like this.

If we get screwed trying to trade down.. i.e. we get Roy and the Celts take Shelden, then moving Josh Smith for Charlie V. becomes a very BK like move.

Especially since Charlie V. is so versatile. I mean 6'10 and can handle the ball as well as bang down low. But that's only if you see Marvin as the future.

I don't see Toronto's motivation.. I think Bargnani is more Sf than PF.

That's where I see him. He has said that he sees himself as a PF and he has the game of a PF. He isnt a bruiser, but we dont need a bruiser. We need a relentless player with the game to be able to create mistmatches at that position and that is exactly what Marvin brings to the table.

Smoove will be our ultra versatile SF, who has the ability to slide to the 4 or 5 if needed.

Why? Because of what Bosh has done? Smoove has shown flashes of greatness and has 3 position versatility, unlike Bosh. After seeing Smoove have some of those breakout games last year there is no way I would trade him for Bosh now. I can see Smoove easily becoming an equal player to Bosh, sooner rather than later.

• Premium Member

I think as time goes on, we will need a bruiser. The league is going back to the old days where Pf and Power Centers ruled.

I know that a lot of people have bought into the idea of run and gun because of the freedom of the PG... however, soon, the big men will reign again. Just like Shaq and Wade beat Dallas... Teams that have the hybrid of a Dominating Big and a fast guard will run basketball.. Like The Bad Boys.

Remember, the only thing that stopped the Bad Boys from winning was age. MJ had to wait until the pistons got old before they could take over.

That tells me that a team like that could still win.

Maybe not as physical because Stern wouldn't allow that, but one that worked on the principles of power bigs and controlling the offense using good defense and controlling the offense with Guard play.

This is the formula that always works.

Playing Marvin at Pf is not advised unless somehow Zaza becomes a monster defender.

Otherwise, the invite is still out there for Guards to drive our lane and for Power players to unleash their beast on our frontcourt.

for the league to go back to a league of power centers, it requires power centers.

not only diesel is that untrue, it's opposite. we're going the way OPPOSITE of power centesr and have been for awhile now..there is a dearth of those centers.

Well what he has done is a part of it. 22/9 in the NBA is no joke, already an all-star. His stats as a rookie were about on par (slightly better except blocks) as Josh Smith's this past year. Add to that the fact that he is a true big man (real PF / undersized C), and that makes him more valuable.

Smith might someday be as good as him. I doubt he'll be significantly better. Smith might be a PF, maybe not, we don't know yet. I guess to me, it seems like the very worst case scenario is that the trade would be fair, but it's overwhelmingly likely that Bosh is more valuable.

That's how I see it at least. Smith is obviously more fun to watch though. There's no telling how good he'll be, but Bosh is already a good bit ahead along that path.

I will say that Bosh plays a more valuable position and that he is more consistent than Smoove. I will also say that at the same age (Smooves 2nd year to Bosh's 1st year) they put up VERY similar stats. This year will be the telling factor. I think that once Al is gone and Smoove becomes our #2 guy behind JJ we will see him become a much more productive and consistent player ... and he is a lot more fun to watch.

The thing to me is that we cant trade them straight up for one another because Bosh has a lot more value ... but to me that doesnt matter because I believe in 2-3 years they will be equal players. I would rather have Smoove though because of his versatility.

While Shelden Williams is no Shaq, he is certainly a bruiser and an enforcer. We can play him at the 5 when Marvin is in the game and at the 4 when Marvin is out or at the 3.

However, I certainly think you are wrong about the bruising centers being the future of the league. Its especially wrong when you are using the ONLY bruising quality center in the league who is 100 years old as your example.

• Premium Member

Power forwards and Power Centers are entering into the league in groves..

I've listed them before...

But Just of our young guys you have:

Howard, Jefferson, Stoudamire, Bogut, Swift, Petro, Bynum, Okafor, May, Biedrins, Harrison, Ramos, Frye, Sowe that are already in the league.

You have:

Shelden, Aldridge, Simmons, Armstrong, Boone, O'Bryant, Oden, Noah, Hawes, Spitter, Horford, Smith, Gray, and Tomic on the way.

That's not to mention guys already in the league like:

Kaman, Brand, Boozer, Nene, Chandler, Bosh, Randolph, Dalembert, Magloire, and so on...

The league will be swarming with "REAL" Bigs who can play the power game. If you don't have one, how do you believe you will compete with teams that do?

I like what Charlie V accomplished last year, but I personally like Smooth way too much to form an unbiased opinion on this trade. Really, it might be a reasonable consideration, but I could not pull the trigger ...

As such, I understand why you wouldn't want to trade Josh for Bosh, but come one, that one's easy ...

And Diesel, give the damn '7'0-ters coming out of the woodwork to retake the NBA' thing a break. Its so ridiculous. Greg Oden is a hot commodity b/c a dearth of true Cs exists. O'Bryant, a 7'0-ter whose production in the MVC wasn't exactly stellar, is a top-ten pick for the same reason. Ditto the Sene hype. The NBA, with exceptions, will continue to move away from the traditional C mold simply b/c there aren't enough of them to go around.

And the PF argument is like saying that umbrellas won't go out of fashion in sunny England. The league is rife with PFs, and will continue to be. Most of the players you listed were PFs, some capable of hybrid-type play, a la Stoudamire/Bosh. But even hybrids who become successful are relatively rare. Of course PFs are coming into the league, PFs are always coming into the league.