• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ok...my flame suit is on...

DavidSomerset

What do yall think about letting Childress get some minutes at PG?

I know I know, "he is a SF" and I agree, but the guy plays solid defense, and he handles the ball relatively well. I feel like if he came in knowing that his job was to distribute the ball, he could do it pretty well.

It would also give us a chance to get our 5 best players out on the court at one time.

By midseason we could see:

Chill

JJ

Marvin

Smoove

Shelden

As our starting 5.

I know this idea is way out of left field and I will prob get flamed big time for it, but I figured why not throw it out there cool.gif

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Chill basically take over at point/distributor at Stanford? It's not a crazy idea, but the problem would be that again, the smaller guard combos might put a strain our defense. It's not a crazy idea, but one in which I don't see happening for long periods of time.

• Moderators

Quote:

Offensively it's not a bad idea, but I agree that it leaves us with defensive problems against the quicker guards in the league.

With that lineup we would probably have to play a zone defense and try to limit penetration that way.

I just really like the idea because I feel like with all the moves going on right now Chill is the odd man out. The team is shaping up in a way that he is probably not going to see too much time on the court, and that's a shame because he still has a lot of talent.

If we could work out some zone defense, and have every player on the floor be 6'8-6'9, I could see some great things on offense for us, the defense would be the weak point though against quicker guards.

Great points. To that end, I see what BK's vision is. I love the matchup problems, but inevitably we create our own problems on the other end. For as much advantage as we would have offensively, we'd be eaten alive on the defensive end. Shelden may help (although I'm not a big fan), but again in limited minutes, we'd create nightmares for most teams with the size advantage and skill set that we have.

Quote:

Don't take your flame suit off yet. They're just trying to butter you up to take if off and then they'll burn you.

Good one...but I do remember times last year when Salim was playing and Joe or Lue weren't, that Chillz and Harrington would bring the ball up the floor and try to start the offense.

I don't understand why Childress and Joe Johnson can't be our backcourt either. I think JJ would be a better distributor so he could play the PG. People act like he turns the ball over but he had better assists to turnover ratio than PGs on championship caliber teams.

Too many people are looking at team turnovers acting like it's Joe Johnson's fault. It's not his fault when Zaza can't catch an entry pass or when Josh Smith dribbles the ball off his foot.

I really don't see why we don't go

JJ

JChill

Marvin

JSmoove

Landlord

There is nothing wrong with that lineup. We have size advantage in the backcourt and athleticism advantage in the frontcourt. Smoove could help Shelden protect the basket on D.

• Moderators

I think a Chills/JJ backcourt is fine for a few minutes every game but probably lacks the ballhandling and playmaking abilities on O and the quickness on D to be able to run that full-time.

The problem with that line-up is that there is no one to push the ball up the court and get the team into the "running game" that the coach and front office have been talking about. Plus, that line-up would get killed if the other team pressed full court.

It can work for short stretches but at the end of the day would result in Childress playing out of position.

Quote:

I don't understand why Childress and Joe Johnson can't be our backcourt either. I think JJ would be a better distributor so he could play the PG. People act like he turns the ball over but he had better assists to turnover ratio than PGs on championship caliber teams.

Too many people are looking at team turnovers acting like it's Joe Johnson's fault. It's not his fault when Zaza can't catch an entry pass or when Josh Smith dribbles the ball off his foot.

I really don't see why we don't go

JJ

JChill

Marvin

JSmoove

Landlord

There is nothing wrong with that lineup. We have size advantage in the backcourt and athleticism advantage in the frontcourt. Smoove could help Shelden protect the basket on D.

Because Childress can't defend PG's or SG's.

Most everyone on this site probably likes to think about how many mpg game we can get that lineup on the court. First off, in the lineup JJ really has to be considered the point. And we'd definitely have to play zone, in which case Shelden probably would be very effective at boxing out for the defensive boards.

But still, our most common backcourt will definitely be Speedy and JJ. Chillz started the year cold last year and seemed to be more effective off the bench, however, he might be the best SF to start with that lineup since he is very good at playing off a penetrating guard. I dont think there is much chance of that happening though but I still think Chillz will get plenty of minutes, they dont want to wear JJ out this year like they did last.

Speedy

JJ

Marvin

JSmoove

ZaZa

At around the 6 min mark, Chillz and Shelden come in for Speedy and ZaZa. We play zone with that lineup for around 4 mins then go thru deeper rotations, even getting JJ a few minutes rest.

Of course a SNT with Al will probably get us back and center and probably eliminate the chance of seeing Shelden at center. I still want Magloire and a 1st myself.

Quote:

Most everyone on this site probably likes to think about how many mpg game we can get that lineup on the court. First off, in the lineup JJ really has to be considered the point. And we'd definitely have to play zone, in which case Shelden probably would be very effective at boxing out for the defensive boards.

But still, our most common backcourt will definitely be Speedy and JJ. Chillz started the year cold last year and seemed to be more effective off the bench, however, he might be the best SF to start with that lineup since he is very good at playing off a penetrating guard. I dont think there is much chance of that happening though but I still think Chillz will get plenty of minutes, they dont want to wear JJ out this year like they did last.

Speedy

JJ

Marvin

JSmoove

ZaZa

At around the 6 min mark, Chillz and Shelden come in for Speedy and ZaZa. We play zone with that lineup for around 4 mins then go thru deeper rotations, even getting JJ a few minutes rest.

Of course a SNT with Al will probably get us back and center and probably eliminate the chance of seeing Shelden at center. I still want Magloire and a 1st myself.

JJ turns the ball over alot and needs it to be taken out of his hands some. The problem is the hawks don't have anywhere near even time to play all these guys the 30MPG they will want to play.

I think that they'll start SW over MW more often than not, especially if (and in certain ways it is an IF) Smoove continues to 'earn' his starter's role.

Why?

With Smoove, JJ, and Zaza on the floor, you have three offensive players (in very different ways)...a team needs balance as well. SW fits great with that lineup (or really, any lineup featuring Zaza at center and at least two other 'legitiment' scoring options on the floor)

to boot...he's more seasoned than MW is, by age and by general pt/ bbiq.