Woah, neato.

skankin_richard

Marvin is Currently leading the RMR in PPG at 26 per game (which is 5 more than the 2nd leading scorer...Salim grin.gif)

He's also tied for 2nd in RPG at 7 a game, Tied for 4th for assists with 4 a game, and is shooting 87% from the line.

I know its only summer league, but he's clearly the best player at the RMR right now...

Quote:

Marvin is Currently leading the RMR in PPG at 26 per game (which is 5 more than the 2nd leading scorer...Salim
grin.gif
)

He's also tied for 2nd in RPG at 7 a game, Tied for 4th for assists with 4 a game, and is shooting 87% from the line.

I know its only summer league, but he's clearly the best player at the RMR right now...

I love it. Last year people got on him for not doing much, but I like the numbers so far. Keep it up, kid!

Queue the haters in 3...2....1....

Outside of Diesel and a precious few others most peolple knew Marvin wasn't ready last year for big things. However, if you watched the games you could see his talent. He has as pure a stroke for a big guy as you will ever see. He is also very athletic which is a necessity in the league. So, dismissing a 19 year old with that much talent is stupid. Real stupid.

Shelden Williams is the polar opposite of Marvin. He is an old rookie at 23. He has 4 years of college under his belt. He does not possess good scoring tools, ie, low post or good face up moves. He overpowered lesser players in the ACC. That won't happen in the NBA. He also lacks the athleticism and explosiveness to really do well in the NBA. I see him as a role player off the bench who can help the team by taking charges and learning how to use his body for rebounding and scoring. He is, in many ways, a bigger project than Marvin because without the athleticism he has to figure out how to get by in the league...that won't happen overnight. I talked with one of the ATL Spirit before the draft. I begged him not to do it. He said his people were so high on Shelden, that he trusted their judgement. They were wrong. This guy may carve out a fair career as he learns the ropes...but he won't be a huge help this year. The thought of him starting at PF is absurd. I see him in a lot of foul trouble and he could give us 18-23 minutes a night. Folks, that is the guy we drafted at #5.

Marvin will go for 15 and 8 this year. His quantum leap will be in year 3...he will be a 20 and 10 guy. This kid will pan out big. Shelden is just too limited. A good GM would have seen it.

Quote:

Outside of Diesel and a precious few others most peolple knew Marvin wasn't ready last year for big things. However, if you watched the games you could see his talent. He has as pure a stroke for a big guy as you will ever see. He is also very athletic which is a necessity in the league. So, dismissing a 19 year old with that much talent is stupid. Real stupid.

Shelden Williams is the polar opposite of Marvin. He is an old rookie at 23. He has 4 years of college under his belt. He does not possess good scoring tools, ie, low post or good face up moves. He overpowered lesser players in the ACC. That won't happen in the NBA. He also lacks the athleticism and explosiveness to really do well in the NBA. I see him as a role player off the bench who can help the team by taking charges and learning how to use his body for rebounding and scoring. He is, in many ways, a bigger project than Marvin because without the athleticism he has to figure out how to get by in the league...that won't happen overnight. I talked with one of the ATL Spirit before the draft. I begged him not to do it. He said his people were so high on Shelden, that he trusted their judgement. They were wrong. This guy may carve out a fair career as he learns the ropes...but he won't be a huge help this year. The thought of him starting at PF is absurd. I see him in a lot of foul trouble and he could give us 18-23 minutes a night. Folks, that is the guy we drafted at #5.

Marvin will go for 15 and 8 this year. His quantum leap will be in year 3...he will be a 20 and 10 guy. This kid will pan out big. Shelden is just too limited. A good GM would have seen it.

Pete - no need to hijack this thread. We can see that you're unhappy with Shelden in every other thread. I don't mean to be a jerk, but I think there is already a thread for the Shelden talk. Please don't become the next Diesel...finding ways to contort every discussion to hate for one guy.

seems like we're gonna have at least one poster obsessed with flaming one of our players in ever thread

diesel/walter: marvin

texaspete: shelden

there are some others are always tough on chill as well

i'd rather just hope they all do well since they are now Hawks; can't change the past; hopefully shelden will become a 15/10 guy for us; hopefully marvin will become a 20+/7+/3+ guy for us

What a bunch of whiny babies...some people can't handle the truth. What you don't understand is that I have been a ticket holder since 1985. I have been sitting down in my seats for a long time. I hate for the Hawks to blow draft picks. I wanted for Shelden to work out...he won't be what many here really wanted.

Talking the truth about Shelden isn't flaming. IF Shelden comes around I will change my tune. I don't go in for putting a player down for the sake of it. The difference between myself and Diesel is...I know what I'm talking about most of the time and my criticism is based on real analysis of a players strengths and weaknesses. I've done my homework. Marvin was not ready last year but it was clear that it was just a matter of time. How much time was not clear...2 to 3 years looked right. I say now its two years.

Its one thing to say we should have taken CP3 or Deron...and another to say MW sucks and was a bad pick. Marvin was NEVER a bad pick. In the eyes of some he was the WRONG pick. I think that he was the right pick. Shelden was just a bad pick. It is hard to make a bad pick in the top 5.

My biggest problem with Knights drafting, to this point, has not been wasting draft picks on bad players. It has been taking the WRONG players. With a Randy Foye this year we would be in the playoffs. Thats what makes this so damn frustrating. But Marvin Williams is about to bust out big. This kid will make 7-10 All-Star teams. Book it.

Quote:

What a bunch of whiny babies...some people can't handle the truth. What you don't understand is that I have been a ticket holder since 1985. I have been sitting down in my seats for a long time. I hate for the Hawks to blow draft picks. I wanted for Shelden to work out...he won't be what many here really wanted.

Talking the truth about Shelden isn't flaming. IF Shelden comes around I will change my tune. I don't go in for putting a player down for the sake of it. The difference between myself and Diesel is...I know what I'm talking about most of the time and my criticism is based on real analysis of a players strengths and weaknesses. I've done my homework. Marvin was not ready last year but it was clear that it was just a matter of time. How much time was not clear...2 to 3 years looked right. I say now its two years.

Its one thing to say we should have taken CP3 or Deron...and another to say MW sucks and was a bad pick. Marvin was NEVER a bad pick. In the eyes of some he was the WRONG pick. I think that he was the right pick. Shelden was just a bad pick. It is hard to make a bad pick in the top 5.

My biggest problem with Knights drafting, to this point, has not been wasting draft picks on bad players. It has been taking the WRONG players. With a Randy Foye this year we would be in the playoffs. Thats what makes this so damn frustrating. But Marvin Williams is about to bust out big. This kid will make 7-10 All-Star teams. Book it.

WE GET IT! YOU DON'T LIKE SHELDEN!...it's one thing if we're discussing shelden, it's another if we're talking about somethign else and you still bring in shelden.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You have mentioned it ad nauseum. This thread had nothing to do with Shelden. Relax.

I agree, and let me explain why I agree...

Fwiw, I consider the "knowledgeable" fans not to be those who jump to the conclusion that they know better than the majority of those who have full-time jobs in professional basketball (typically, having those jobs by virtue of their actual accomplishments as scouts or coaches).

As late as draft night, there were still those who speculated that Marvin would go #1, and an easy majority thought he should go #2 to the Hawks.

If he ends up being a bust, I'm comfortable with the company surrounding me who thought he'd be a star.

On the other hand, at the risk of indulging TPete's thread hijacking, a majority thought the Hawks took the most safe pick, ie someone who posed neither a risk to being a bust nor someone who could become a star. And by virtue of that, a majority thought BK took him too high.

If he ends up being a bust... or a star, for that matter... I'm AGAIN comfortable with the company surrounding me who thought he'd be neither.

I am proud to say I'm not too proud to say that I am not an NBA Nostradamus. I have my opinions, but especially when there is such a pittance of data available to suggest either way, I'm not prepared to pronounce Marvin a star... and not prepared to pronounce Shelden a bust.

I believe it is the prudent thing to withhold judgment for quite awhile longer, even as some have some crying need to be able to say that they were the first to "know" Marvin would be "this" or Shelden would be "that."

Quote:

What a bunch of whiny babies...some people can't handle the truth. What you don't understand is that I have been a ticket holder since 1985. I have been sitting down in my seats for a long time.

I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!!!!

for those snl fans out there....

Quote:

Quote:

What a bunch of whiny babies...some people can't handle the truth. What you don't understand is that I have been a ticket holder since 1985. I have been sitting down in my seats for a long time.

You do not talk to me like that!! I work too hard to deal with this stuff!! I work too hard!! I'm a Division Manager in charge of 49 people!! I drive a Dodge Stratus!!

Doc,

Actually your post has zero to do with the topic in the thread...and you weren't even involved. You just jumped in on your soapbox and started whining...again.

Again, your post has nothing to do with the thread. Get off the soapbox. FYI, there are some posters here who actually have opinions that are not in lock step with the Hawks organization. Try it sometime buddy. It may liberate you to get an opinion that doesn't belong to somebody else.

BTW, I have noticed in other threads that your posts hardly follow the topic. The fact that you call me out is humorous...and highly hypocritical. What you don't like is not hijacking...its my opinion. Its OK to hijack but you have to be in agreement with BK. Right, Doc?

I GET IT!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You do not talk to me like that!! I work too hard to deal with this stuff!! I work too hard!! I'm a Division Manager in charge of 49 people!! I drive a Dodge Stratus!!

You guys are a trip