• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks should be playing right now...

flava

• Premium Member

Welp, Tim Duncan was nothing to shout about during summer camp.

You should take summer league for what it is. A tune up.. You're trying to determine if Williams is worth the pick based on Summer League? Come on man. get a grip. Summer League doesn't tell you that.. and if it did, you couldn't gather much from a boxscore.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

When is your right away?

2 games?

1 game?

First 60 minutes on the court?

First month?

First year?

I think to many of you made assumptions about right away (I don't remember if anybody picking ever said right away).

I think more to the point is that Shelden won't need the development time that seemed to be required for Marvin. It's not going to take Shelden 2-3 years to be prepared to play 30+ mpg.

But it would take any player a lot more than 3 SL games to be prepared for the NBA.

Let's use an example..

JChillz was a three year player in college.

He was consider to be ready "right away".

and for the most part he was. By the end of his first year, he and Smoove were playing (starting) and playing very consistently and very well. But if you look at that first SL game, I don't think you saw that.

Let's refresh...

Click

Click

Quote:

Josh Childress- He looked absolutley terrible. I thought I was watching Demarr Johnson all over again. He did nothing but stand at the 3 point line and pass the ball to scrubs. I saw no desire what so ever. Snyder and other Utah Guards absolutley ate his lunch; they blew by him with little effort and he was easily lost on screens. If his defense was suppose to be one of his strong suits I don't see it. Actually I see good defensive foot work, but I don't see the speed necesarry to guard NBA sg in his sliding of the feet etc... Alot of his struggles probably came from playing Utah, for Utahs offense was ran very well. Snyder was coming off double screens and curls and Josh just doesn't know how to get by them yet. However, I didn't see any fire on defense or offense and that bothers me.

Quote:

Josh Smith, Game Two

#57690 - 07/17/04 08:58 PM

Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote

His scoring dropped, as he scored 5 points on 1 of 7 shooting. Yikes!

However, Smith had 6 blocked shots, 4 assists, 5 rebounds, and 1 steal. I'd be interested to see if his shooting is a reflection of the coaching staff wanting him to work on his jumper during the game, or if he was missing point blank shots.

Hawks win 83-61 over the Sonics. They held the Sonics to 33% shooting and forced 22 turnovers.

http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/game6.pdf

--------------------

"If you can play only five players, and you don't have an above-average center on your roster -- which most teams lack, by the way -- why not just play your best five guys regardless of position?" -- Bill Simmons

Edited by KB21 (07/17/04 09:04 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Email Post

Lascar78

6th Man

Reged: 07/03/03

Loc: ATL

Re: Josh Smith, Game Two [Re: KB21]

#57692 - 07/17/04 09:13 PM

Smith and Childress combine for 5 for 18 shooting? ouch

On the other hand the second rounders go 7 for 11. I wish we could see or at least hear these games... summer league stats on their own don't really tell you much, so all we really have are the official recaps.

emeans

Bench Sniper

Reged: 07/11/02

Re: Josh Smith, Game Two [Re: KB21]

#57693 - 07/17/04 09:37 PM

That is totally fine. He didn't have a good shooting game but he did well in other categories. That is exactly what you want. He is showing he can help the team in other areas if his shooting is not on. Dwight Howard went 1 for 13 in one of his summer league games. Josh Smith will turn out to be Atlanta's best pick this year....WATCH!!

I am really impressed at how they are easily winning these games. Good Sign!!

JTFan31

Starter

Reged: 06/10/02

Loc: Miami, Florida

Re: Josh Smith, Game Two [Re: emeans]

#57695 - 07/17/04 10:56 PM

Exactly emeans, Yes he did have an off night and as a rookie especially an 18 year old kid, he will have his up and downs during the season, but one thing you cant deny and take away from him and that is his "athleticism". The kid is a tremendous athlete. What it did look like by his stat line that he didnt hang his head like the knock that he was getting during pre draft 2004. Alot of critics say that he tends to hand his head when not playing good, well that will not happen under Woodson and in this league for him, he has something to prove and he will. I'm not worry about him that much, he will get his share of points and he he will get better and better. As long as he does the other things: defense, rebounding, just keep his head in the game.

As for Childress it looks like he is very consistent and he will get his points every night, he doesnt seem to me like one of those inconsistent players, he has alot of arsenal in his game. Junior had a nice game and so did Donta. These young guys are outplaying the other teams young guys, I like to see that thus far.

It's so funny that Diesel is telling everyone to be patient and wait it out after he bashed Marvin all year last year.

I'm looking forward to this next season. Thanks for posting the summer league talk from years past. It's great to see everyone size up a player's future based on 2-3 summer league games.

Yes you did, but there were several thinly veiled cheap shots taken at Marvin before the 20 game mark if I remember right.

I'd actually like your take on Marvin's play in the summer league so far. What do you make of it?

For me, I'm pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect him to play this well.

"If I recall right, I gave Marvin 20 games to do something. "

Which is still just a stupid thing to do.

We all tend to try to project, but 20 games or 50 or 1 season really does not tell us how good a player will be after year 3 or year 5.

Sometimes is just depends on the team and the situation under which they develop.

Draft Express says:

"Shelden Williams has played a little better tonight which is to say that he should be able to make a developmental squad. For the 5th pick he has looked terrible. He still pulls some rebounds but seems to block shots more by luck than anything else. He isn't bigger and stronger than his competition anymore and it turns out he is slower than everyone else on top of that."

They also say that Marvin is the best player in the league. I'm sure plenty will accept their assesment of Marvin but not Shelden. If Shelden's shot wasn't falling or something like that then no big deal. But we are talking about huge fundamental flaws in this ability to compete at higher levels. That is troubling.

• Premium Member

I'm glad to see him playing aggressively.

But that's about all that you can get from SL.

Too many of you guys get geeked up into believing that SL means something one way or the other... SL means absolutely nothing. I hope Marvin continues to play as aggressively as he does in SL.

what a horrible point of view.

I'll take it you think sports writers have no right to exist unless they were good pros? And no one can ever criticize anything michael jordan did?

I could be wrong, but I believe you frequently criticize NCAA and NBA players, and to my knowledge you were never a Div I NCAA athlete or an NBA player. So what's your right to criticize any ball player?

Quote:

People who simply don't know enough shouldn't be questioning things. It isn't their place to question these things. Billy actually has more self control than I do, because I'd quickly put you back into your place if you ever questioned me about how I do my job...or the job I will be doing in two years when I graduate from medical school.

My grandmother was misdiagnosed by a doctor, and she told the doctor she was misdiagnosed. That doctor wouldn't believe her, so we had to take her to get a second opinion which agreed with my grandmother. It saved her from being in a wheelchair the rest of her life, she can still walk now. With your narrow-minded and dimwitted example, it wasn't her place to tell the doctor that they had misdiagnosed her foot, he told her that no surgery could fix her foot. But guess what, she did question the doctor, got a second opinion then had surgery and now she can still walk. Thanks to Doctor KB in this situation, all you have to do is talk to one professional of medicine about a situation and thats it, NO QUESTIONS.

Get your head out of your ass KB, people need to be questioned all the time and it IS our place as fans to question BK.

KB, your constant defense of this man is REALLY creepy. It goes well beyond what most would consider reasonable. We all screw up occasionally...even your idol. You defend him so vigorously that you very well may be a family member. That is the only reasonable explanation for the lengths that you go to to support everything he does...right, wrong, or indifferent. He is totally beyond reproach from your view.

Quote:

KB, your constant defense of this man is REALLY creepy.

Extremely so. I have been visiting sports message boards for years, and I have never seen such slavish, dog-like devotion by a fan for a sports executive. I swear BK could cut a fart and KB would claim it smelled like roses. IMO his behavior is extremely bizarre, and it makes me wonder if there aren't restraining orders lying in KB's future?