• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If I had my druthers...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Dalembert has not progressed at all in the last three seasons. He had one playoff series against Detroit where he actually did something, Philly overpaid to keep him, and now they are stuck with him. Stephen Hunter was starting over him last season. No thanks. If he had any kind of basketball IQ I would be interested but I don't see him ever "getting it" to earn his contract.

• Premium Member

I think if you look at him, he's a perfect fit for our team. He's not some lumbering big man that will slow up our break, he's going to finish and fit with our runners. He's defensive. IN Philly, they were asking him to be defensive like Mutombo and Theo used to be... He's not that type of defender. Moreover, Mike Woodson was this guys first coach. Woody worked directly with Dalemebert. And...

chillbwb_061306_200.jpg

• Premium Member

I know he is an athletic big man. He can motor. He also is a good rebounder. But he has a very low basketball IQ, hands of stone on offense and his footwork is poor. He goes for the block too much and leaves his man to do it. I'm not going to say it would be a franchise crippling mistake to trade for him but he's not worth his contract and at his age he's not going to get better (or smarter) to make him worth that kind of deal.

Besides which doesn't he have 5 years left on his contract and we can only take back 4 years?

• Premium Member

I think it depends on how he meshes with our personell. Let's look at the pros...

1. He motors... That gives him an advantage over everybody on the list.

2. He block shots... Imagine: Smoove, Dalambert, Shelden... we should be swatcity.

3. He's a good rebounder... This is key.. we have a good rebounder.

Let's look at the cons:

1. Low BBIQ... BBIQ is made on reputition. BBIQ is a matter of coaching... Ask Mike Fratello about all the guys who coached with low BBIQ.

2. He goes for the block too much. - Really, is this a problem? You could probably say the same about Smoove.

3. He's under contract. = Maybe he's making more than his total worth. However, Name 1 big that we can get who is not overpaid or going to be overpaid. Next year both Mihm and Magloire will be looking for contracts that will be larger than Dalemberts. I think it's the cost of doing business. You pay for needs... Just like we paid for JJ, we would have to pay for a good big because the draft sure is not providing them.

• Premium Member

I'm not too concerned with how Philly maintains their team. I'm more concerned with if Woody thinks that there's something good there. IF so, I would trade Lue for Dalembert and move from there.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Well someone had to be the scapegoat.

The benching for Steven Hunter is a bad sign, IMO. That is a big red flag.

Exactly. The man got replaced by Hunter because Dalembert CAN motor but he does NOT motor as much as he should. Translation: he has laziness issues.

Diesel, I understand why you would want him. I wanted the Hawks to sign him as a RFA last offseason. But instead of progressing last season he actually regressed slightly on offense and still has not reached the point where you can say he's your guy in the middle for six years, seven years.

He has stone hands which really hurts his offensive contributions and yes, I do hate to say this, always going for a block is not a good thing. Someone has to hold the offensive player's position in the low post and simply contest the shot or make them work for it.

If we get him w/o giving up too much, ok, he's our center and we'll try to help his weaknesses. But I don't think it would be a good move.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Diesel, I understand why you would want him. I wanted the Hawks to sign him as a RFA last offseason. But instead of progressing last season he actually regressed slightly on offense and still has not reached the point where you can say he's your guy in the middle for six years, seven years.

I really don't care too much about his offense. I think we would have an offensive C and a defensive C if you want to look at it that way. What I see is somebody who can finally close the 7 lane highway that has allowed guards to dance down the lane and score with ease.

Moreover, I also see that our team will be settled. We won't have to worry about finding another deal next offseason. We will have everything we need.

The thing that interests me the most is he's a great fit with what we're trying to do and what we already have. He's 24-25... He's a running Center who plays defense. He rebounds and plays with energy.

Like Bernie said " He's not Shaq"... But somehow, people have come to expect some allstar out of this deal.

I hope the deal is Lue for Dalembert.

Quote:

Basically, a deal that destroys Atlanta's salary structure....a deal that Dalembert will never produce enough to be worth.

Atlanta currently has a center that is 3 times better than Dalembert at half the cost.

What salary structure? Who are you saving the money for? And Zaza is not 3 times better than Dalembert...damn sure isn't defensively.

Quote:

Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, Josh Childress......Basically, the core of this basketball team.

Not spending the cap money won't help you resign those players, we would have to go over the cap to resign them anyway and history has proved that one of them will be gone in the first place. And we still wouldn't have a defensive center.

• Premium Member

There's no chance Childress stays on this team past his rookie deal. Someone will offer him enough $$$ and playing time to be their starting SG. We'll probably be in this same situation in two years trying to find a good deal for him in a S&T situation.