• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawk's COULD Be Purchased before summer?

Diesel

• Premium Member

There was a fight for the new Charlotte Franchise. It was a hard fought battle and Bird and his investment team Lost. If they were serious about owning a franchise, Atlanta could be a prime Market for The Bird group. Actually, I know Babs and CO. are relieved that Bird's group didn't win. For had they won, I'm sure that Johnson would have set his eyes on the Atlanta Hawks and would have cleaned house. Anyway, Babcock talks like a man who knows his days are numbered. With the franchise being on the market, this is no longer a promotional gimmick, this has become Babcock's last stand. Fortunately, I don't think that the City will lose the Hawks altogether (even though the attendance SUCKS). But I do think that Next yr we might see a new begginning. So for Babcock's last stand, I seriously doubt he allows Kruger to continue to sit at the helm while the team underachieves. Dec. 19, 20... New Coach. Jan 1... New regime in Atlana basketball.

to determine what it would take to buy the Hawks. As long as they wouldn't try to move the team (and I seriously doubt they would), I'd be all for that move.

I read an article somewhere today where the author was saying that there were teams in the Central Division (us and the Cavs?) that were likely to be available and that Bird's group might try acquire one of them. I could see them giving Nique some kind of role with the team, either in the front office or as an assistant coach. If the team keeps losing at their current rate, AOL might try to sell sooner than later.

• Premium Member

Well, the point is...

As long as they don't move the team. Honestly, St. Louis is primed for a franchise. The Hawks going back to St. Louis is not so far fetched. There's also Jacksonville who tried before... But Orlando is so Close that I can't see that as being a possibility. However, St. Louis and Anaheim will put up good offers for a franchise and the Hawks going to St. Louis could be a strong possibility in either circumstance.

Now, if Bird Group does call AOL, the asking price is only 200 million (reported). Sounds like a lot, but when you think about it.... Jordan was worth 400 million when he took over the Wizards. Big Dog's contract was a 100 million dollar deal. I'm sure the Charlotte franchise costed far more than 200 million... [censored] they had to buy a new stadium. Atlanta already has the Phillips arena... It's an easier deal in my opinion...

Maybe this summer, there will be new owners and it's possible that they will clean house totally.

Robert Johnson, billionaire founder of BET, is looking to purchase a NBA franchise. Atlanta would be perfect 1.) Atlanta is already considered the leading city for African American 2.) Johnson has the power to get the Hawks a superstation ala BET - 88 million housholds nationwide. 3.)Johnson has the clout to give the Hawks the celebrity image that the Lakers have. 4.) He would fire Lonny!!!! Yea!!!! 5.) It would make Atlanta a more attractive team to most players 6.) Just the simple fact that the Hawks are a franchise with Black ownership would instantly a.) bring a great deal of media attention and b)bring out droves of black fans (85% of the city of Atlanta and nearly 40% of the metro area).

Hawks would become a hot ticket everyone from BHD to Puffy to Bob & Whitney would be on the sidelines.