• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Betemit to LAD instead

joannes3000

I'm not too crazy about this deal. Willie Aybar seems like a good prospect and may pan out, but I'm not sold on Danys Baez at all. Baez has already blown 7 saves this season, and he blew 8 saves last season. He's given up 17 earned runs in his last 22.1 innings of work, and he hasn't shown that he is a strike out guy during that time with 11 strike outs to 7 walks. Teams are also hitting .283 against him this year, and lefties are killing him with a .309 average and an .804 OPS.

I wanted the Braves to stabilize the pen if they traded Betemit, not add another question mark to the pen.

I think the big question is who the Braves will put at 2B if they do move Marcus Giles in the future or lose him to free agency?

Is Yunel Escobar the guy the Braves are looking at as Giles's potential replacement?

Martin Prado isn't a guy that I see as a starting quality second baseman in the big leagues.

I think it is unlikely at this point that they move Eric Campbell to 2B and rush him. I think he's got probably three more years at the minor league level before he breaks into the bigs as a 3B.

I guess we can now throw Willie Aybar's name in there as a possible 2B.

Baez is not a good pitcher. If we were going to trade Betemit, I wanted something serious back. Proctor would've been solid. Linebrink would've been good. I'm not pleased with this at all. Based on how the starting pitching has been going, we're going to have to hustle to win the wildcard. Baez isn't a huge difference maker.

They need another starter, but after starting this homestand with a 1-4 record, I'm not willing to sacrafice the future to make a run at the wild card. Today's loss pretty much knocks us out of chasing the Mets. We would have cut the lead to single digits if we could have swept the Mets in this series.

I don't know what is up with Tim Hudson and the 6th inning lately. Our pitching overall has been putrid this season, with the occasional flashes of good pitching. Bobby obviously still lacks confidence in the bullpen, because he left Hudson in there to get shelled for 7 runs in the 6th today.

I knew the day would come when the Braves would have to replenish with the young guys on the roster. I'll be glad when Kyle Davies gets back in mid-August, because he and Chuck James are the pitchers the rotation will be built around for the next run.

Quote:

They need another starter, but after starting this homestand with a 1-4 record, I'm not willing to sacrafice the future to make a run at the wild card. Today's loss pretty much knocks us out of chasing the Mets. We would have cut the lead to single digits if we could have swept the Mets in this series.

I don't know what is up with Tim Hudson and the 6th inning lately. Our pitching overall has been putrid this season, with the occasional flashes of good pitching. Bobby obviously still lacks confidence in the bullpen, because he left Hudson in there to get shelled for 7 runs in the 6th today.

I knew the day would come when the Braves would have to replenish with the young guys on the roster. I'll be glad when Kyle Davies gets back in mid-August, because he and Chuck James are the pitchers the rotation will be built around for the next run.

I myself was never impressed with Hudson. Despite his record, his failed to be overly impressive. Atleast IMO...

It's ashame the Braves don't have Barry Zito instead. Yeah, he's been inconsistant, but I love his curveball.

It seemed like the Braves were willing to just throw Betemit away and they finally did. John's moves lately haven't been overly impressive lately anyway.

I mean, why trade Betemit when you can't count on Chipper to be in the lineup anymore?

He's had a good amount of saves the past two years, to try and offset his current bad numbers. And while I agree that I would've rather seen us get a more solid setup guy (cuz there isn't a very realistic shot at getting a solid starter), getting Baez AND an infielder is ok with me. Betemit wouldn't have been able to play 2B while Aybar can. And again, we have a decent pipeline of middle infielders also.

Quote:

that's nonsensne, maybe by these unrealisitc stats you try to hold people to before you call them good. Is he a star? no. But .283 against and a 4.35era is above average in MLB.

Anything above 4 is mediocre IMO. Just because you lower your expectations of what you call good because MLB is crappy right now doesn't mean everybody has to do the same. It's not nonsense at all.

Above average? lol

Let's say that's true... It says more about how bad modern pitchers are than anything. Pitchers struggle to get out of the 6th inning these days. And today's players are supposed to have better stamina.

Expecting a pitcher to have an era under 4 isn't even close to being unrealistic... You're just being a homer.

Quote:

He was under 4.00, but had a few bad innings in last couple of games.

If you look at his career numbers, he is been consistent.

and i think his era can easily be in mid 3.00 by the end of season which is good.

And what would make you think he'd all of a sudden do that? It doesn't matter what he did or didn't do in the past. Last year Willis was like a 20 game winner... This year he's a crappy pitcher.

Quote:

Quote:

and i think his era can easily be in mid 3.00 by the end of season which is good.

And what would make you think he'd all of a sudden do that? It doesn't matter what he did or didn't do in the past. Last year Willis was like a 20 game winner... This year he's a crappy pitcher.

You honestly don't think the fact that the Marlins were gutted in the offseason has anything to do with the difference in Willis' stats this year?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You honestly don't think the fact that the Marlins were gutted in the offseason has anything to do with the difference in Willis' stats this year?

Seems like he got toasted a pretty good bit this year.

His last start:

2.1 innings 5 hits and 8 ER's

That's not his teammates fault. He's given up 20 more hits than innings pitched...

Yes, he might not ever repeat the year he had last year. But he's been pretty bad this year. That's not to say that he will not have a good year next year.

I like Willis actually... But baseball changes.

Part of my point...

Baseball is a year by year thing.... There's a new champion ever year. Most division winners change every year. Pitchers are sometimes up and down sometimes. Ditto for hitters. Look at Thome... I know he was injuried, but he was terrible in the games he did play last year.

Now he's a 50 HR guy again.

Look at the Tigers. They were laughable last year.. One year later they got the best record.

Baseball goes by the year. What might work one year might not work at all the next year. Next year the Tigers could be in last place again.