• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gery Woelfel: Magloire to Portland "official"

mrhonline

• Premium Member

http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=7105

Quote:

The long-awaited trade of Jamaal Magloire is all but official.

The Bucks have verbally agreed to deal the veteran center to the Portland Trail Blazers for guard Steve Blake, forward Brian Skinner and center Ha Seung-Jin.

Wow. Just wow.

For those tallying things up, the Bucks traded Desmond Mason and a 1st rounder to New Orleans for Magloire last year.

So, they essentially traded Mason/1st for Steve Blake.

It doesn't even make sense. Portland now has Pryz, Magloire, LaFrentz, Aldridge, and Randolph...thats a pretty big logjam.

What will be even worse is if Bernie WAS talking about Magloire as our guy, and now we lost him. In the coming weeks we will find out about this.

• Premium Member

I have long wondered whether Indiana is the one forcing the stalemate with Harrington. Al still DOES count against our cap, enough to keep us from just trading for Magloire. I believe Indiana was using that as blackmail to get us to lower our own demands on an unprotected 2007 1st rounder because they knew we were waiting to deal Harrington and turn around and grab Magloire.

It also would help Indiana to keep Magloire from coming to us and forcing him out west in another conference.

It's amazing that Jamaal's last two seasons has dropped his value this drastically. Milwaukee is hardly getting anything for him in this deal.

I've had my doubts about Jamaal based on his steady decline in production over the last two year, but Portland is getting him for a song. Does Larry Harris owe Steve Patterson some favors or something?

• Premium Member

More message board fodder:

Quote:

Portland finally stopped waffling and agreed to the deal for sure. It will go through on Monday.

Also, it should be noted that neither Steve Blake, nor Mo Williams, are happy about this deal.

At least as of right now. Perhaps they will change their mind, possibly with some convincing from Harris or Stotts, but rest assurred that neither are happy upon hearing this news.

That is not speculation. All facts above. Speculation to follow:

I believe (and this IS speculation) that we will not enter next season with both Steve Blake and Mo Williams on the roster. It is possible that Steve Blake could be flipped, but he is the guy the Bucks wanted in this trade, so I doubt it.

I believe that Mo Williams will be shipped out ASAP. Either by himself, or packaged with Joe Smith.

The target will be a SG who is at least 6'6" and who can also be used at SF.

I sure hope I'm talking about Josh Childress, rather than Stephen Jackson.

Would you trade Childress/Lue for Mo Williams/Joe Smith?

Or Childress/Lue for Mo Williams/Brian Skinner?

The only guy I can think of is Chris Mihm. Whether many want to believe it or not, he's put together back to back seasons where he was at least an average center in the NBA. He's posted a 15+ PER and 16+ USG in each of the past two seasons. Overall, he's put up right around 16 points and 10 rebounds per forty minutes over the past two years. His true shooting percentage of 55.2% is very good. He's also relatively cheap for the production he has given during this time.

I don't know. He could be a trade target in which we just deal some cash and a 2nd round pick to get him. I don't know how much the Los Angeles Lakers value him. He's the only starting quality center on their roster. In fact, I think Chris Mihm and Brian Cook are probably the two most underrated players on their team.

I'm much more receptive to a Josh Childress for Maurice Williams trade than I am a Josh Childress for Jamaal Magloire trade. If Milwaukee trades Maurice Williams, they are taking two steps backwards, IMO. Trading T.J. Ford and promoting Maurice Williams was an improvement for them, and I had them making a push up the playoff ladder because of that move alone. Now, if they deal Maurice Williams and hand the starting point guard spot over to Steve Blake, they give Indiana new life to get into the playoffs.

I'd hate losing Josh Childress, but Maurice Williams is one of the best young point guards in the league.

July 29, 2006

Dear Billy Knight,

I really want to be a Hawks fan. To root for them and have a team to be proud of. But you make it damn hard to be a fan. I start to get excited about something and there's some sort of catastrophe and it goes from one thing to another. This whole thing drawn out without Al just fuels my ambivalence and temps me to say: "to hell with it." Hopes of getting Mags have been dashed and I wonder if we really will get another big man. But I will blow it off for a while and give you another chance, but it is not getting any easier. Not sure how many chances I'll give you.

I'm just glad football has started which will be a welcome distraction.

Get your shyt together and make the damn trade.

Dr. R.

Yeah, but it's just a scope on the ankle. It's a major weight bearing joint and all, but he'll be ready to go by training camp. Personaly, I think the Lakers would be foolish to trade him, but they are the same fools that gave Kwame Brown a big contract.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Hopes of getting Mags have been dashed

The Hawks couldn't trade for Magloire until the Harrington S&T was resolved. I'd rather Knight try to get the best draft pick available than worry about Magloire.

Only if the Hawks acquired Maurice Williams, and I have my doubts about that. The reason he is upset in Milwaukee now would be the same reason Speedy would be upset if we acquired Maurice. As much as I would like to see that happen, it probably won't.