• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The starting 5.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I think the starting lineup will look like this:

Speedy, JJ, Smoove, Shelden, and Zaza.

one of the good things is that each starting position has a quality BU playing behind it save PF... but the Pf spot is not that big of a concern.

The questions that will be answered in camp are:

1. Will we find a place for Jones or will he be on the DL team?

2. Grundy or Ivey as the 3rd PG?

3. How will we use Salim?

If you consider Speedy/JJ as our starting Backcourt and Lue/Chillz as their backups.. How do we use Salim?

Slim looks to be tradeable.

funny you should bring up backups.

I see the 2 possible lineups as

Speedy/Lue/Salim

JJ/Chill

Smith/Marvin

Shelden/Batista

Zaza/Wright

where as you said there is no adequate backup PF.

But if you look at the other main possible lineup

Speedy/Lue

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Chill

Smith/Shelden/Batista

Zaza/Wright

the only weak backup is Salim at the SG. However, JJ is our best and most durable player, so I think that makes it much less of a problem. That's why I think that Marvin-Smith should start. I think it leads to a rotation that makes a lot more sense. As long as you make sure that you don't play Salim-Lue together, this is the way to go.

• Premium Member

I think if you go with how we rotate though...

Chillz will get some time at the OG position with JJ playing OG. I don't think Speedy will ruin that.

I really don't know if Smoove wants to play pf. If Sekou was a HS reader, that would be one of the interviews he should try to get. He should try to get Smoove in interview to see just how does Smoove feel about losing Al, playing PF, Offseason hopes.

I'm starting to think that either Lue or Salim has to be traded being that they have so much value but so little value to us.

• Premium Member

I'm not terribly concerned with who starts, but with the distribution of minutes at each position.

1. Speedy/Lue is the rotation at the 1, with JJ getting what's left.

2. JJ and Childress consume these minutes.

3. Marvin and Josh take all of these minutes, with any extra going to Childress.

4. Smith, Sheldon, Wright, Batista will split these somehow.

5. Zaza and Wright are the consumers here...

Diesel is right - Salim is expendable, unless he improves his point guard ability. (Still, he's basically a minimum-level salary, so unless he becomes a troublemaker, why not keep him for depth?).

First. i think we should get rid of Ivy.

That clears the way for Salim or JJ to be the 3rd pg.

And if recent history repeats itself...either Speedy or Lue

will get injured and miss some games.We should keep Salim because we need the depth.I'm still have nightmares about that IVY/Grundy combo we had to use when Lue, Salim and Childress were all injured

• Premium Member

Actually,

I like Grundy. I think Grundy will be a good PG in this league.

I agree, Ivey has no place on this team. Maybe somewhere else as a BU but not with us.

However, I'm up for trading Lue. Here's why:

Lue has value.

Lue is making a bit much for being a BU.

Lue's defense is not great.

You are right. There is no way he isn't a starter this season. If Shelden starts we have to start Marvin because a starting lineup of Speedy, JJ, JS, SW, and ZAZA would leave us with only JJ as a consistent outside shooter. Marvin would have to start to spread the floor. If we start games with that lineup teams will collapse on defense and control the paint because those guys can't beat you from the outside or have jumpers.

Are we sure that speedy is starting? Are we sure that SW is starting?

We need an effective starting lineup or we are doomed to get behind in games early.

Diesel, I know you love Shelden, but I wouldn't assume he starts just because he was drafted to add defense. He hasn't proven anything yet. (Although far be it for someone to disagree with all mighty one - Whatever!)

Speedy

JJ

Marv

Smoove

ZaZa

The more lineups you see with JJ/Marv/Smoove in at the same time, the better the chance to win.

i guess you are completely out of your mind. How can you say "Batista or Edwards". We all know Batista is foul prone as they come, but he brings intensity, hustle and defense. Edwards is a stiff who can't give us anything, no defense, no rebounding, no attitude. He should be out of the league, and that 4th big spot is clearly deserved by Batista, backing up 4 and 5 for about 10 min. a game