• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Harrington to the Pacers is dead

WraithSentinel

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think they will want what Prince, Josh Howard, and Kirk Hinrich get in terms of extensions. However, I doubt they will actually get what they will get, none of them are as good as them.

Its a little early to conclude how good these players will be when they become restricted Free agents don't you think?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

"Bernie Mullin even stated that the only thing being offered to the Hawks at the deadline were packages that included the Hawks taking on overpaid, underachieving players. I don't know why some choose to believe some damn sports writer over what the president of the Hawks actually says"

Well, why in the world would anyone believe Bernie? He has been on the breakfast with Bernie show anouncing all of these "big" things happening and at the end of the night we hear NOTHING!

I don't thing this ownership group has a clue to what is going on. BK has shown he can bring in young talent based on moving veteran contracts for draft picks and knocking this team to record lows in winning and I think the team is improving with that young talent. The problem is he cannot complete a deal to bring in the good veteran player.

I agree with Dejay I don't give a damn about the luxury tax or salary cap. We just want a winning team.

The Atlanta Spirit, LLC has it's finger stuck you know where!

And that's my point. I don't think there were any 'Over the Lines' episodes on ESPN detailing how the Bulls' dynasty would crumble because of the cap back when they were winning titles. And there wasn't any hints of problems with the Spurs, Kings, Mavs, Pacers, Heat, Suns, or Lakers for that matter because they've been in contention for the better part of a decade now. Last I checked, neither of those squads ran a bare-bones operation to get there like this one has. NOT A SINGLE ONE. I'm not advocating that the Hawks should go on a spending spree for the hell of it but my goodness, this idea of not spending any $$$ unless it becomes painfully obvious for them to do so (JJ, Claxton, Zaza) gets pretty old, especially to an already impatient and apathetic fanbase.

Guest Walter

When you consider signing FAs as the only means to using cap space then you are, as a poster here put it, making an error of omission. Cap space can be used to foster deals for talent you could otherwise not get either because the salaries are too one-sided and would not match or the talent in favor of your team requires some cap relief incentive for the other team to agree to the deal.

We don't resign any young talent for 2 years. We can take on an extra 1 or 2 year contract if that is the difference between us getting a Bynum verses a Mihm, Jefferson vs nobody from Indy, or the like.

W

I think BK's defining legacy will be his draft picks. His strategy was to build through the draft, and he picked JJ up along the way. One big question in my mind will be if he missed badly more than once with his draft picks. I can forgive one miss because of the nature of the draft. So far the big hit was Josh Smith, beyond that his picks are going to have to show more to improve his legacy.

Guest Walter

Quote:

beyond that his picks are going to have to show more to improve his legacy.

When BK has gone against the conventional wisdom he has been wrong (Childress over Iggy and Deng) and WAY wrong (SW over Roy, Foye, or even Gay). The Childress pick no longer bothers me as iggy and Deng, while both better picks, weren't way better.

When he has gone with conventional wisdom (MW) he has been wrong.

It's just hard for me to understand why BK gets much love at all for his drafting. His record here has been unimpressive considering the drafts, our position, and the sheer number of our high draft picks.

W

Quote:

I guess Indy thought that they were taking back too much money with AL's salary and Edwards combined. They knew they didn't want to pay the 57million from the beginning. I am pretty sure the 1million dollars for Edwards wasn't the sticking point.

I still don't understand the insistence on including Edwards in the deal. If he doesn't belong on the team (which he doesn't), then why not just waive him- rather than have him be a sticking point in any potential trade? That one million dollars is already a sunk cost. We're not getting it back either way, so why not just release the guy and be done with it?

And fwiw, I'm as happy as anyone that the Indy deal is off. Harrington will get a pile of money from someone no doubt, but Indiana just seemed an ideal situation. That's where he started his career, that's where his parents are, that's where his best friends live. And the Harrington/Indiana interest was mutual. There's little doubt that if Al had a choice in the matter, that's where he'd go. But basically Donnie Walsh rejected him and said he wasn't worth it. Everything else aside, I would think that would have to feel very disappointing. So I can emphathize with Al Harrington, as no one likes to be rejected like that.

Childress was not a terrible miss, although I would prefer Deng or Iggy.

Marvin over Paul could be a terrible miss, but I'm willing to let the games play out a season or two more to be sure. There is little doubt that Marvin was considered the #2 prospect and Paul was the #4. He actually could live up to his draft hype yet.

Shelden could be the 2nd big time miss, and I'm actually more worried about this result than Marvin.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Shelden could be the 2nd big time miss, and I'm actually more worried about this result than Marvin.

This from Truehoop.com Sam Smith...

Quote:

"Roy is this year's Chris Paul if he starts," one general manager said last week. "When it's all said and done, he's the rookie of the year. He doesn't quite have NBA three-point range yet, but he's got everything else and is ready to go."

When has a GM TWICE in consecutive drafts passed up the ROY, especially with the pick one or two positions removed from the player's actually drafting position?

I think Foye is going to get alot of opportunities up in Minny also. We'll see.

W

Quote:

Quote:

This from Truehoop.com Sam Smith...

Quote:

"Roy is this year's Chris Paul if he starts," one general manager said last week. "When it's all said and done, he's the rookie of the year. He doesn't quite have NBA three-point range yet, but he's got everything else and is ready to go."

When has a GM TWICE in consecutive drafts passed up the ROY, especially with the pick one or two positions removed from the player's actually drafting position?

I think Foye is going to get alot of opportunities up in Minny also. We'll see.

W

There is a contradiction in that statement...how could you be Chris Paul if there is a question whether or not you will even start. IMO he is the #2 PG at best in Portland.

Guest Walter

Quote:

There is a contradiction in that statement...how could you be Chris Paul if there is a question whether or not you will even start. IMO he is the #2 PG at best in Portland.

I believe Roy will start whether at the 1 or the 2 for Portland, but more importantly, even if he didn't from day 1 he could still be ROY as ROY dont always start from day 1, he will most definately get 28 or more MPG if healthy, will be a major contributor for them.

The question isn't about who starts from day 1, it's about who's ROY. IF we lose out on ROY twice thanks to BK's picks will everyone not agree BK can't draft high!?!

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Ummm, no. It's about who's the best player in the long run. You don't draft players just for how you think they'll perform in their first year.

And BTW, the "question" was refering to who would win ROY. SO, when asking who will win ROY, you don't solely ask yourself who will start, but who will do best in a role that allows them to showcase. But back to the point. ON what planet will SW be better than Roy?

W

Quote:

The question isn't about who starts from day 1, it's about who's ROY. IF we lose out on ROY twice thanks to BK's picks will everyone not agree BK can't draft high!?!

W

Perhaps, but not if Marvin shows that he is in the top 2-3 from his draft class. Not if Shelden plays a lot better than people expect.

Basically it depends on how well his picks perform, and, in addition to that, if the guys he turned down become all world players. If Paul turns into Damon Stoudemire instead of Isaiah Thomas and if Roy is more on the level of Mike Miller, we can forgive BK. If they turn into perennial all stars than we can nail BK.

I would surely hope that SW and Marvin are everything we (and BK) hope to be, if not better. Otherwise, we'll be looking at those draft picks and what could've been for a long time (as would ESPN, Foxsports, and CNNSI), just we did during the Babcock/Kasten years.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Isn't that like counting your chickens...

This is why they play the games, we'll find out.

To figure it out before we play games.

It's their job to do their homework and not (gulp) not have the yoke played twice in a row on them.

W

Quote:

Quote:

I think
they will want what Prince, Josh Howard, and Kirk Hinrich get in terms of extensions. However, I doubt they will actually get what they will get, none of them are as good as them.

Its a little early to conclude how good these players will be when they become restricted Free agents don't you think?

I don't think so. So far, they have contributed the same amount to our team as the other players I mentioned.

I will definitely say that none of the Joshes are worthy of a Max deal. I guess its possible that Marvin could become really good this season and that would convince me to say he is worthy of a Max deal.