• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tiger dominates yet again...

chillzatl

• Admin

after the second day, there was little doubt who the winner would be. You could see it in his walk.

How crappy would it be to be these other guys? When you just know that you don't have a chance. There should be an asterisk next to his name on the #1 world ranking that says "The gap between #1 and #2 is embarassing".

Luke Donald started the final day tied with Tiger so one had to figure it wasn't "over" by any means.

Then they played a few holes and it was over. These guys just wilt against Tiger...But to be fair if Tiger had to shoot a 66 to win instead of a 68...he probably would have.

Congrats Tiger!

• Premium Member

I think it was the same way back in the day for Jack N. I don't think Jack dominated in the same fashion that Tiger does... i.e. Strong off the tee, great midgame and good short game. I think Jack's whole winning streak was based on never making mistakes. Jack didn't overpower people, he just got ahead and didn't make mistakes. I bet if you look at their History, Jack has far more pars and less birdies than Tiger and Tiger has far more boogeys than Jack. In short, Jack was a par player.

I don't think that means that he was dominate, just that he wasn't dominated by the course.

Tiger dominates the course.. Especially when his swing is tee off is strong.

• Admin

I felt it was over. I'm a Tiger fan, but you could tell by the way that he was playing that he would slowly pull away and nobody would challenge him. The way he's played over the last few tourneys, he may well be back to where he was a few years ago. Where it was Tiger and everyone else.

Have you noticed how the US Amateur suddenly isn't mentioned as a major?

When Jack won the Masters in '86 it was considered his 20th major (2 US Am titles and 18 professional majors). Now everyone pretends like the US Amateur doesn't count.

When Tiger won the PGA last year it actually tied him with Bobby Jones at 13. I figured the press would make a big deal out of it since they were both the same age and also the only players to have won the Slam.

But nobody mentioned it.

Whatever it was still his 13th major, tying him with Jones. Obviously I don't follow the game as much now. I used to follow it very closely when I was playing all the time.

I know they made a big deal out of it when Nicklaus tied Jones, and they were counting the US Am back then.

It is interesting to compare the two players.

Jack was a much better ball striker than Tiger. Tiger routinely misses shots by a wider margin than a prime Jack did.I remember Jack was 40 when they first starting tracking players stats and Jack was the best driver by a mile. he was 10th in driving distance and 13th in driving accuracy at age 40. Nobody's combined ranking was anywhere close. Tiger is currently 150th in accuracy.

However Tigers ability to recover, especially around the green, pretty much punks Jack. Nicklaus admitted that he found practicing the short game boring and didn't feel like he needed to practice it that much anyway. He felt like he hit so many greens and was such a good putter that it didn't matter.

Tigers work ethic >>>>>> Jacks work ethic. During the fall Jack wouldn't hardly pick up a club for months. The first few months of the season jack would play his way into form for Augusta. I don't think Tiger ever really strays from the range for very long.

Jack was fat and out of shape until he was 30, and then he got in moderately good condition. Still he was never remotely as conditioned as Tiger.

I think Jack really feels like he left a few majors get away from him and is regretting it now. He was recently quoted on ESPN that he didn't win any majors between '67 and '70 because he wasn't taking it seriously enough. That is BS.

In one of his instructional books i read he said the real reason was that he had a flaw in his setup that was causing his shoulders to close down right before he took the club away (turned out to be a problem with his forward press). This forced him to play a draw even though he generally prefered a fade at that time. He didn't figure out what was wrong for three years.

Unless someone really good comes along I think Tiger will pass Jack by a wide margin. With his conditioning and flexibility he could be winning well into his 40s if he is still motivated.