• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Saving Private Ryan-Overrated

Plainview1981

i was just watching this movie last night and I feel like it's overrated. Don't get me wrong, It's very well filmed, very well acted, and the action is great, but depressing at the same time.

It's just that it feels slow paced and I just don't find the characters all that interesting. Anybody else feel the same way? It's a great movie from a technical point of view... But I think the characters aren't interesting enough, and I just didn't like the pace of the film.

I gave it a 7/10 at rotten... Don't think it's worth a 10.

Quote:

hell no, it's one of the best war movies of all time. The reason most everyone feels this way is BECAUSE the characters are well developed and interesting. 10/10.

I thought it was filmed and it had some harsh and realistic action scenes... But I didn't think the characters were all that interesting. It's not that I hate slow paced movies, as I love Shawshank and Capote... But this one after repeated viewings just don't work for me.

You really had to have seen it in a theater with war vets. There was a guy in front of me that was covered in tattoos and was wearing his medals. At the end of the movie that guy was not mentally in the theater, he was back in Normandy with all the friends he had that died. I thought the movie was increadibly powerful. For my top three War movies:

1. Private Ryan

2. 12 O'clock high

3. Longest Day

I was stationed in Ft Benning in 3rd Ranger Batt. at the time when the movie came out and my buddies and I went to see the movie and there were TONS of grown men crying like babies in the theater. The only other movie where I have seen anything like that was The Passion. At the end of Saving Private Ryan most of the current soldiers stood up and saluted the older vets. It was an incredible moment to say the least.

Quote:

I don't really see how anyone can call it slow paced either. In fact I would say that it's about as perfectly paced a movie as you can get. But you have weird criteria when it comes to judging movies.

Well, I just wasn't very interested outside of the action scenes. I haven't had the chance to see Platoon... Believe it or not, but I think it will be much more to my liking.

Well, I hate the ending, and some of the characters are stereotypes (the obnoxious New Yorker, the God fearing southerner), but that's to be expected from war pictures. I think it's a very good film, but not great. I think the miniseries "Band of Brothers" is better, but I didn't like the last couple of scenes of that either. A few other good ones: "The Great Escape", "The Dirty Dozen", "Apocalypse Now", "Bridge on the River Kwai". It's hard to make a good war picture, they're all kind of the same story.