BK on 790 @9:00 AM

koncak

His position is that the Harrington money was used

to sign Speedy & Lo. These are two players he belives the Hawks needed.

The skills that Al brings to the team are (or could be)replicated by

Josh and MW. His feeling is that the 3 can be handled by Josh S, MW and at times Josh C, The 4 can be played by SW and Josh S.

He reports that the first three games at the RMR reflected

Sheldon's early anxiety. He's still expecting him to step up and play serious minutes.

Finally, BK indicated that by substituting Speedy & Lo for Al, he still has about 8M that MIGHT be used later in the year to improve the team.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

In his mind, he traded Al+Edward for Speedy+Lo+Top10 protected (probably teen) 1st rounder.

He isn't totally wrong there.

Actually he is very wrong. They signed Speedy before the Al deal happened. And they could have signed Lo even if they resigned Al.

They traded Al for a pick and it was a crap deal.

Quote:

Quote:

In his mind, he traded Al+Edward for Speedy+Lo+Top10 protected (probably teen) 1st rounder.

He isn't totally wrong there.

Actually he is very wrong. They signed Speedy before the Al deal happened. And they could have signed Lo even if they resigned Al.

They traded Al for a pick and it was a crap deal.

According to his point of view, if we had Nene+Watson for Al, we couldn't have Speedy+Lo with that money. I am sure he thinks Lo+Speedy+Top10 protected 1st rounder is better than any other offer anytime, now or last season. Also, he thinks we have enough money to pick up someone if we need to later. I wonder who is available during the season?!?

Quote:

According to his point of view, if we had Nene+Watson for Al, we couldn't have Speedy+Lo with that money

Wrong. Even if the Hawks resigned Nene to that crazy deal Denver did (unlikely) they still could have signed Lo.

And if the Hawks signed Nene to a reasonable deal (much more likely) they could have signed Speedy. Actually they could have signed Speedy first and then signed Nene to whatever they wanted, since they had his Bird Rights.

Quote:

Quote:

According to his point of view, if we had Nene+Watson for Al, we couldn't have Speedy+Lo with that money

Wrong. Even if the Hawks resigned Nene to that crazy deal Denver did (unlikely) they still could have signed Lo.

And if the Hawks signed Nene to a reasonable deal (much more likely) they could have signed Speedy. Actually they could have signed Speedy first and then signed Nene to whatever they wanted, since they had his Bird Rights.

If Hawks had Nene they wouldn't have signed Lo anyway.

With Watson here we would have skipped Speedy as well.

Forget about Lo,Speedy and Watson.

I agree Nene would have signed a reasonable contract. So, in the long run it comes down to a teen 1st rounder for Nene(at a reasonable contract).

With Watson here and Nene signed to a reasonable contract the Hawks would still be under the cap and able to pursue another player.

Als situation had no relevance at all to Speedy or Lo. If the Hawks had resigned Al before July 1 they still could have signed Speedy and Lo, so BK's argument doesn't hold water.

It is quite possible and even likely that BK was told that he CANNOT add more salary to this years team than last years, or if so not much due to the ownership mess. If you think that had nothing to do with this or anything less than a major part of this deal then you are being very shortsighted Ex. The fact is that we got 2 solid contributors at great positions of need, while opening up time for the young players, and without adding any additional salary, plus got a draft pick back to replace the one we are losing in 07.

I don't see how ANYONE can complain about this deal considering our ownership mess. I honestly believe that BK did the best he could given the provisions likely placed on him by the owners.

Lastly, it kills me that people are crying about this deal considering that Al was a freaking unrestricted FA who in most cases teams lose for nothing. At least we got a draft pick and got out from under the contract of Edwards.

Quote:

With Watson here and Nene signed to a reasonable contract the Hawks would still be under the cap and able to pursue another player.

They still do. If the owners don't allow him to spend any more, then his point of view holds water.

Quote:

Als situation had no relevance at all to Speedy or Lo. If the Hawks had resigned Al before July 1 they still could have signed Speedy and Lo, so BK's argument doesn't hold water.

Again, they are thinking they are using Al's money to get Lo+Speedy. So, resigning is out of bounds. Player development & lack of defense aren't the only reasons we are letting Al go. I see an artificial salary cap there that's much lower than the league's.

Quote:

If you think that had nothing to do with this or anything less than a major part of this deal then you are being very shortsighted Ex.

obviously you didn't read the quote. He is trying to say that BK traded Al for Speedy/Lo/and a pick.

If Al walked for nothing the Hawks still could have signed Speedy and Lo. That is a fact.

The ownership situation certainly had a hand in the Hawks deciding to go with the Indy deal but trying to say BK traded Al for Speedy/Lo/pick is just spin pure and simple.

And any instructions BK got about adding payroll came AFTER the Hawks had already signed Speedy, which has been conveniently forgotten by many.

they are discussing this thing off and on right now.

They make a good point.

Marvin Williams, Josh Smith.... here is your opportunity. Seize it!

They also mentioned Josh Smith as a potential defensive player of the year candidate.

really? interesting.....

This is the point I was trying to make when some thought we should resign AL...what Al gave us we can get from Marv/Smith...throw in Speedy Lo Wright Shelden...and we are on course...ony thing is really no one can't predict just how good our youngsters will become....but we do see improvement.

Quote:

This is the point I was trying to make when some thought we should resign AL...what Al gave us we can get from Marv/Smith...throw in Speedy Lo Wright Shelden...and we are on course...ony thing is really no one can't predict just how good our youngsters will become....but we do see improvement.

i can't think of anyone that really wanted to keep Al. we were just having some animated discussions over what we thought we should get for him.