• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Favorite Hawks Stiff

Johnnybravo4

Everyone has one. The stiff that everyone thinks sucks but for some reason you latched onto him. You rooted for him. On the current team my favorite stiff is Este. I want him to play 30 minutes per game, I want him to coldcock Kobe in the lane. I love that dude.

Previously my favorite stiff was Hanno Mattola. He would always nail that 10 footer from the baseline. Don't know why he didn't get more playing time. Everytime he got into the game I would hum a play on that 70's Disco song..."Hanno Mattola...Lives on the road!"

Only really old people will get that.

If by stiff you mean a guy who isn't all that good, then currently it's easily batista. In recent years, Newble and Darvin Ham have been two of my favorites.

Darvin would crack me up because he only played 12 MPG, and yet he always had the highlight of the night with a big nasty reverse dunk along the baseline.

John Battle. I have no idea why I liked him. He seemed like a good player when he filled in for Doc off the bench, but anytime he started he was flat.

Craig Ehlo- another high energy guy that really didn't do much with the Hawks

On the current roster...Este of course, but I liked Gundy from last year as well.

A "stiff" or "big stiff" is generally a tall, unathletic, offensively-challenged player who owes his NBA career to simply being tall. Usually, they are white centers. I have never heard of a guard being called a "stiff".

Here is a short list of stiffs:

John Koncak

Jack Haley

Todd MacCulloch

Adonal Foyle

Greg Ostertag

John Edwards

Adam Keefe

Priest Lauderdale

Cal Bowdler

perhaps Batista, but I'm not so sure yet

Newble and Ham were both pretty athletic, they just couldn't shoot or handle the ball all that well, especially Ham. The notion that John Battle is a stiff (as someone posted below) is laughable.

Quote:

A "stiff" or "big stiff" is generally a tall, unathletic, offensively-challenged player who owes his NBA career to simply being tall. Usually, they are white centers. I have never heard of a guard being called a "stiff".

Here is a short list of stiffs:

John Koncak

Jack Haley

Todd MacCulloch

Adonal Foyle

Greg Ostertag

John Edwards

Adam Keefe

Priest Lauderdale

Cal Bowdler

perhaps Batista, but I'm not so sure yet

Newble and Ham were both pretty athletic, they just couldn't shoot or handle the ball all that well, especially Ham. The notion that John Battle is a stiff (as someone posted below) is laughable.

I kinda agree, although I think that stiff has evolved into an all purpose term encompassing the entire spectrum of scrubness.

Quote:

A "stiff" or "big stiff" is generally a tall, unathletic, offensively-challenged player who owes his NBA career to simply being tall. Usually, they are white centers. I have never heard of a guard being called a "stiff"...

Agreed CBA...now this guy wasn't a Hawk - but he is the epitome of a stiff to me (from espn.com):

1. Bryant "Big Country" Reeves, Grizzlies -

The massive but slow-moving 7-footer, whom Memphis signed to a six-year, $65-million deal that ran through 2004-05, averaged about 25 minutes and eight ppg. in 1999-2000 and '00-01, and was never much of a rebounder. He retired in late January, after not playing a single game that season due to injury.

To be a true stiff, the guy also has to take a franchise for a ton of money too (ala Kontract).

• Moderators

My favorite Hawk who didn't get a lot of minutes but I loved to see on the floor is probably Drew Barry. Like his brother, he had great passing skills and would throw his body around on the court while hustling like crazy. Thoroughly enjoyable sub to watch.

Quote:

That's why I clarified. Because I know to JB a stiff is a guy who can't ball. To me it's a tall guy who can't move well and is there for being tall. See John Edwards. But I knew that this was not what JB meant, he has his own definition of the word I suppose, and uses it a lot as we've discussed previously.

Quote:

Quote:

That's why I clarified. Because I know to JB a stiff is a guy who can't ball. To me it's a tall guy who can't move well and is there for being tall. See John Edwards. But I knew that this was not what JB meant, he has his own definition of the word I suppose, and uses it a lot as we've discussed previously.

Not true. If you look at the way I answered my own question I said Hanno Mattola...a tall guy. And I don't think I have ever used the word stiff to indicate anyone other than a big man. I have used stiff to describe

Chris Mihm

Jeff Foster

Magloire

John Edwards

Darko

Erick Dampier

But I am sure one of our crack research posters will reveal that I called Royal Ivey a stiff back in January or something like that.

• Moderators

For big stiffs, I guess my favorite was actually Koncak. After getting over my resentment of the contract, I thought he was an effective starting big who was never going to overcome the fact that he was overpaid by the Hawks.