• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What would be the recent all-wanna-be-a-hawk team

Guest Walter

Quote:

I've met both Pete Babcock and Kasten a number of times over the years and to call either of them a racist is a joke. Why the hell would we have hired Lenny if that was the case? Or have teams that were almost 100% black?

Get that weak [censored] out of here.

You may be right but Lenny ain't Black.

Well you dont have to burn a cross to be a racist. But Rick Mahorn said this and I cans ay he sure as hell knows more about the Hawks and their organization than any of us. Utah is the only team in the league that breaks its neck to field as many white players as possible.

I am not going to defend Rick Mahorns comments but taken in context I see his points.

We were talking in the barbaershop to him and he told us, I dont have the strength to transcribe the 2 hour conversation but, Mahorn said they weren't Klan racist, white power t-shirts, he said they were condescending racist "Hey, homie I'm down with you", "Talking shhh about black people....But your not that way Tom". What black people would consider racist, and most white people wouldn't

I have actually argued this in some articles I had published over the last 10 years. Its not that racism doesn't exist or that there aren't race related problems but to make it short " out of site out of mind" There probably werent many if any blacks where you grew up, so it seemed like a non issue. Example when I here whie women complain of discrimination I laugh and say its bullshhh, even though it very well may not be, but for me the struggles of a white woman are foriegn and dont enter my thought process. Which is why people can watch war and poverty but feel removed from it.

The fact that the majority of Hawks players have been black and your five least favorite players are all white pretty much points out where you are coming from.

Having worked and played ball with blacks for many years I probably know more about the race issue from a black perspective than other white people. Most black people understand that there are many different shades of gray between someone who is completely prejudice free and someone who is racist.

Some white people simply haven't known many blacks personally because there aren't many where they live. They may buy into stereotypes because they dont know any better but that just makes them ignorant, not racist.

Then there are varying degrees of prejudice, all of which i have seen up close, before you get to out and out racism.

The black guys i have known generally don't complain about it much until the subject turns to cops. Then the stories come flooding out. I have heard too many ugly stories from too many very straight black guys for me not to believe that there is a big problem there.

But for the most part they don't seem to be bothered that much except for maybe feeling their advancement opportunities (for upper management) may be limited by their color. Of course they might not share all their feelings about the issue with me but then again they haven't exactly been reluctant to share their cop stories.