• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Iverson Asks To Be Traded

DrReality

Quote:

Quote:

The Hawks would replace the Falcons as the #1 ticket. We'd easily win the East.

Are you out of your mind man? Win the east? Do you guys not remember that he didn't make the playoffs last year? Do you not see that with one more loss they have the worst record in the entire league. We've been over this before. Our management won't even consider this and he wouldn't help us win much at all. The last thing we need to help our youth develop is a ballhog.

You are assuming that his team mates here would be as bad as his team mates there.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I'm not. I'm not saying that we'd have the worst record just like they do. I'm saying that a "savior" type player that could take us from a shade under .500 to AUTOMATICALLY WINNING THE EAST would be a caliber of player who would not have missed the playoffs last year and currently be 1/2 game out of last place in the league.

My point is this isn't the AI who took a team of relative nobodies to the Eastern finals. It's an older AI who puts up huge individual stats but doesn't know how to help his team win. Not to mention his body could break down at any point

• Premium Member

Quote:

It's an older AI who puts up huge individual stats but doesn't know how to help his team win.

Okay, now this is just getting ridiculous. You could make these comments about Stephon Marbury, but they've NEVER been true of Iverson. He plays his butt off every night, and does whatever it takes to win.

I can understand people not wanting to trade one of the young guys, take on Iverson's contract, mess with chemistry, etc., but there's no truth to the above criticism.

Let me put it this way, if AI was just cut from the sixers before the season, I think they'd have about the same record. 5 wins in 17 games. 2 wins in their last 14 games. He's just not a guy that helps you win that much. He's as impressive 1-on-1 as any one else in the league, but it's not a 1-on-1 game.

I think that whoever gets him now will regret it much like the sixers regret getting webber. At the time, they were getting a HUGE name on paper for virtually nothing. Huge salary to go with. A guy still putting up very impressive stats but fading. CWebb was averaging 21/10/5/1 when they got him, but the Kings weren't really getting it done. Then the sixers get him, the town gets excited, but he doesn't mesh win. They don't win enough, his body starts to fade fast, and everybody wishes he was never acquired. I don't want us to make the same mistake.

Quote:

Okay, now this is just getting ridiculous. You could make these comments about Stephon Marbury, but they've NEVER been true of Iverson. He plays his butt off every night, and does whatever it takes to win.

I didn't say anything about his effort. He and KG probably put up the biggest effort up on a nightly basis. My statement wasn't about his effort, it's about results. He doesn't know how to make a team win anymore. The record speaks for itself. If AI were to stay in Philly this year, they would miss the playoffs (in the East) for the 3rd time in 4 years.

JJ last year wasn't anywhere nearly as good as he is this year. We also had a death going into training camp.

JJ last year was a young guy trying to find out if he could lead a team. No one was claiming that he was a top superstar in the league, and anybody who was would have clearly been wrong.

Ths 6ers are currently winning .294 of their games. Last season only NY and Portland achieved that. The year before that us, NY, and NO. Just orlando the year before that. Nothing even remotely approaching a superstar on any of those teams.

I understand that his team blows. My point is, while his numbers are amazing, he has not shown in recent history that he can really help a team win that much at all.

Quote:

JJ last year wasn't anywhere nearly as good as he is this year. We also had a death going into training camp.

JJ last year was a young guy trying to find out if he could lead a team. No one was claiming that he was a top superstar in the league, and anybody who was would have clearly been wrong.

Ths 6ers are currently winning .294 of their games. Last season only NY and Portland achieved that. The year before that us, NY, and NO. Just orlando the year before that. Nothing even remotely approaching a superstar on any of those teams.

I understand that his team blows. My point is, while his numbers are amazing, he has not shown in recent history that he can really help a team win that much at all.

Do you think if Wade/Nash/LeBron was there instead of Iverson, the sixers would have been much better?

Quote:

you reported some info from season ticket meetings last year. (i believe it was you)

tell us, has Billy Knight ever given any indication that he would be willing to move any of the young players he's accumulated over the past 3 years? BK likes tall players who can play multiple positions. AI just doesn't fit his philosophy IMO.

Quote:

A team like the Hawks should not trade for a player that has only a few years left. Ask yourself does Allen Iverson help us win the NBA title in the next 3-4 years. The answer to that is no we need more then just Allen Iverson to win the championship. This guy would take less shots away from Joe JOhnson and if the Sixers couldnt win this guy why the heck makes you think we will. We need a real PG whose young and can develop with our team not a guy with questionable character and his good years are behind him.

You know that didn't seem to hurt Miami any. Here was Miami, a playoff team with a young star in Wade, young role players in Caron Butler and Lamar Odom, with the future ahead of them.

Then a genuius of a GM said let trade it away for a chance at SHAQ. A Shaq that was getting long in the tooth. Worked out for them didn't it? They win a Championship, Are on TNT every week and their other star gets commercials on every channel. Shaq had chemistry problems too, and he cost 25 million against the cap.. But when you have a chance to get a hall of famer still in his prime then you PULL THE TRIGGER!!

Miami won the title and that is great. But their future with an injured and fat ass Shaq is dubious. Plus, guys like GP, Antoine Walker, and J-Will are past their best by a long shot. I vote the Sixers and the Heat as the two teams most likely to SUCK BAD in the next few years. And D-Wade knows it too because he signed a shorter deal so he could escape if he has to...I think the Heat lucked out winning it but they did so at least they have that going for them. They mortgaged their future to win a title. The bill is coming due and I'm sure they don't want to pay it.

Quote:

tell us, has Billy Knight ever given any indication that he would be willing to move any of the young players he's accumulated over the past 3 years? BK likes tall players who can play multiple positions. AI just doesn't fit his philosophy IMO.

I don't remember what he's said exactly but he's said that they get a lot of calls about pretty much all of our young guys. I don't think he ever explicitly said that he'd trade them, but he's a GM, he's in the business of trading and signing players. I'm sure if you asked him he'd say "If we find the right deal for us, we'll do it" or something to that effect.

• 2 years later...

If A.I was on the squad we'd sell out 100% of our home games. We'd sell out a saturday matinee game against the bobcats.

The Hawks would replace the Falcons as the #1 ticket. We'd easily win the East.

:lol6:

Does anyone still want Iverson? We won't even have to trade any of our core players now. We could probably pick him up off waivers soon. Anyone interested?

Edited by exodus

• Admin

Does anyone still want Iverson? We won't even have to trade any of our core players now. We could probably pick him up off waivers soon. Anyone interested?

I hope he never plays in the league again. He is just an ungrateful cancer to any locker room. He should not be starting and the way he is getting on is so immature.

• Premium Member

Why would this great team want that buster? Last time i checked this team is dang close to competing for championship. Let em go play for a team that is clearly beneath the Hawks like the Bobcats.