• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith is the X factor for our team

Sothron

• Premium Member

There is simply no other way to put it. That kid is killing me for real. When he's on like tonight he looks fantastic and he fills up the stat sheet with his all around contributions. Its games like tonight where he could be the most complete player in the league...until he has the next few games where he still looks like a 19 year old teenager fresh out of high school.

I would kill to see Smoove be anything close to consistent. And I mean consistent either bad or good. Because right when you think he's never going to get it...he gets it and has a great game. And then he just loses it until he next big game.

I don't know how much blame the coaching staff has to take for this but its quite obvious that as Smoove goes, the Hawks go. Joe Cool can't be our one man franchise. Marvin is just now back from injury. Chill is a decent starter/great backup role player. Zaza isn't the guy. Neither is Lue or Speedy. Its all on Smoove. If he can somehow become more steady and put up games like tonight against Memphis this team could be a really dangeous team at some point.

But the more he's not, the more its killing this thirty year old fan. He's like an enigma wrapped up in a riddle. That's why he's the X factor. I just want the "X" to stop here more often than not.

I missed the NYK game but saw or listened to the rest. JS did something tonight I've never seen him do - he finished at the basket without dunking! You can ask exodus about this. This is HUGE for him if he starts to get it down.

He made a straight running layup going hard to the hoop with his left hand and also made a running hook coming across the lane with his left. He also made a stick-back underneath without dunking.

Folks may think that this sounds stupid - it sounds easy - but it has been a big problem for him. Once he gets comfortable hitting around the basket he will be more interested in driving to the hole instead of taking a jumper (fingers crossed).

I just hope that the change in balls won't screw him up again - RRRRR - Stern!!! mad.gif

^I agree. It's weird, but Josh Smith is one of the best AND worst finishers around the basket in the league. Just depends on whether he's dunking or laying it up.

But lately he hasn't settled for as many jumpers, he's attacked the basket, and he's hit more jumpers when he takes them...and he hasn't turned it over in transition after getting rebounds as much. All of that has combined to make him a much better player lately after that huge funk he went through.

I think his consistency is a matter of time. He's improved just since the beginning of the year. It was about 4-6 weeks ago that everyone was screaming about his taking too many three's. And he's adjusted. I think he can only be as consistent as the players he has around him to provide consistency. He is just not mature enough yet. And given that we've had so many injuries, I think it's hurt him. He could be an all star one day?????

Quote:

But lately he hasn't settled for as many jumpers, he's attacked the basket, and he's hit more jumpers when he takes them...and he hasn't turned it over in transition after getting rebounds as much. All of that has combined to make him a much better player lately after that huge funk he went through.

I really think it might be about the comfort level he has when playing with Marvin. It's like they were meant to play together...

• Admin

it's not just Josh. You can't put the label of X factor on an inconsistent player whose loses focus and lacks what Josh lacks. Our X-factor is having ANYONE on this roster besides Joe and T.lue who can give some consistency.

You can't be serious in questioning the coaching staff in regards to Smooth's inconsistencies? Why do you think Jay Bilas said what he said about smooth before the draft? He questioned his work ethic, his dedication/focus and his ability to get the skills he lacked. All the same things we see from him game after game.

I agree though, if Josh could become consistent he would make a HUGE difference because we desperately need consistency.

Quote:

He made a straight running layup going hard to the hoop with his left hand and also made a running hook coming across the lane with his left. He also made a stick-back underneath without dunking.

Against LA he had this one move where he started on the left side of the court, drove in with his right hand and hit that same running half hook with his RIGHT hand. I was like WTF.

Having said that i would like to see him looking to dunk more often, like he did his rookie year. Too often he goes up soft and ends up missing. I want to see him posterize guys when he gets the chance.

I agree that you never know what you are going to get from JSmoove and he can either have a very positive or negative impact on the team.

But you have to admit recently he has been a little more consistent. In these last few games, more often than not he's been showing up to play. I think we're all looking forward to the day when Smoove comes to play night in and night out, but for now Im happy that he's showing at least some signs of consistency.

Keep attacking the rim young fella!