• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

SportCenter makes Hawks look worse than they are.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I know we lost badly last night, but if you watch just the Sportscenter highlights, you would think that we shouldn't be in the league.

Last night, in the third, I thought we were about to mount the comeback. Defensively, we had put it together. We even put a few points in like Chillz rumbling, stumbling, bumbling, slowest drive in the world... Still, the SportCenter gang did a good job of accentuating the airballs... I'm sure at one point during the third, we held them to 21% shooting and it looked like it. We got the game to within 8 points.

The problem is that our 2nd and 4th scorer on this team are sitting on the bench and we really needed them.

I think this stretch shows us how much we miss Ty Lue. We can complain about him pounding the ball too much, but the fact remains that he's really the only other guy, besides JJ, who can isolate and create his own shot.

I actually prefer my seats up in Sec. 317 over something closer, because I believe they give me a better look at the action. I can look down and watch things develop. I've spent the season trying to figure out what our offensive set is, and I'm stumped.

There's a lot of pick-and-roll action, Zaza in the post, and isolation with JJ. None of that is really a "set" to me.

The only real play I ever see us run is where Zaza (or Shelden, etc.) receives the ball at the elbow extended. JJ (or Lue, Speedy, etc.) cuts down the lane, gets a screen at the block, then curls around Z for a handoff. I guess the idea is to get an open shot at the FT line, but it's too easy for the opposing big man to show high and force JJ far outside the 3PT line. There's a look for the screener at the block (Chill, Marvin, etc.) to get a jumper on the baseline off this, but it rarely opens up.

(I realize that was kind of wordy. I need a telestrator...)

• Premium Member

Quote:

I know we lost badly last night, but if you watch just the Sportscenter highlights, you would think that we shouldn't be in the league.

Last night, in the third, I thought we were about to mount the comeback. Defensively, we had put it together. We even put a few points in like Chillz rumbling, stumbling, bumbling, slowest drive in the world... Still, the SportCenter gang did a good job of accentuating the airballs... I'm sure at one point during the third, we held them to 21% shooting and it looked like it. We got the game to within 8 points.

The problem is that our 2nd and 4th scorer on this team are sitting on the bench and we really needed them.

I thought Marvin was our 2nd scorer. grin.gif But seriously, I don't think that it's possible for SportsCenter to make us look any worse than we already are. This organization is a mess at the top and the product on the floor is an indication of that. The product on the floor, from the coach to the last player on the bench, is the manifestation of BK's plan or "vision" with the endorsement of the AS. It's obvious that this thing isn't working. You could come up with valid arguments AGAINST anything BK's done in the last few years, from his draft night decisions to him dumping every single player from the previous regime for next to nothing. Maybe all of the bad press and losing needs to happen right now so that people can finally wise up and face reality. Eveyone can't be wrong about us. This organization is terrible and is in need of a serious overhaul. Sorry for the rant frown.gif

• Premium Member

I watched Wade and Miami devastate the Lakers with a screen and roll...

It doesn't take a whole lot to be a set.

Lue does pound the ball into oblivion and that's not a good thing. Lue can shoot. That's why I would like Lue on the floor. Hell, JSmoove can shoot alittle but is getting better at putting the ball on the floor and making something happen.

However, when you give Speedy all the weapons we have, I think we'll be a better team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Injuries or not, we look like we're in a different league. It's not a slump - we're simply not good.

Thankyou. Sometimes you can be competitive despite your gross shortcomings, and I think the Hawks were just that. I don't know if we have ever had an offensive set since Woody took over. All I remember was Woody saying something about focusing on defense first and that the offense would, "take care of itself". That's not a good plan for a young team that doesn't seem to have much chemistry on the court, and it shows. When you look at the games, you see guys standing around(except Chill or JJ) not exactly knowing what to do. Where are the picks? Where are the back cuts? Where's the pick and roll with Pachulia or Shelden? They both have decent midrange jumpers. We know Salim can score, why not give him some picks or screens and make it easier for him to do what he does best? Why not do the same for JJ? In fact, why not make it easier for all of the players to do what they do best? Why isn't Solomon or Batista on the floor when we need rebounding or interior D? It looks like the players/team aren't being put in a position to succeed. They don't even look like they enjoy the game right now. Any journalist or reporter who watched the last few games or even took a "snapshot" would probably come away asking those same questions and with the opinion that we are a terrible team. Personally, I don't blame them anymore. I'm not a coach or a great basketball mind by any stretch of the imagination, but even I can see that this team is not on the same level as the competition, and that's unfortunate. confused.gif