• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dominic James with Ind pick?

hawkman

• Premium Member

I hear a lot of talk about bigs in this draft but no one talks about our other position of need, PG. Assuming Phoenix gets our lottery pick, how about Dominic James as the 18th(?). I haven't seen a lot of him yet, but from what I've read he's just what we're looking for. He's a little on the small side but makes up for it with his athleticism. He's also an agressive defender with 2.1 stls per. I'm looking forward to seeing a Marquette game this season to see this guy for myself. If we only get Indy's pick this offseason, I see no reason to pick a big just for the sake of picking up a big. We don't need another big stiff on this team. Why not fill a need AND get a quality player? I think Dominic James can be that guy.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Why not fill a need AND get a quality player? I think Dominic James can be that guy.

Quite simply the Pg position this year is not stellar. I believe all the late 1st rders from last year are better than the Pgs this year. Still not against strongly considering a pg at 18.

A franchise center and a Pg prospect would be wonderful additions. For once needs potentially adequately filled or even in the case of center, exceeded.

W

Quote:

It would be great if we end up with 1-3 and Indy's pick. That way we could get both Oden/Thabeet and Steele/James. I think both additions would be able to contribute right away on this team.

it would be even better if this JJ trade panned out like it would in Billy's head when he only gave PHX top 3 protection this year.

PHX gets the 11th pick and we get Indy's pick at 15 after they stink it up late in the year.

Guest Walter

Quote:

it would be even better if this JJ trade panned out like it would in Billy's head when he only gave PHX top 3 protection this year.

PHX gets the 11th pick and we get Indy's pick at 15 after they stink it up late in the year.

I'm not sure it wouldn't be better to not have a good chance at a top 3 pick in this draft, but regardless, BK only has himself to blame for not protecting the pick well enough given he had just drafted a total long-term project in MW. Long-term project 1st then refuse to protect the pick for the short-term. Just not smart.

I want a legit chance at a top 3 pick, period! This team's not a bust, but the season is. A franchise-center could change this year's team's fortunes next year and for the next 10 years more than any single move available to us given this ownership fiasco.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

This kid is a true pg, but he's small. Not sure that is such a big deal if he plays next to JJ. Chances are that there will be a few pg's that emerge as March rolls around. That's when the cream rises to the top.

True, it's probably best to wait until tournament time. Since that whole Chris Paul debacle, I truly believe that the height thing is a little overrated. At the end of the day, it all about whether you can play the game. Sometimes the skills you bring to the table can offset any deficiency in size or height.

Guest Walter

I want good seats to see the collison between BK refusing to draft a Pg and his refusing not to draft a 6'8" player. The impact might result in a new universe. Call it "The Billy-way Galaxy".

W

• Moderators

Quote:

I want good seats to see the collison between BK refusing to draft a Pg and his refusing not to draft a 6'8" player. The impact might result in a new universe. Call it "The Billy-way Galaxy".

W

In fairness, Billy would have been all over Shaun Livingston like white on rice if we would have had the chance to draft him, IMO.

Guest Walter

Quote:

In fairness, Billy would have been all over Shaun Livingston like white on rice if we would have had the chance to draft him, IMO.

Yes. The closest thing to a 6'8" Pg in awhile was Livingston. How long do we have to wait for that same comet to come back around again. 75-76 years?

W

• Premium Member

Maybe it's time that we look for players who can play this game instead of 6'8" guys with long arms. In all this 6'8" player stuff going on, BK forgot that the best players bring intangibles to the table. That's why a guy like Steve Nash is the MVP. It's definitely not because of his athleticism or a size advantage over other guards. He can play the game, and that's all that matters. Maybe that's why BK's so bad when it comes to finding PG's, he doesn't understand the intagibles that a good PG brings to the table. He insists on putting a "player" at that position to bring the ball up and pass it to the open man. That's not a real PG. Nash, Deron, Kidd, Paul, and heck even AI are PG's. Speedy's cool and all but I really expected more from him at this point. This team still needs a real PG to grow with this team. We desperately need a coach on the floor right now. I can't stress that enough.

• Moderators

Quote:

Maybe it's time that we look for players who can play this game instead of 6'8" guys with long arms. In all this 6'8" player stuff going on, BK forgot that the best players bring intangibles to the table. That's why a guy like Steve Nash is the MVP. It's definitely not because of his athleticism or a size advantage over other guards. He can play the game, and that's all that matters. Maybe that's why BK's so bad when it comes to finding PG's, he doesn't understand the intagibles that a good PG brings to the table. He insists on putting a "player" at that position to bring the ball up and pass it to the open man. That's not a real PG. Nash, Deron, Kidd, Paul, and heck even AI are PG's. Speedy's cool and all but I really expected more from him at this point. This team still needs a real PG to grow with this team. We desperately need a coach on the floor right now. I can't stress that enough.

Despite being 6'8'', I think the intangible and basketball IQ items were the biggest reason we drafted Shelden Williams.

• Premium Member

That may be true. He does bring a certain "credibility" to the front line. Honestly, I really wanted Foye, and I'll stick to my guns on that one. I don't understand why we had to fax our decision to every GM picking in the lottery weeks before the draft, but I do understand the Shelden pick itself. BK thought we were a few players away, and that Shelden was one of those players. I still question where we were supposed to play him. Did we draft him specifically to come off of the bench? Anyway, I think we should take a serious look at D. James this offseason. Because if there is any place where intangibles matter most, it's at PG.