• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What the Road Ahead should be.

Diesel

• Premium Member

This is realistically what we should do:

1. Make no changes at HC or GM until after the Court case is settled.

If we lose, we'll all be upset, but changing coaches midseason is bad news. Moreover, picking up a lame duck coach is not good for consistency either. NOW, if you decide that BK should go before the next draft... OK. However, I wouldn't waste anybody's time and give the organization a bad reputation, and waste the ownership money until the case is settled either way.

2. Let Royal play more.

Sure Woody has this 10 minute thing down to a science. However, if you let Royal play 14-20 mpg and let JChillz play the rest, you can develop 2 players. With Speedy's contract, I really don't think we have plans on resigning IVey anyway, why not increase his trade value but letting him play more.

3. Let Chillz run some point

I consider the position a fad, but what about having a Point forward. Good things happen when we run and good things happen when Chillz is on the floor. While Lue and Speedy are out, we should be seeing more of CHillz at the PG.

4. Play Solomon Jones.

Why look for a defensive stopper, when we have 2 in Shelden and Solomon. I must admit, Shelden has made some bonehead mistakes in the past couple of games and looks like he's frustrated by the refs, but more time for him and Solomon can't hurt.

5. Continue to build a reputation of a respectable franchise

Reputations go a long way. IF we build a reputation of a team that mistreats it's own players, we will never get new players to want to come. FAs win championships, let's make our team better at every level and the FAs will come. BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME.

I agree. Although I might fire Woody and promote Herb for the rest of the year.

Royal can play in a system. We just don't have one.

P.S. #5 only happens if we have a winning season. It all starts from there. You can't have a winning season when you have a coach that loses 14 of 16. I think we could have been around 40 wins last year and this team could have won 45. We have to have the right guy. You alluded to another option in the Sekou thread. I don't have the league pass, so I don't watch Doc that often. They definitely ran some plays on us. That was refreshing. If you look at the lineups, we should have won by about 10-15. He kept them in the game. I fear it might be too cute to get Doc. However, he may be willing. Which means a lot for the Hawks. I think Fratello would be a better choice. There are many parallels between the Hawks he inherited in the 80's and these Hawks.

• Premium Member

Quote:

how can royal ivey need more minutes but salim is not even on the list at all for what the road ahead should be

Number 1 because Salim gets the ball and shoots while there is 23.5 seconds on the 24 second clock.

There are elements to Salim's game that I like, however, I don't think he's a PG. I think he does better as an OG when JJ is out of the game and Chillz is running PG. So there's room for Salim, I just think Salim needs to grow in his understanding of the game or his respect for his teammates game before I consider him being a PG for any long period of time.

About Royal... This is our best ball handler. JJ is turnover prone, JC is turnover prone, JS is turnover prone, Salim is turnover prone...

But Somehow, when Royal is in the game, he rarely turns it over. I was watching them play Friday night... and against Pressure, Royal is so smoove with the ball.. and he takes good shots. The only problem I have with Royal is that he's not fast. I would really love to get one of those speedy Gaurds from Boston (Rondo or Telfair or West) or a vet speedster like Damon Stoudamire (although he can't shoot)... however, until Speedy and Lue comes back, I'll be happy with Ivey, Chillz.

• Premium Member

If you haven't noticed, the team doesn't quit on Woody and I think Firing woody just to promote Herb won't get us very far. Who knows if Herb would even take the job?? I mean, he left his brother to work with Woody... there's some loyalty there.

Just keep Woody and let him figure it out.

• Premium Member

#5. Continue to build a reputation of a respectable franchise

Quote:

P.S. #5 only happens if we have a winning season. It all starts from there.

If there were ever any less true words... Respectable franchises happen in the GMs office and not on the playing court. We had 50 win seasons while Lenny was coaching. Several 50 wins seasons.. and nobody wanted to come to Atlanta. We were not a respectable franchise. The outcome of the Dominique trade were this... We could not get FAs...

You become a respectable franchise by having classy ownership.

Even when Phoenix sucked, they were still the most respected franchise in the game. Even while the Bulls were winning 72 games per year, nobody liked their front office... Talk to BK Armstrong, notice how the fallout of Chicago happened. IF you were to take a poll on Krause, he would go down as the worse GM in history among players.

• Admin

I completly agree. Ivey should be playing more then just the start of the game and the start of the second half. I would like to see him get Salim's minutes and see what he can do with them. We have plenty of scorers already but we don't have defensive pgs that can distribute right now.

He has played really well in the time he has been given while Salim has not. I would like to see what Ivey can do with some extended minutes.

We would all like to have classy ownership. If you haven't noticed the ASG is anything but. More like Chuck-E-Cheese.

I was talking about a culture of winning from the court. Obviously the right ownership brings in the right players.

What are you saying about the Bulls? I think they were just fine. laugh.gif They always got the guys they wanted for the system. Rodman, Kukoc, Wennington, Kerr, Harper, Dele, etc.

I think Deke counts! He is only like a top 15 center ever.

Quote:

We would all like to have classy ownership. If you haven't noticed the ASG is anything but. More like Chuck-E-Cheese.

Good analogy. I also often think of the ownership as a Benny Hill comedy, complete with Wacky Sax and fast-motion chase scenes.

i have yet seen ivey actually run the show like a point gaurd should do. i agree he is very good at not turning the ball over and thats great but can we get some assist. i have yet to see him run a fast break and finish it of by making a good pass to the wing to complete the fast break. we are suppose to be a running team and i dont royal ivey will be significant contribution to us being a running team. matter of fact the oly time we seem to be a running team is if we dont have any of our real point gaurds on the court. it actually a pretty weird situation;

Quote:

Quote:

Good analogy. I also often think of the ownership as a Benny Hill comedy, complete with Wacky Sax and fast-motion chase scenes.

Are you kidding me?

Chuck-E-Cheese gets more people on weekends than Hawks do. Have you been to one lately?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you kidding me?

Chuck-E-Cheese gets more people on weekends than Hawks do. Have you been to one lately?

grin.gif

Quote:

If we lose, we'll all be upset, but changing coaches midseason is bad news. Moreover, picking up a lame duck coach is not good for consistency either. NOW, if you decide that BK should go before the next draft... OK. However, I wouldn't waste anybody's time and give the organization a bad reputation, and waste the ownership money until the case is settled either way.

Sounds reasonable. However, what does that mean? Do we have any real lawyers on the board who can tell us the best and worst cases for when this could be resolved (assuming they don't settle)?

If we are talking up to 5 years - let's all go home, it's over. If it is two-three years, we'll be losing our young guys before we can start fixing the problem. If this is REALLY a barrier to getting anything done (and it sounds like it is), we are scr@wed. Sounds like the only possible strategy for improving would be to tank if we can't spend money to improve.

Where is Stern? Why isn't he involved? or is he content with letting another small market town (ie, not NY, LA, or Chicago) get screwed and pissed off at the NBA? - - It's interesting at how ownership is turning off people in so many cities, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, ???

Sorry for venting. It's just so frustrating.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds reasonable. However, what does that mean? Do we have any real lawyers on the board who can tell us the best and worst cases for when this could be resolved (assuming they don't settle)?

If we are talking up to 5 years - let's all go home, it's over. If it is two-three years, we'll be losing our young guys before we can start fixing the problem. If this is REALLY a barrier to getting anything done (and it sounds like it is), we are scr@wed. Sounds like the only possible strategy for improving would be to tank if we can't spend money to improve.

Where is Stern? Why isn't he involved? or is he content with letting another small market town (ie, not NY, LA, or Chicago) get screwed and pissed off at the NBA? - - It's interesting at how ownership is turning off people in so many cities, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, ???

Sorry for venting. It's just so frustrating.

I'll offer my $.02 as a member of the Georgia Bar. The appeal could take several years. If the ASG wins the appeal with the Court of Appeals (where it is now), Belkin can appeal it to the Maryland Supreme Court which has discretion whether to take the case or turn it down. The ASG has the same option if Belkin wins with the Court of Appeals. The stay keeping the ASG in charge will remain in place for as long as the case is on appeal. The two sides can negotiate a buyout at any time, but if there is no settlement or buyout there will be one of two outcomes:

(1) Belkin buys the team at cost;

(2) The ASG buys the team.

If the ASG wins, they will probably be placed back into the buyout process envisioned under the contract - perhaps with the right to pick the second appraiser. When that appraisal is completed, Belkin would have the right to object to it and the NBA could select a third appraiser and the value of the franchise and buyout would be determined after that appraisal was completed. This process should take a matter of months before it is finalized.

It would not be shocking to see the case around in 3+ years if there is no settlement but the most likely result is some form of resoltution in the next two years. However, a final resolution is not anywhere on the horizon at this point.

Quote:

I'll offer my $.02 as a member of the Georgia Bar. The appeal could take several years...Belkin can appeal it to the Maryland Supreme Court which has discretion whether to take the case or turn it down. The ASG has the same option if Belkin wins with the Court of Appeals.

What's the chance that this could go to the US supreme court? Or rather could this conceivably go to the supreme court of the Unites States of America?

Quote:

It would not be shocking to see the case around in 3+ years if there is no settlement but the most likely result is some form of resoltution in the next two years. However, a final resolution is not anywhere on the horizon at this point.

Think about it. 3 potential years without significant spending upgrades. Should the 4 year contract limit persist, and it seems quite possible that should Belkin win and ASG appeal that an extention of the contract restrictions could remain or a similar injunction could be put in place, WE CANNOT EXPECT TO RESIGN ANY OF OUR YOUNG FAs (assuming any of our young players would want to rejoin this mess or current ownership would even spend what they are likely to command) as they will certainly command more than 4 years.

That's one of the primary reasons I am in favor of tanking. We can't control how this ownership thing goes, whether ownership will spend to maintain their own young talent much less improve...but if initiated early and effectively enough one can all but control their own tanking destiny.

Anyhow, I see this getting much worse before it gets better and this franchise needs a top 3 pick if only to be a source of divine light amidst the dark ownership clouds that are ahead.

W

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I'll offer my $.02 as a member of the Georgia Bar. The appeal could take several years...Belkin can appeal it to the Maryland Supreme Court which has discretion whether to take the case or turn it down. The ASG has the same option if Belkin wins with the Court of Appeals.

What's the chance that this could go to the US supreme court? Or rather could this conceivably go to the supreme court of the Unites States of America?

Quote:

Chances are very low that the US Supreme Court would accept certification of a case primarily involving contract interpretation of Maryland law. The ASG or Belkin would have to come up with a creative argument to raise an issue the US SC would consider. I would put the chance as very low.

Quote:

[/indent]

Think about it. 3 potential years without significant spending upgrades. Should the 4 year contract limit persist, and it seems quite possible that should Belkin win and ASG appeal that an extention of the contract restrictions could remain or a similar injunction could be put in place,
WE CANNOT EXPECT TO RESIGN ANY OF OUR YOUNG FAs
(assuming any of our young players would want to rejoin this mess or current ownership would even spend what they are likely to command) as they will certainly command more than 4 years.

That's one of the primary reasons I am in favor of tanking. We can't control how this ownership thing goes, whether ownership will spend to maintain their own young talent much less improve...but if initiated early and effectively enough one can all but control their own tanking destiny.

Anyhow, I see this getting much worse before it gets better and this franchise needs a top 3 pick if only to be a source of divine light amidst the dark ownership clouds that are ahead.

W

[/indent]

I understand where you are coming from. I hate what Belkin's powerplay has done to this team.

Quote:

I understand where you are coming from. I hate what Belkin's powerplay has done to this team.

...JC and JS? Neither are going to settle for a 4 year deal (or less). If this continues as we should expect (as it seems neither party is going to walk away and more courts are laid out in front of this process), we'll either not resign JC and/or JS O-R we'll trade away valuable players in order to afford them without increasing the team's cost in terms of salary. Could we trade ZaZa, maybe even JJ to afford the likes of these players, do we try an pull off almost impossible and generally losing trades of JC and JS where we don't take back any salary like we did for Al, or do they walk?

I can't see any definate means past the 4 year restriction and it's about to cripple us. Please, a top 3 pick so this franchise has a ray of sunshine!

W

• Admin

I don't see Salim doing it either. Actually I see Salim getting to the 3 point line and throwing it towards the basket. You don't see Ivey doing it because Woody hauls him out of the game after 5 minutes in the first quarter and then after 5 minutes into the third quarter. The funny thing is that there is no reason to haul him out. The last two games, Ivey was hitting his shots, not trying to do too much and playing good d.