• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sheldon's shoulder injury ?

coachx

Quote:

Anyway, I wanted Roy/Millsap. Millsap and Shelden are pretty much the same, plus you get a star guard to go with him. I thought it was a no-brainer, but most people told me I was wrong on both picks.

Gosh, why would you want those guys. What an idiot! Sure hope no one ever takes your arm chair GM-ing seriously.

Quote:

sheldon runs the court, plays low post defense, and stops most players that try to bully in the lane. the only players that had their way with him were howard, jefferson, okafor and bosh and they have their way with everybody. last year before he got here jameer nelson was getting layup drills on us. this year he doesn't get past 15 pts in any game. the only PG to have his way was TJ ford and calderon and that was when speedy and lue were both just getting back from injuries and were unable to slow them down before sheldon could get a chance at getting in the lane. to say that sheldon doesn't help in terms of being a defensive threat is absurd and would get shot down immediately if you talked to anyone close to the NBA. just because he doesn't send balls to the fifth row like josh smith doesn't mean he doesn't play defense.

Even if he does all those things you say, he still was a bad pick because he can only do those things as a 15 minute per game back-up since one of the other first round draft picks in in front of him on the depth chart.

Seriously, do you sit Smoove to give Sheldon minutes? Can you play an undersized power forward (Smoove) and an undersized center (Sheldon) at the same time for any extended period of time? If so, why have they not done so this year given how badly Zaza and Lo have played? I am not trying to flame, just looking for anwers.

Quote:

Can you play an undersized power forward (Smoove) and an undersized center (Sheldon) at the same time for any extended period of time? If so, why have they not done so this year given how badly Zaza and Lo have played?

Actually they did. See the victories against Denver and Detroit. Lo didn't play the entire 4th quarter against Denver when we made the big comeback and Zaza was out the entire game. Zaza was also out when we beat Detroit.

I don't think it is a good idea long term but the reality is that Smith/Shelden at the 4/5 has been very effective.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Can you play an undersized power forward (Smoove) and an undersized center (Sheldon) at the same time for any extended period of time? If so, why have they not done so this year given how badly Zaza and Lo have played?

Actually they did. See the victories against Denver and Detroit. Lo didn't play the entire 4th quarter against Denver when we made the big comeback and Zaza was out the entire game. Zaza was also out when we beat Detroit.

I don't think it is a good idea long term but the reality is that Smith/Shelden at the 4/5 has been very effective.

I will be very dissappointed if we don't play Shelden some real minutes at the C position. I don't think the pick makes sense unless you consider him a PF/C.

Quote:

He's the fastest marginalized top 5 pick in the history of sports including Kijana Carter. Well maybe not quite that marginalized. He didn't suffer so many injuries...but you get the point.

He didn't sublux or dislocate his shoulder, no labral tear or RC tear or else he would have missed serious time. He just strained/sprained it at worst. If he is so close to being awful that a strain/sprain 2.5 months ago has him playing god awful, then he's worse than I thought.

SW will never be a bust because nobody thought he'd be any good anyhow. He's just appearing like a lesser, lesser, lesser ROLE PLAYER!

W

wow, all that in half a season. you should apply for a job working as a scout in the NBA.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I will be very dissappointed if we don't play Shelden some real minutes at the C position. I don't think the pick makes sense unless you consider him a PF/C.

Given how bad Zaza/Lo have been i don't understand why Shelden hasn't played at C more. He can't play much worse than they have.

i never said he was a bad pick (i wanted roy even though you could say that that would have been a bad pick based on the fact that he was a SG) but that doesn't make him a bad player. to me a bad pick is a pick that doesn't even help your team (toronto-hoffa) this was a pick to help with certain weaknesses we had and to an extent they have (no more layup lines for point guards). sure he doesn't put up statistics like other rookies (even though he leads them all in rebounds) that doesn't make him a bad pick. if i were the GM and i had to decide i prob would have picked up sheldon williams too. even though i loved brandon roy even before the draft, i would have realized that he wouldn't have helped with our interior defense and would ultimately be a bad pick (think of it this way, if our defense is this bad with sheldon helping out, what would it have been if he wasn't there!

If it is effective why doesn't Woodson utilize this line-up more often? I may not agree with the decision to draft Sheldon but I do realize he is better then the other centers currently on the roster - or at least could be better based on his college career.

I would really like someone within the Hawks organization to explain the value of giving minutes to two mediocre (at best) players over the teams lottery pick, a guy who was deemed the most ready NBA prospect in the draft.

Quote:

How many examples do you need to admit that you are incapable of objective rational thinking?

...to think that .5 BPG in 20+ minutes is horrendous for the most NBA-ready defensive role player?!? Call me crazy then. I expect more out of a 5th pick than that.

You on the other hand? What more do you have to say than a personal attack? Nothing I bet.

W

Quote:

defense is more than blocks and steals.

Yeah, you're right. SW is too short, short armed, and unathletic to even change a shot, much less block it. Really, this type of excuse is reserved for the already "bust" player. Top 5 picks ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE POSITIONAL DEFENDER ROLE PLAYERS!

W

Quote:

wow, all that in half a season. you should apply for a job working as a scout in the NBA.

I KNOW you won't actually defend SW. You might come back with "he's a rookie...". Personal attacks suggest only you have no argument.

W

Come on Walter, Shelden measured out about as expected, which I agree is actually kinda short for PF, much less the center some were saying he'd be. But you keep misusing the stats. The first stat that came out was his wingspan, which was huge, I dont remember but it was definitely over 7 ft, I remember tons of optimistic posts. Vertical reach came out next, that's where Shelden sucks, I seem to remember that even Adam Morrison had a better vertical reach than Shelden.

Quote:

Come on Walter, Shelden measured out about as expected, which I agree is actually kinda short for PF, much less the center some were saying he'd be. But you keep misusing the stats. The first stat that came out was his wingspan, which was huge, I dont remember but it was definitely over 7 ft, I remember tons of optimistic posts. Vertical reach came out next, that's where Shelden sucks, I seem to remember that even Adam Morrison had a better vertical reach than Shelden.

His standing reach was terrible. You can't expect a short, unathletic Pf with no standing reach to start blocking people sideways. Reach is by far more important than wingspan in a post player. On the perimeter I might take wingspan, but if I can only choose one, not in a short "shot blocker".

.5 BPG is telling.

W

Lol, Cool, at least you got my point well enough to use standing reach in your post instead of continuing to say short arms. Otherwise, I agree with you on Shelden, he's been a defensive disappointment for me. For that matter all our bigs have horrible block stats. I thought maybe ZaZa would learn a little defense or maybe last year he was trying to save his fouls since he had no backup, but if anything his defense is worse this year.

Quote:

Hey Walter do you think that Shelden can average at least a block per game in 30 mpg. But minutes have to be consistent...What do you think? I think he can.

I seriously doubt SW will block more than 1 BPG given 30 MPG for any year of his career. Why? I don't think he will often get 30 MPG for his career given how much of an offensive liability he is and how little impact he has on the game defensively as he not only doesn't block shots, he doesn't change them. Look at Lo Wright's career. He played 30 MPG once in his career and had 1.3 BPG that year. Since then he's never blocked 1 BPG. For his career .8 BPG. Lo even had a better rookie season despite entering the NBA early and not being as NBA ready suggesting he may demonstrate a high ceiling for SW.

Regardless, 1 BPG is not worth a 5th overall pick, EVER.

W

Quote:

Quote:

i always thought playing shelden at 5 and josh smith at 4 was plan until we find a better center. why we didn't do it consistanly, or if any. i don't know. all i know is we need a coach. before that, we shouldn't really be judging seriously.