• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best Westerns...

Diesel

You never saw it? Go rent it a.s.a.p. It was Tommy Lee Jones as the guy you think is Kenny Rogers. It also had Robert Duvall in an exceptional performance. Danny Glover, and a lot of people I can't think of right now. Anjelica Houston as well.

Did you see the movie that former rocker Nick Cave made with Guy Pierce? It's supposed to be a great Spaghetti Western set in Australia and a true story as well. I haven't seen it.

Quote:

is Lonesome Dove.

One time that the movie/miniseries actually lived up to the book.

Agree 100% cap...I also read the book then watched the series.

"Little Big Man" was technically a western grin.gif

and of course, honorable mention: "The Sons of Katie Elder", "True Grit", "Rooster Cogburn", and anything with Lee Marvin in it!

Quote:

I was just looking at somebody's movies and it made me think of all the westerns I have seen.. I'm a western fan...

Top 3 best Westerns..

The only ones on this list I care for is:

Unforgiven

Fist Full of Dollars

Pale Rider

Tombstone

High Plains Drifter

Outlaw Josey

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Young Guns

Don't care for John Wayne. He's not really a good actor and plays the goodie good guy too much. I prefer High Plains Drifter over his big hero stuff.

Wyatt Earp was horrible.... As is Kevin Costner.

Quote:

You never saw it? Go rent it a.s.a.p. It was Tommy Lee Jones as the guy you think is Kenny Rogers. It also had Robert Duvall in an exceptional performance. Danny Glover, and a lot of people I can't think of right now. Anjelica Houston as well.

Did you see the movie that former rocker Nick Cave made with Guy Pierce? It's supposed to be a great Spaghetti Western set in Australia and a true story as well. I haven't seen it.

I've seen The Proposition and it's pretty good. Silverado is pretty decent... But kind of a slick western.

Johnny Guitar is pretty good.

• Admin

No, Kenny Rogers did the gambler. Lonesome Dove is based on a Pulitzer prize winning novel by Larry McMurtry (one of my favorite books).

It stars Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Chris Cooper, Diane Lane, Rick Schröder, Danny Glover and Robert Urich.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096639/

If you are into westerns then this is the miniseries to get. Read the novel too. Awesome.

Its about 2 retired Texas rangers who decide to be the first people to drive cattle up to Montana and start a ranch there. Amazing story and acting.

Trust me you will not be disappointed. Probably the best tv mini series ever made. It is out on dvd. Stay away from the sequals (Return to Lonesome dove). It doesn't measure up and it is not written by McMurtry.

There is however this spring going to be a mini series called commanche moon that is a prequel book. thumb3d.gif

• Admin

too hard to just pick 3!

Unforgiven should be on everyones list and could realistically be the best "western" ever. It's a classic western with modern day production, nearly perfect in every way.

apart from Unforgiven you really have to differentiate classic westerns from the modern day westerns though. While both can be good, they're just different types of movies.

Quote:

too hard to just pick 3!

Unforgiven should be on everyones list and could realistically be the best "western" ever. It's a classic western with modern day production, nearly perfect in every way.

apart from Unforgiven you really have to differentiate classic westerns from the modern day westerns though. While both can be good, they're just different types of movies.

I just don't care for alot of the really old westerns. There is exceptions. I've come to appericate the genre more over the last few years. 3:10 to Yuma is pretty good. The cat and mouse game between Van Heflin and Glenn Ford is a must see in that one.

A good show is The Rifleman. Chuck Conners is a less superhuman Matt Dillion and actually holds the show up with next to nothing in the way of an effective cast. Paul Fix is mediocre as the local marshall.

Granted, it's not all his fault, his character isn't written with too much depth and and the show is mainly the focus Lucus and his son. Still, I don't like him all that much as The Marshall.

• Premium Member

I really liked Unforgiven because it had a story... I loved Tombstone because of Doc Holiday and the potential to be somewhat factual..

But Speghetti Westerns rule.

Fistful of Dollars

For a few Dollars more

The good, the Bad, the Ugly...

These are three of the best movies ever...If I had to choose between the three, I would be very hard pressrd...

Quote:

I was just looking at somebody's movies and it made me think of all the westerns I have seen.. I'm a western fan...

Top 3 best Westerns..

I voted but the list is incomplete without the first "great" western, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". The only movie John Wayne used the word "pilgrim", referring to Jimmy Stewart's character. A great movie. rock_band.gif

Quote:

...A good show is The Rifleman. Chuck Conners is a less superhuman Matt Dillion and actually holds the show up with next to nothing in the way of an effective cast...

Interesting piece of Chuck Connors trivia that I heard on a spots talk radio show in Boston some years back. Chuck Connors was a pro basketball player (and possibly a minor league baseball player as well). Connors is credited as being the first person to shatter a glass backboard while dunking in a game.

It's been a long time and I have no way to verify it. I think it was in some sort of 2nd teir New England pro league (not the NBA I don't think).

I guess he was a heck of an athlete but not quite good enough to make it at the highest level in either sport so he went to Hollywood.

Quote:

Quote:

...A good show is The Rifleman. Chuck Conners is a less superhuman Matt Dillion and actually holds the show up with next to nothing in the way of an effective cast...

Interesting piece of Chuck Connors trivia that I heard on a spots talk radio show in Boston some years back. Chuck Connors was a pro basketball player (and possibly a minor league baseball player as well). Connors is credited as being the first person to shatter a glass backboard while dunking in a game.

It's been a long time and I have no way to verify it. I think it was in some sort of 2nd teir New England pro league (not the NBA I don't think).

I guess he was a heck of an athlete but not quite good enough to make it at the highest level in either sport so he went to Hollywood.

http://basketballreference.com/players/pla...ilkid=CONNOCH01

He wasn't much of a basketball player.