• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Payton a possibility?

TheDude

word is that sonics are shopping payton but whatever team takes him needs to take the contract for jerome james or calvin booth(or as some of you like to type, JJ or CB)...payton's contract is up at the end of this year...

do we trade for him so this year he can help us make a run and next year we can not resign him if we want if dickau is ready...?

or is james and booth's contracts too much? i'd maybe do it IF we can get rid of crawford or something..

Payton comes to atlanta, mentors JT... JT moves to SG and shoots the lights out of the philips arena.

After Payton leaves/retires... JT moves back to the point and takes his place without missing a step!

its like a dream come true!

i would love to have payton here as long as Abdur-Rahim and Terry remains here.

any combination of Robinson and Ratliff is accepted in my book.

how about Robinson + Ratliff for Payton, James, 1st rounder?

In theory, you would think Jason Terry would learn a lot by playing alongside his idol/mentor, but I think you do nothing be create further uncertainty to what JT's position is.

The only way Jason Terry will get better as a point guard is to continue to play as a point guard.

Payton as a coach would be better than Payton as a player, IMO. That's one reason Nate McMillan was my top choice for head coach back when the Hawks hired Lon Kruger. I thought McMillan was the best guy out there that could have bettered Jason's game.

It's obvious though. When we go looking for assistant coaches, we need one coach that teaches post defense really well, one coach that teaches perimeter defense really well, and one coach that understands how to run an offense with a multi-faceted point guard like Jason Terry.

I don't know why Atlanta let Clifford Ray get through their fingers and go to Cleveland. That guy is one of the best at teaching post defense in the NBA.

• Premium Member

I agree KB. GP would have to be the one to move to the SG... and JT remain at PG.

It's almost a certainty that if we don't establish a trade of Hendu, Nazr, or Theo for Cap Space, that JT won't be a Hawk next season.