• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JJ, Smoove and Marvin all had at least 20

smithrules

I agree. Enough with the "trade Marvin" stuff. He will be more than OK. Can you imagine how good this team could be if Marvin and Smoove each average about 18. With what JJ brings to the table every night, that is a powerful start. It is impossible to deny the improvement we are seeing.

Quote:

It is impossible to deny the improvement we are seeing.

I wish this were true, but so many posters can't get over the fact that we picked him second and he hasn't already become a star, and they've written so much s*it about him already that they're more concerned with being "right" than they are with enjoying his growth.

Their loss.

It's pretty clear that we should have taken a PG, we didn't. But Marvin is improving and growing up and I believe he still has as much of a chance as anyone to beome an all star in this league.

Quote:

Those shots have been there all year for Marvin. He just doesn't hit them consistently. When he does his scoring average will go up from 12 to 15-17 ppg range.

I totally agree. If he can start knocking down the open shots that are there for him, he will score 15 ppg easy and will open up the floor for us and give us somewhere to go to make teams pay for double teaming.

I'm one of Marvin's biggest fans, but I've also been worried about consistency. For some reason on this board he's bashed a lot. The thing about Marvin is that when he plays with confidence, he's always capable of 20. The problem is WHEN. I love seeing him and Smoove mature in front of us. I envisioned JJ, Smoove, and Marv always being high scorers for us, but we need the young guys to stay consistent.

The consistency issues are there because he's 20 years old and inexperienced. You just don't see many young players dominating at a young age. Guys like LeBron James are the exception, not the rule. Even Chris Bosh had his consistency issues during his first two years in the league.

i think that next year you will start to see marvin hit that mid range jumper with alot of consistancy. another thing that would help him is someone getting the ball to him where he has time to go in and take the shot. alot of times when he tries to go inside, he's met with about 3 bodies. he doesn't have the athletiscm of josh smith who can get inside almost at will. he needs a point to set him up. he will benifit alot from being able to run the pick and pop like webber and bibby back in 2000. he gets that mid range jumper going, we might have three 20 pt scorers next year.

Quote:

Those shots have been there all year for Marvin. He just doesn't hit them consistently. When he does his scoring average will go up from 12 to 15-17 ppg range.

and AHF said: "The scoring was nice, but I was a bit dissappointed in his work on the boards yesterday. Good game but if I was coaching Marvin I would still emphasize his need to do more outside of scoring."

I think both are true. Marvin just needs to learn to play the game a little more. If he has the desire - he can.

First: If Marvin consistently knocks down those jumpers his game can change. Instead of Woody telling him to "drive more"...and it ends up being into the teeth of the defense - with a deadly jumpshot, defensive players will be forced to come out on him harder - giving him the opportunity to slip them and drive hard to the basket with an open lane. Doesn't mean he has to dunk every time...hitting that J makes options on the drives...like when another guy leaves his man MW can pass to an open man under the hoop for a layup (dunk in JS's case). Consistently hitting open jumpshots would open up the offensive game for Maevin.

Second: I agree AHF - Marvin has to hit the boards harder. I don't think he is well schooled in positoning and blocking out. Somehow transfer Matt Frieje's understanding of the blockout to Marvin and you'd have a helluva rebounder. Since that can't be done - somebody needs to teach him.

IMO Marvin may have a "combines" jump near JS - but he doesn't come close in game situations. Some of that is aggressiveness/instincts and some of that is just not knowing how. He isn't bad though - it looks like he's gaining slowly.

P.S. - I would add all-out effort...how many times have we seen JS miss a layup (maybe a hard driving one - but one he wanted to make)...then turn around and jet down the floor to block the other teams fast break - that is athletic arrogance and not wanting to be shown up. How many times have we seen the other teams guards basically "turn around" when they beat their man and drive to the hoop but see JS leave his man and come at them.

Quote:

When all of them develop we can have a trio similar to Wizards. Arenas, Jamison and Butler. Joe, Smoove and Marvin.

And potentially:

Joe Johnson can be every bit as good as Arenas (and he's only 6 months older)

Marvin Williams has potential to be much better than Butler (and he's 6 years younger)

Josh Smith may already be better than Jamison (and he's 9 years younger)

Yes siree the future is very promising.