• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin article

exodus

Quote:

...The next 2 games will be the test because he will be the only "significant" scorer playing. He has all the opportunity in the world to put up 30... However, I'm guessing he will defer. Look for Salim to put up most of the shots!

Yeah, you never know with Salim and TLue on the floor, marvin might not even see the ball that much. It will be interesting to see if our team still plays under some control and shares the basketball - or if it just turns into a summer league type go for yourself game.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

If he had the talent you say, he would be much better than a 42% player. I know, I know.. the hand.... blah blah blah...

So Smoove who some on here think that he is our best player isn't that much talented ethier, he is shooting 43% for god sakes. banghead.gif

• Premium Member

I am one of SMoove's biggest critics as it pertains to SHOT SELECTION...

The two are not even remotely related though.

Marvin takes shots he's supposed to hit. Smoove takes dumb ass shots from 3 that he can't hit.

Quote:

I am one of SMoove's biggest critics as it pertains to SHOT SELECTION...

The two are not even remotely related though.

Marvin takes shots he's supposed to hit. Smoove takes dumb ass shots from 3 that he can't hit.

Well if he is that good than he shouldn't take those shots that he can't hit. Smoove has picked up his percentage though, i remember he shot 38% at one point of the season. In Marvin's first 2 games he shot combined 3-17.

• Moderators

Quote:

Here's the whole story:

Marvin 45 3 pters of 629 shots. = 7%.

Smoove 150 3 pters of 939 shots. = 16%.

Bottom Line. Smoove takes dumb shots for a 24% 3 pt shooter.

He said explicitely that Marvin didn't take as many 3pters as Smoove. He is talking about longer 2pt shots.

69% of Marvin's shots are jump shots.

52% of Josh Smith's shots are jumpers.

Smith does take a much higher % of his jumpers from 3pt range, though.

The numbers match what I was thinking.

They shoot the same percentage. Marvin's shots are distributed largely towards jumpers inside the 3 point line, which are typically lower percentage shots than those close to the basket. Josh's shots are one or the other - a close in high percentage shot or a low percentage 3 point shot.

Marvin should be shooting more threes than Josh, but Marvin

should also be shooting more in-close shots than he is.

Marvin is the better "shooter" in my opinion while Josh is definitely the better "scorer"

They both need improvement in their shot selection, and over all decision making.

• Premium Member

Marvin is supposed to be a set shooter and Smoove supposed to be a Slasher though. How many articles were there on how SMOOVE Marvin's stroke was? What are you saying now, He's not even a good midrange shooter? Let's not even talk about 3 pt shooting.

• Moderators

Quote:

Marvin is supposed to be a set shooter and Smoove supposed to be a Slasher though. How many articles were there on how SMOOVE Marvin's stroke was? What are you saying now, He's not even a good midrange shooter? Let's not even talk about 3 pt shooting.

Marvin has been a much more effective jump shooter than Josh Smith but still needs to improve his midrange and long distance shooting, IMO.

I was just pointing out that you were calling Sheedra wrong but had misread his post.

Quote:

So Smoove who some on here think that he is our best player isn't that much talented ethier, he is shooting 43% for god sakes.
banghead.gif

Smith is shooting 44%, Marvin is shooting 42% despite taking pretty much exclusively setup jumpers.

Quote:

...and I would venture to guess that a much higher percentage of Marvin's shots are longer distance jumpshots (not 3's of course) than Smith's attempted shots.

You ever wondered why that is? Marvin can't dribble, and he doesn't have body control inside, which is why he can't finish and always gets his lunch packed. He's taking nothing but jumpers (most are wide open) and still only shoots 42%. Hoping that he completely changes the dynamic of his game from shooting to taking it to the rack, is doubtful at best.

Let's hope he really improves his jumper and becomes prolific shooter.

Quote:

Smith is shooting 44%, Marvin is shooting 42% despite taking pretty much exclusively setup jumpers.

On jumpers, Marvin has an effective FG% of 40.5%, Smith has an effective FG% of 31.5%. BIG difference.

FWIW, 52% of Smith's shots are jumpers, 69% of Marvin's are jumpers. I find both numbers too high. I'd like to see Marvin around 40-45%, Smith around 30-35%.

Marvin is supposed to be a better shooter than Smoove.

That why Marvin was supposed to be a future allstar,and Smoove more likely to be a bust.Because Marvin is supposed to be a better fundamentally skilled Than Smoove.That why one guy was a number 2 pick and the other a 17th pick.

I'm tired of the Marvin excuses.We should be comparing him

to other SF'S taken in the top 3 picks, Like Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, Mike Dunleavy ect. instead of a number 17 pick.

I can see good things in Marvin on occasion they just seem to be showing up less and less. I was so excited about Marvin as I was at the scrimmage and he looked so good. I mean really good. It left me with goosebumps. But a scrimmage is just what it is. I don't even get the sense he is struggling to get it like young players seem to do. It seems like he's not even reaching for it most of the time. I don't know what to think about him anymore. I'm not for or against trading him but he needs to show if he'll be special like he was drafted to be.

Quote:

I'm tired of the Marvin excuses.We should be comparing him

to other SF'S taken in the top 3 picks, Like Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, Mike Dunleavy ect. instead of a number 17 pick.

Agreed and I haven't thought of that, but Marvin is unfortunately VERY similar to Dunleavy, that's actually a pretty good comparison.

Quote:

On jumpers, Marvin has an effective FG% of 40.5%, Smith has an effective FG% of 31.5%. BIG difference.

FWIW, 52% of Smith's shots are jumpers, 69% of Marvin's are jumpers. I find both numbers too high. I'd like to see Marvin around 40-45%, Smith around 30-35%.

Good point, obviously Smith's overall FG% would improve by taking less jumpers. But's it's tough when you don't have a PG to get you open opportunities, nor a coach with an offensive scheme, and no kind of post presence inside. It's not always just THAT easy to take the ball inside, in our situation it will lead to an abundant amount of turnovers, which is why Smith has averaged more turnovers since he's been performing better and penetrating more.

He played pretty well. He was looking to get into the post more often, converted some and looked bad a couple of times.

But overall he seems to look comfortable shooting the right handed jump hook. However he needs to do a better job of getting himself in position for it.

On defense Green scored on him but to be fair Green was making heavily contested 3s. I think Marvin blocked Greens first jumper of the game. Marvin got burned off the dribble pretty badly one time that made the highlights.