stop bashing JT

PureGreatness

• Moderators

Nothing wrong with JT. I still root for him to do well. He was a fine player in Atlanta. He is just a tough fit for a team to build around for the reasons you mentioned.

I think most people around here still remember him with some fondness.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Nothing wrong with JT. I still root for him to do well. He was a fine player in Atlanta. He is just a tough fit for a team to build around for the reasons you mentioned.

I'm one of those people who remember the guy fondly. True, you couldn't build a team "around" him, but which of this team's recent lottery picks could you build a team around today? Childress? Smoove? Marvin? Shelden? Three of those four guys were picked several spots AHEAD of where we picked JT. Are any of those guys the savior of this franchise? If we were to judge JT on the same basis as the rest of those guys he would easily be one of the best draft picks we ever made. I just don't get the hate around here sometimes. If a guy comes here and can't lift this terrible franchise to the next level and then moves on, people take shots at him. Who's next??? JJ???

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I'm one of those people who remember the guy fondly. True, you couldn't build a team "around" him, but which of this team's recent lottery picks could you build a team around today? Childress? Smoove? Marvin? Shelden? Three of those four guys were picked several spots AHEAD of where we picked JT. Are any of those guys the savior of this franchise? If we were to judge JT on the same basis as the rest of those guys he would easily be one of the best draft picks we ever made. I just don't get the hate around here sometimes. If a guy comes here and can't lift this terrible franchise to the next level and then moves on, people take shots at him. Who's next??? JJ???

IMO it is much easier to plug any of those guys into a conventional team without significant liabilities than it is to have JT as your PG or SG. In either case, JT brings significant liabilities that are balanced by his excellent and efficient offensive contributions.

Marvin, Chills, Shelden, and Smoove all have the size and skills to be a starting forward on your team without causing you to have any significant weaknesses.

In JT's defense, none of those guys are as dangerous offensively yet as he is.

I just think JT is one of the toughest players to build around in the league - yet he is good enough that he can be a key player on a very good team.

• Moderators

Quote:

i always thought we should of kept JT or traded for something better than walker. People critize him because he was not a true "pg" but he has been the only guard over the past decade to do a better job at point than mookie did in the late 90's.

I would definitely take Mookie over JT but clearly JT has been the best guy we have had at the PG position since he left. That isn't exactly saying much, though. JT is what he is - a very good SG in a PG's body.

• Premium Member

I agree with your last statement that he is a good key contributor. But my beef is why do we judge JT differently from our other lottery picks who were picked several picks ahead of him. Why did we expect him to come here and make dramatic improvement(under a few different coaches), but give all of our other picks a "free pass" when they underachieve? JT has his faults but look at the guys that we have on this team now. Defensive liabilities, offensive liabilities, lack of mental toughness, and realtively low basketball IQ would all be good descriptions of what we have on our roster. I just don't get why JT gets bashed so much. He wasn't a locker room cancer. He didn't have off the court problems. He wasn't disrespectful to his coach(es) even if they didn't know what they were doing. He did his time here and now he's off to greener pastures. I wish him well. I won't be like some who watch him play just to pick his game apart to somehow validate how they felt about him when he was here. I'm just not that bitter or vindictive.

• Moderators

I think he is judged more harshly because his excellent offensive skills get people to buy into him being a key player on the team. They then cheer for him and get frustrated when his liabilities become more apparent. JT's size and playmaking skills make it tough even for a team as good as Dallas to use him as a starter without his lack of ability to control an offensive or guard a 2G becoming a problem. JT is great when the matchups are good but can be exploited much more easily, IMO, than most players in the NBA. Since he is good enough that he is a starter and key player in the rotation, he can't go to the bench when the matchups are not favorable which leaves him really exposed.

All that said, I think it is largely a matter of expectations.

Also, I don't know if you have posted around here before (j/k) but Marvin, Shelden and others have their share of critics. wink.gif

Quote:

please stop bashing jason terry. i dont know why when players leave atlanta we seem to hate them. we did the same with deone sanders. i know hes not a pure point guard and i know hes too short for SG but he plays hard....i plus i know him personally

Because he and the Hawks accomplished nothing. He was a taken with a top 10 pick and never helped the Hawks do anything.

He plays crappy defense and is not a real PG. Lastly, he's two faced. He wanted to be both a Jazz and a Maverick all his life. grin.gif

Guest Walter

Quote:

IMO it is much easier to plug any of those guys into a conventional team without significant liabilities than it is to have JT as your PG or SG. In either case, JT brings significant liabilities that are balanced by his excellent and efficient offensive contributions.

Liabilities are more common the lower you draft. BTW, anyone remember that draft? Terrible.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

I wished Deke, Smitty, and even Mookie(who I disliked a fair bit due to his Antonie Walker like shooting) but I can't wish guys like Stephen Jackson, JT, Al well cause they did nothing but pad stats as Hawks.

What else was there to play for? We haven't been in playoff contention for the past eight or nine years. Honestly, we haven't even been close, unless you count this season when the rest of the Eastern conference was so awful that Orlando moonwalked into the playoffs. There have actually been some seasons where we were pretty much done by the All-Star break. Heck, I'd pad my stats too. Lord knows you might as well "win" at something. It's no different than teams tanking when they realize that there's nothing else to shoot for.

Quote:

Quote:

I wished Deke, Smitty, and even Mookie(who I disliked a fair bit due to his Antonie Walker like shooting) but I can't wish guys like Stephen Jackson, JT, Al well cause they did nothing but pad stats as Hawks.

What else was there to play for? We haven't been in playoff contention for the past eight or nine years. Honestly, we haven't even been close, unless you count this season when the rest of the Eastern conference was so awful that Orlando moonwalked into the playoffs. There have actually been some seasons where we were pretty much done by the All-Star break. Heck, I'd pad my stats too. Lord knows you might as well "win" at something. It's no different than teams tanking when they realize that there's nothing else to shoot for.

Maybe if JT could have played the right way when the team had Reef, Dog, and Theo he wouldn't have had to spent the second half padding stats. JT is the worst. He was the start of the franchise going into the dirt.

JT and Shareef are the worst. Dog was really only here one season and he pretty much did what he always had done before. He was a vet scorer. JT and Shareef never improved at all during their time as Hawks. They were the young duo that was supposed to get this franchise back on the right track and they totally failed.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Liabilities are more common the lower you draft. BTW, anyone remember that draft? Terrible.

W

Elton Brand, Baron Davis, Andre Miller, Steve Francis, Jason Terry, Lamar Odom, Richard Hamilton, Shawn Marion, Wally Sczerbiak, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, Andrei Kirilenko....

Terrible?

Are you thinking of 2000?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe if JT could have played the right way when the team had Reef, Dog, and Theo he wouldn't have had to spent the second half padding stats. JT is the worst. He was the start of the franchise going into the dirt.

JT and Shareef are the worst. Dog was really only here one season and he pretty much did what he always had done before. He was a vet scorer. JT and Shareef never improved at all during their time as Hawks. They were the young duo that was supposed to get this franchise back on the right track and they totally failed.

But the effort was there. Those players couldn't help it if they were limited in what they could do. I remember that it was Shareef who started voluntary off-season workouts, something almost unheard of until he got here. That team was so confident that they were going to the playoffs that they offered that imfamous money back promise. Like I said earlier, the effort was there. It was just the player chemistry wasn't right on those Hawk teams. BTW, the Hawks true turning point was when they brought in Isaiah Rider to be the "leader" of this team. On paper, he had what it took to lead that team to the playoffs. He had tremendous talent. His mind was a different story. He had a history of issues and that's what made that trade one of THE worst in Hawks history. JT was just a rookie back then and Shareef was still with the Grizz. I truly feel that was the point where this team went down the crapper.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

W

Elton Brand, Baron Davis, Andre Miller, Steve Francis, Jason Terry, Lamar Odom, Richard Hamilton, Shawn Marion, Wally Sczerbiak, Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, Andrei Kirilenko....

Terrible?

I was thinking of the Swift. Miles, DJ draft.

W

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

W

Terrible?

I was thinking of the Swift. Miles, DJ draft.

W

That was the 2000 draft. Terry would have gone a LOT higher in that draft than #10, IMO.