• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My wish in a PG: scoring

txsting

I really think we need a PG who is a scoring option. Right now we are a very poor offensive team in need of greater options. We need a complement to JJ in order to begin competing, bottom line. We were a demonstrably better team last season when Lue was playing well and scoring (8-9 record when Lue scored 15 or more)

If we don't luck into a frontcourt scoring option (no Durant or Oden), then I'd rather have a PG who can score but has only adequate playmaking ability. JJ is an above-average playmaker (4.4 APG) who I think would pair well with a combo guard style player.

With that in mind, I have to rank the PG's like this:

1) Crit (think he's a top 5 talent, really)

2) Law

3) Conley

I'm concerned that Conley really duplicates the skills that we already have on the roster with Speedy. Crit is so raw but has great attitude, is very coachable, and his flaws are all things you can work on. Law also has great intangibles and scoring touch and if Crit flies up the board, Law would be a nice pick at #11.

Now, if we do get Oden or Durant, I might be willing to pick Conley, but ONLY if his workouts showed me a real advantage over the other guards in playmaking (passing, ballhandling, penetration) and defense.

I agree 100% with your PG rankings, but Crittenton is NOT that raw, I really don't get all this raw talk on Javaris. I agree he's not fully developed, but he's already quick, a good ball handler, good passer, better than average shooter, strong, and can penetrate REALLY well. He's also a good defender, and he's cold blooded, is not scared to take (and make) clutch shots. Sure he's turnover prone right now, but that doesn't mean he's a raw player that won't get anything done his first few years.

People here act like Javaris is a Sene type player who will do absolutely NOTHING in his first few years, and I disagree with that assumption wholeheartedly..

Quote:

People here act like Javaris is a Sene type player who will do absolutely NOTHING in his first few years, and I disagree with that assumption wholeheartedly..

Some people want to put down one player or the other to try to promote the guy they think should be the pick. i find myself defending all three.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I agree 100% with your PG rankings, but Crittenton is NOT that raw, I really don't get all this raw talk on Javaris. I agree he's not fully developed, but...

He's raw, but I agree I wouldn't go further in negatively describing his relative readiness. The guy has so much potential, however, that it's difficult to know how long it will take to reach it. He may become better than the other two Pgs within 2 years, yet still not have reached anywhere near his high ceiling.

W

• Moderators

Quote:

I'm concerned that Conley really duplicates the skills that we already have on the roster with Speedy.

I don't get the Conley/Speedy comparison except that both are quick and Conley is only two inches taller than Speedy. I guess you could stretch and say that they are both good defensively (Speedy is significantly better at this point when healthy) and neither is a good perimeter shooter (Conley is already significantly better).

However, the key difference is that Conley has shown serious playmaking ability and ability to run both a fast break and half-court offense. Speedy has never been a playmaker or someone who can run an offense (he can be a caretaker but is not a playmaker).

IMO, they would not be duplicates at all for that reason.

Also, you aren't going to see playmaking ability during workouts. The players don't operate in a team environment on the floor in those workouts. You can see measurables and demonstration of skills but you won't see things like court awareness, vision, protection of the ball, etc.

I like all 3 but I have a great feeling about JC. The kid is going to be great. The NBA game will fit him like a glove. A true PG with vision that is athletic enough to penetrate and play defense. Count me in.

BTW, I think Knight will blow this pick. I think we all walk away as fans saying...WTF??? NOT AGAIN.

Quote:

I like JC a whole lot but Im guilty of this. I think it's because my lasting image is that game he had vs UNLV. But it was just one game. Living in Gainesville, FL I really didn't get to see him much this year.

But you're right, not like he just picked up a basketball a couple years ago like Sene.

He's been playing ball his whole life. And honestly a rookie JC is probably twice as good as TLue or Ivey combined.

Law, Conley, or JC, I don't care anymore. But it would be so stupid if we passed on all three.

Please don't take Spencer Hawes over these guys BK, or Lord forbid he does something stupid like take Thaddeus Young or even Jeff Green as talented as he is.

• Moderators

Quote:

BTW, I think Knight will blow this pick. I think we all walk away as fans saying...WTF??? NOT AGAIN.

If that happens, I think you will see a violent swing among Hawks core fans to oust BK. You saw my season ending poll. If we see Jeff Green or somebody drafted by BK we can run that poll again and I guarantee it will have shifted dramatically.

I don't watch the college games very much. I would have

to rely on the scouting reports from the pro scouts AND

the scouting reports by the posters here on Hawksquawk.

My wish: Good hands. When the PG gets control of the

ball, he doesn't fumble it away - loose his dribble -

allow the opponent to steal it. When he recieves a pass,

the ball sticks like glue. When he penetrates the lane,

he doesn't go one way and the ball goes another way.

On a rebound, he's able to hang on to the ball. When he

passes the ball, there is no "Oops, that slipped."

Sure, I want him to have great court vision. A great

basketball I.Q. Deadly from behind the three point

line. A real team player. A leader. Abiltiy to

penetrate and kick out or score. Hit his free throws.

A quick defender who can steal the ball. Rebound.

But, if he doesn't have great hands, he can't really

do all these other things - I think this is a must.

Therefore, my question about all these prospects mentioned

here is, "How is his hands?"

You have to tell me. As I said, I don't watch much college

ball, so I don't have a clue. Help me out here.

:Handshake_emoticon_-_UPDATED:

Quote:

but Crittenton is NOT that raw, I really don't get all this raw talk on Javaris.

Sounds like you never saw Crittendon play or it would be obvious why he is considered so raw by so many.

Crittendon had 2 or fewer turnovers in only 6 games all year!!!!! 3 of the 6 games were against the likes of:

Troy State

St. Francis Catholic

Winstom - Salem State

None of these games came vs. top 25 competition.

Does that honestly sound like a college PG who should even be considered in the lottery ?

Law had 17 games (over 50% of all games) with only 2 or fewer turnovers

Top 25 teams he did this against are:

Kansas

Oklahoma State twice, both times they played

Texas

Memphis

He also did this vs. Withrop he went to the sweet 16 and is known for their full court on the ball defensive pressure like Louiville or Memphis.

I find it interesting that when Law played against elite teams and teams who's strength is forcing turnovers- he was often able to keep his turnovers to 2 or less.

Now do you see why one of the PGs is considered raw or very raw to many ?

Now do you see why one is ready now to help a team turn the corner ?

Bring Sam Cassell Jr. on down to the ATL !!!!

Many have said Law was some no name coming out of high school. Law was actually recruited by Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, U Conn, Texas A&M, and Georgia Tech. He started the last 10 games of the year his freshman season. His sohmore year he started every game and was an All Big 12 honorable mention. Law's junior year he was first team all Big 12, we all know how dominant he was his senior year. The one constant, steady improvement every year. That is not as common as you may think.

Critt could improve every year too but many players don't (Ex. Dominic James entered the year as #1 PG in college but got worse). We already know Law improves every year and their is no reason to think he will stop his improvement any time soon.

Just because a senior is more NBA ready than a freshman doesn't mean that we should just automatically take the more NBA ready guy. If we take Law, it should be because we think he is not only better now but that he will be better 2 or 3 years from now too. I like Law fine but I like Crittenton (and Conley for that matter) every bit as much.

Quote:

Quote:

If that happens, I think you will see a violent swing among Hawks core fans to oust BK. You saw my season ending poll. If we see Jeff Green or somebody drafted by BK we can run that poll again and I guarantee it will have shifted dramatically.

How could we hate BK any more than we do now? I am so scared of him picking again this year - - I can just see another forward !!!

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How could we hate BK any more than we do now? I am so scared of him picking again this year - - I can just see another forward !!!

Pull up the polls. People were unified in wanting to get rid of Woody. Opinion was divided on BK. It won't be if we get yet another SF.

Quote:

Just because a senior is more NBA ready than a freshman doesn't mean that we should just automatically take the more NBA ready guy. If we take Law, it should be because we think he is not only better now but that he will be better 2 or 3 years from now too. I like Law fine but I like Crittenton (and Conley for that matter) every bit as much.

Which he probably will be. The fact that he's more NBA ready means he is more likely to make an immediate impact as early as next year.

With JC we may not get the real JC until 4 years from now.

If he's the best PG available, sure Im willing to take that chance.

But there is not reason to take it if Law is there

The law supporters kill me with the idea that law is a sure fire top tier NBA PG. I don't see that as being the case at all. I think he COULD be but I also could see him being a Rumeal Robinson or a Dujuan Wagner. He is NOT the sure things that Deron Williams, Chris Paul and Raymond Felton were.

Well, AHF, I have a man-crush on Jeff Green and would not be upset at all if we picked him unless Conley is on the board, and even then, I think I'd be OK with it.

Maybe that makes me no better than BK, but there it is.

However, I can assure you that in the two weeks leading up to the draft, I would be on the phone with every GM in the league who had a PG I like, working out a contingency deal to deal Marvin for PG help should Green be available at #11. So I'd have the deal already lined up...pick Jeff Green at #11, deal Marvin 15 minutes later.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Well, AHF, I have a man-crush on Jeff Green and would not be upset at all if we picked him unless Conley is on the board, and even then, I think I'd be OK with it.

Maybe that makes me no better than BK, but there it is.

However, I can assure you that in the two weeks leading up to the draft, I would be on the phone with every GM in the league who had a PG I like, working out a contingency deal to deal Marvin for PG help should Green be available at #11. So I'd have the deal already lined up...pick Jeff Green at #11, deal Marvin 15 minutes later.

Why not deal MW for Green (almost wherever he lands) and still get your Pg of choice at 11? That seems more of a sure thing.

W

Quote:

He is NOT the sure things that Deron Williams, Chris Paul and Raymond Felton were.

Paul, Deron and Felton weren't surefire great PGs either. I remember everyone here laughing at some of the comparisons made, only to be proven wrong a year later.

I'm not saying he'll be as good as them, but I believe Law will be a damn good..