• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rumor: Hawks trade

oiatlhawksfan

Theres a rumor that the Hawks could ship the 3rd pick and one the Sfs, for Zach Randoplh and Jarret jack. I personally think we can get more. This is one of the srongest draft in a long time, and were gonna trade a top 3 pick, for a player who is often overweight, and hasn't even led his team to the playoffs. I think it should be Childress for Jack straight up.

• Premium Member

I think that we don't really need the kind of production that Randolph provides. 23/10 is really good.. But what's he shooting? From my understanding there's a black hole in PTL and he's wearing number 50. Zach Randolph makes Glenn Robinson look like Toni Kukoc.

BK would probably do this deal, Hawks are done if we take on his contract. The guy will be making almost 18 million dollars FOUR years from now. He's also one of the worst defenders in the league, and he's a headcase.

Quote:

I think that we don't really need the kind of production that Randolph provides. 23/10 is really good.. But what's he shooting? From my understanding there's a black hole in PTL and he's wearing number 50. Zach Randolph makes Glenn Robinson look like Toni Kukoc.

Think about why he is a black hole though. Other than Roy, there is no other reliable offensive option on that team.

When you look at that Portland team, it almost resembles what we have here, in the fact that they have a lot of guys with "potential" who are shooting a fairly low percentage from the field, in regard to the positions they play.

Zebo shoots almost 47% from the field. I pray to God that Smoove and Marvin could shoot 47% next year. They have the ability to do it, but they may not do it in the same breath. IF Smoove and Marvin could shoot 47% FG, that would be HUGE for us.

Zack's problem is that he's not a team leader. And he'll never will be. But he's a guy who could be a very good #2 option next to a star player. I bet LeBron wishes he had a Zack Randolph to throw the ball to these days. So would Kobe.

I think the mindset of this organzation and its fan base is going to have to change at some point VERY SOON. We just can't keep adding "potential" and young players to this lineup. At some point, we're going to have to trust that JJ, JS, JC, and Marvin can become the core of this team. And it also means that if we can add a good veteran player to this team, regardless of the position he plays, we should look to do it ASAP.

The more I look at our options via the draft and via free agency, the more I truly believe that once the season starts, Josh Smith may be starting at the 5. He's already played the 5 a lot over the years, especially whenw we put Chill, Marvin, and JJ out on the floor with him. If he adds another 5 - 10 pounds of muscle to his frame this summer, he may be asked to do just that.

Josh's problem is that he's a little soft. If he's asked to play center, he's going to have to get a lot tougher. I watched the last Phoenix game we played against them the other day. Josh played well, but Amare pretty much had his way with him. I'd like to see Smoove come back with a warrior type mindset, especially since he'll probably not have a contract extension by the time the season starts. He has the ability to play bigger than his 6-9 height, when he wants to.

Don't call him a center though, because he isn't. He'll just be part of a 3 forward . . or 4 forward lineup ( depending if you want to call JJ a SF with SG skills ). But then again, it seems like this is the way the league is going these days.

But Smoove may provide our best chance at winning, if he plays the 5 and is able to use his quickness to beat centers off the dribble. On the defensive end, he'll have to be a more displined man to man defender, and not try to block every shot. If we can't get a quality big man in the draft or via free agency, you'll see the Hawks play a lot of zone, and try to use their athleticism to frustrate teams on the defensive end.

We're probably not going to be able to trade for a GOOD center ( not just a space eater ). So we may have to opt for trading to get somebody who can at least score in the low post. And when we do that, it'll probably be for a PF. It may be a PF with center-like skills in the low post ( Gasol or O'Neal ). Or it may be for a scoring PF, like a Zack Randolph.

If we're able to put this lineup on the floor, I can't argue against it, because it would be an upgrade from what we put on the floor last year.

PG - Law

G - JJ

F - Marvin ( or Chill ) . . whichever one is traded

F - Randolph

F - Smoove

Bench:

G - Speedy ( or Lue ) . . whichever one gets traded

G - Salim

G - AJ ( if he isn't included in a deal )

F - Solomon

F - Shelden

G/F/C - ???

If people TRULY want this team to run, Smoove will probably have to play the 5, in order for us to be a very effective running team. Let Smoove outrun the big man, while also having the option to throw it down low to a guy like Randolph, who can get you offense from the low block.

Quote:

If we're able to put this lineup on the floor, I can't argue against it, because it would be an upgrade from what we put on the floor last year.

Offensively it will be an upgrade, but starting Smith and Randolph at PF and C spells interior defensive DOOM. Zach is a HORRIBLE defender and also has head issues, do you REALLY want to pay him 18 million 4 years from now?? That all but ensures Smith is gone after his rookie contract is up, we aren't resigning Smith to a decent deal if we have Randolph's contract on our hands.

Quote:

If people TRULY want this team to run, Smoove will probably have to play the 5, in order for us to be a very effective running team.

No he doesn't. 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's are the pretty much the only time fast break opportunities are there. To run a fast break, all you need is a 5 that can rebound and make a good kickout pass.

It is not a rumor and there has been no trade proposed. On PTI it was Michael Wilbon just throwing out a trade idea of what it might take for the Blazers to get the #3 pick. He even went on to say he doesn't see the Hawks doing that kind of trade. In conclusion there is no rumor trade going on.

Quote:

No he doesn't. 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's are the pretty much the only time fast break opportunities are there. To run a fast break, all you need is a 5 that can rebound and make a good kickout pass.

Very true. People forget that the Showtime Lakers had an ancient Kareem as center.

Quote:

Offensively it will be an upgrade, but starting Smith and Randolph at PF and C spells interior defensive DOOM. Zach is a HORRIBLE defender and also has head issues, do you REALLY want to pay him 18 million 4 years from now?? That all but ensures Smith is gone after his rookie contract is up, we aren't resigning Smith to a decent deal if we have Randolph's contract on our hands.

I think the lineup that Golden St. put out on the floor, spelled interior doom for them. It depends on what kind of player he is 4 years from now. I mean, how many PFs in this league can get you 23 and 10 every night? That kind of a potent offensive player usually gets max dollars. If he's still putting up those kinds of numbers, he's definitely worth max money.

The difference between a Smith - Randolph - M.Williams frontline compared to a Biendrins - ( Barnes or Harrington ) - Richardson frontilne, is that our frontline would be able to rebound AND score much better than theirs, thus, limiting a lot of 2nd chance points on those times in which we'd play good "on the ball" defense. A Charlotte oe Utah frontline would still kill us, but we'd have the ability to get those points right back, with a low post option like Zack.

As far as it ensuring Smith is gone after his rookie contract, I disagree. You're assuming that Smith is going to get offered a max contract by somebody next summer. If he played with the same efficiency that he did in March, when he averaged 20 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 blocks ( 4 turnovers also ), then yes, somebody might offer him max money. But I don't think that's a guarantee at all, because the list of teams that will be able to do that, is far less than what you think it is. And it becomes miniscule if Charlotte goes after Vince Carter, if he decides to opt out of his contract.

If anything, it may be that Marvin doesn't get re-signed ( 2009 ), or possibly even Shelden for that matter ( 2010 ). And it may be that re-signing JJ becomes a difficult task to re-sign in 2010.

But if we're not winning by then, JJ's not re-signing anyway.

Quote:

What about a 5 that can lead the break himself off of a rebound? Isn't that what Smith does a lot right now? I go crazy when he does it, but that is an asset to his offensive game and to the team, when he doesn't turn the ball over doing that. I'd much rather him be a finisher out on the fast break. But even I have to admit that Smoove starting fast breaks at times has helped us win games.

LOL . . this kid tossed an alley-oop pass to Salim in that great Denver game back in December, after Shelden won a jumpball and tipped it in Smoove's area. It was a risky, but great play at the same time, because it caught the defense totally by surprise. Most big men, after recoving a tip like that, would've handed the ball off to his PG, and had to set up an offensive play in the 1/2 court. But Smoove immeadiately got the ball and took off up the floor. It just so happens that Salim did the exact same thing, like they were reading each other's minds, or maybe they discussed doing just that before the jumpball occured.

At any rate, Salim's catch and shoot in the air was blocked by J.R. Smith, but it was called a goaltend, and tied the game up at 94. It was a play that your average PF wouldn't dream of making, but Smoove's decision to do that may have won the game for the Hawks, seeing that the Hawks had failed to score in 3 consecutive 1/2 court possesions before that jumpball.

A lot of people on this board think we're suited to be a running team, because of what Smith does when he tries to push the tempo. Lue doesn't push tempo. AJ doesn't. Speedy tried to do it ( when his knees feel good ). Fact is, the only people on this team that try to play uptempo, are Smoove and Salim, and Chill to a certain extent. But most of the time, it's Smoove pushing the tempo.

By the way Atlas, I don't disagree with you about Zack and the deficiencies that he may bring to this team, including his contract. Yes, he is a horrible defender. Yes, he is a head case. But he's also a guy that can get you 20 and 10 every night. He's also one of the game's best low post scorers on the block and from the baseline. As as far as his contract goes, the vast majority of winning teams in this league, have two guys who are making max money, or close to it.

Does his deficiencies outweigh his assets as a player? If so, then BK probably doesn't make a move for him. If not, don't be surprised if a deal like that gets done.

And no, Zack wouldn't be the guy I would target in exchange for a #3 pick. With that pick, I'd target either O'Neal or Gasol, because they're PFs with center-like abilities on both ends of the floor. But Zack instantly makes the Hawks better. And he has the ability to carry the team offensively on those nights when JJ is struggling.

One thing I'll say about ZaZa. He's horrible defensively. But when he does play well offensively, the Hawks are usually in a good position to win a game. Hawks record when ZaZa scores 20 or more points: 6 - 5

Sometimes, a bad defensive player can cancel out his bad defense, if he plays well offensively. It's when that bad defensive player is also playing horribly offensively, that it comes back to be a major problem.

We can talk about building a title contending team all we want here. But we have to first get to the playoffs, before thoughts like that even cross people's minds. So do we continue to wait on potential and players to develop, while saving money in the process? Or do we go after proven players who may make a lot of money, to help us elevate the Hawks to playoff level immeadiately?

But I don't want this pick traded for another young "potential" guy.

Quote:

Theres a rumor that the Hawks could ship the 3rd pick and one the Sfs, for Zach Randoplh and Jarret jack. I personally think we can get more. This is one of the srongest draft in a long time, and were gonna trade a top 3 pick, for a player who is often overweight, and hasn't even led his team to the playoffs. I think it should be Childress for Jack straight up.

oh my god, what a horrible horrible trade...the 3rd pick for jarret jack basically and a little better on the forward front (randolph over one of our sfs-which means childress or marvin)..that would be the one trade rumor that if it came to fruition, i would go ballistic. good lord man.