• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Reasons for Some Not Wanting Yi?

ncthompson11

I dont see why people on this board do not want to pick him at #3. He is a big man and can score defend, and is a decent rebounder. I think when people heard the word "Dirk" associated with him everyone thought of just a guy who will stand around the perimeter when he is more of a pau gasol type player. If he was said to play more like Yao than Dirk I feel more would want this guy as our true center, which he would be if drafted.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the little I've seen I must say that I do like him. I would like to know his real age and accurate measurements. I'd also like to see a video of him taking jumpers, some off the dribble.

For the people that think Portland might trade Aldridge and Jack for the #3, how about this deal.

Atlanta gets #5 and Jarret Jack

Boston gets Lamarcus Aldridge

Portland gets #3

Obviously more would needed to make the deal work but those are the main parts. This way we could maybe still grab Yi in the process and keep our #11 to package for a veteran.

#11 / Marvin / Claxton / Pachulia for Gasol?

Jack / AJ / Lue

Johnson / Salim

Smith / Childress

Yi / Jones

Gasol / Shelden / Wright

I am reluctant to take Yi because I haven't seen him play. I'd like to see him in a workout. Just a little afraid he is getting hyped too much. A big question mark.

But if we get him, that's ok with me. But I'm afraid that BK and Woody will not take any international player.

There are videos of Yi dribbling and taking outside shots. He's rather fluid with this shot and blocking it would be hell for a C having to leave the paint. He also has video on youtube where he drives to the basket rather forcibly. I would be more than happy with Yi and Crit.

Quote:

He is a big man and can score defend,

Wrong. He is a 7 foot small forward who can't defend against chinese players. We need another forward like we need another veteran backup pg. Wasting ANOTHER top 6 pick (that would be 4 in a row) on a forward makes absolutely no sense.

This from draft express from someone who has actually see Yi in something other than a highlight clip.

Quote:

Yi Jianlian in particular is having some troubles against Bayi’s excellent frontcourt (for Chinese standards). He has been battling mainly against Wang Zhizhi and Mo Ke, both members of the Chinese National Team and both long, mobile and skilled guys. Yi is especially suffering scoring near the basket when he isn’t able to use his right-handed jump-hook from short distances (which is by the way looking pretty nice, with an excellent high release). He’s finding less space in the lane and more intimidation than usual, so he can’t operate as comfortably and his teammates don’t find him as easily. Simply put, he can’t just score over his rivals at will

Still, Yi has delivered a bit of everything regarding his offensive game. He has again shown his solid mid-range stroke, useful out to 20 feet, but still very inconsistent from the three-point line (1/6 in this series ). He has also attacked his match-ups off the dribble with both hands and decent handles, also exposing severe limitations to finish with his left, just as it happens when he plays from the post. Indeed, we haven’t seen much of his turnaround shot off the post, actually missing the very few times he put it on display. Anyway, he never found the rhythm to heat up from the field, and couldn’t lead his team with the games on the line; he couldn’t become a real go-to player.

On defense it was a bit of the same story. It’s not that Wang Zhizhi has exaggeratedly dominated him, but Yi has suffered trying to stop him. Still far from being a really physical defender (as we have stated before, he needs to use his body better and be more aggressive), Wang has been able to rely on his pure skills to outscore him . Besides, this time his frontcourt teammate Jason Dixon has not been as effective as in the semifinals, as his limited size doesn’t match well with Wang’s height and wingspan.

He will need a big adjustment in his defensive game from what he’s displaying in the CBA to what will be required in the NBA.

Exodus, I can't say I disagree with the logjam that we have, but if we alleviated Chill and ???, then I'd take a chance on Yi any day. The scout was talking about one game. There are views of Yi out there (I'm too lazy to look) that said that he didn't have a problem with other big bodies. It's all relative because WE haven't seen him up close and personal. However, I wouldn't not be mad at getting him and Crit.

Quote:

The scout was talking about one game.

No he wasn't. This comment was clearly about his game all season.

Quote:

He will need a big adjustment in his defensive game from what he’s displaying in the CBA to what will be required in the NBA.

But couldn't that statement apply to yet many of the 'big men' in the draft? I'm just saying. I know he's got to work on the defensive end. That is a given. I'm saying if we alleviate the logjam, I'd still want him.

I see everyone panicking and wanting us to take Conley at 3......I haven't seen Chris Paul in his game. The options say we get a pg/C in a trade anyway.

Quote:

The options say we get a pg/C in a trade anyway.

If it was that easy why haven't we done it already?

Quote:

I know he's got to work on the defensive end.

He is 22, not a teenager. The only reason to draft ANOTHER forward is if he is a major upgrade over what we have now. You really think he is better than Josh Smith?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I dont see why people on this board do not want to pick him at #3. He is a big man and can score defend, and is a decent rebounder. I think when people heard the word "Dirk" associated with him everyone thought of just a guy who will stand around the perimeter when he is more of a pau gasol type player. If he was said to play more like Yao than Dirk I feel more would want this guy as our true center, which he would be if drafted.

Call me crazy, but the guy kinda reminded me of Durant. Let me qualify that statement though. There's this highlight reel on him on Nbadraft.net and he looked extremely mobile and athletic. He had no trouble dunking on guys with two hands. Decent looking shot too. He really looked like a natural scorer more than a back to the basket power forward or center. This was a "highlight" reel though, so you can take all of that for what it's worth. I guess the biggest knock on him is his level of competition. How would it translate in the NBA? A guy who looks like Durant playing international ball can end up looking pretty mediocre here. Then there's the question of where he fits on this team. We know that we have glaring holes at center and PG...which Yi is neither. I like him from the little I've seen of him so far, but there are too many unknowns right now.

Exodus, who says anything the Hawks do is going to be easy? I certainly thought last year that IF BK had played his cards right and not have the world know we were taking Sheldon, we could have played the draft different and we could have been talking about a different route.

Anything is possible with BK, but I think Chill or Marv (which I would hate) could be moved. IF those occur Yi is just as viable an option as any other project player in this draft.