• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks dead last in offense!!

lush23

Looking at the NBA stats it is easy to see where the Hawks must improve to be a playoff contender, just about every offensive catagory known to mankind!! Dead last in points per game & 3 point pct., and 28th overall in FG pct. Who can come in at #3 and make an impact. I am not a Conley fan. I think Critty has more upside but he can be had at #11. B. Wright shot 65% from the field at UNC as a freshman. Could he be similar to A. Stoudamire?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Could he be similar to A. Stoudamire?

If he gets bitten by a radioactive spider then maybe. Otherwise, no.

How many times do i have to type this HE WEIGHS 210 FRIGGIN POUNDS. Comparing him to Stoudamire is like comparing Chandler to Shaq.

Quote:

He's another project like Marvin. Just imagine what we will have to listen to over the next couple of years if he is drafted. On second thought . . . . that's probably gonna happen any way.

This guy is a super athlete, and with his wing span could dunk on most players. Marvin relys on his shooting to much, this gu will take it to the basket, think a tall Tyrus Thomas.

Well, I like Brandan Wright, but let's not get crazy here. Brandan has very good touch around the basket and has a good hook shot inside, but he's not a guy that is going to take the ball from the perimeter, put it on the ground, and drive to the basket, creating his own shot. He's more of a guy that will move around without the ball in his hand that will position himself in the post.

I like the fact that he doesn't do much that is outside of what he is comfortable with. You won't see Brandan drifting off around the 3 point line and throwing up shots that he knows he won't hit at a high clip. He understands what he can and can't do, and that's why he was a very efficient scorer at North Carolina as a true freshman and shot 65% from the field.

I think he has great potential as a defender, but he's got to add strength to do it. His style is going to somewhat of a cross between LaMarcus Aldridge and Chris Bosh, IMO.

Quote:

I didn't mean he's gonna put it on the ground and take it to the basket, I meant he's gonna be able to grab offensive rebounds or post up and throw it down.

I just can't stop showing this video, and imagining what he can do. Pay attention to the blocks!

I know people would be moaning about drafting another SF but Wright has the wingspan and mentality of a post player.

Sure he doesn't have the weight but that can come.

Quote:

I know people would be moaning about drafting another SF but Wright has the wingspan and mentality of a post player.

Wrights wingspan is no greater than Sheldens. And at 210 pounds who is he going to post up, the cheerleaders? He won't be able to back down anyone or establish good post position.

Quote:

Well, I like Brandan Wright, but let's not get crazy here. Brandan has very good touch around the basket and has a good hook shot inside, but he's not a guy that is going to take the ball from the perimeter, put it on the ground, and drive to the basket, creating his own shot. He's more of a guy that will move around without the ball in his hand that will position himself in the post.

I like the fact that he doesn't do much that is outside of what he is comfortable with. You won't see Brandan drifting off around the 3 point line and throwing up shots that he knows he won't hit at a high clip. He understands what he can and can't do, and that's why he was a very efficient scorer at North Carolina as a true freshman and shot 65% from the field.

I think he has great potential as a defender, but he's got to add strength to do it. His style is going to somewhat of a cross between LaMarcus Aldridge and Chris Bosh, IMO.

Spot on assessment. Bosh without the perimeter skills and with one go-to move that's nearly impossible to defend.

He's not an animal like Amare, but he's not as passive as Lamarcus. Efficient is an excellent word for him, and not just because of the high FG%, his whole game is efficient.

He's a PF, he will never be a SF or a C unless he dramatically adds skills to his game that he doesn't have or mass to his frame that he doesn't look capable of currently.

I looked back at Bosh's stats at Georgia Tech., and I noticed that like Brandan, Bosh shot 0% from the three point line and actually shot 56% from the field as opposed to Brandan's 65%. Bosh was a better rebounder, but a lot of that could have been the fact that Brandan had Tyler Hansbrough next to him whereas Bosh didn't really have another rebounder on his team.

Chris Bosh came out with the some of the same questions that Brandan has right now. Bosh was listed at around 210 lbs when he came out. There were questions about his size and strength. Now, Bosh plays a great deal of his team's minutes at the center position. He actually played more at the center position than he did at the power forward position.

I think the Chris Bosh comparisons are legitimate.

Bosh shot 22/46 from 3 in college - 48%. He also put the ball on the floor and took people off the drive. He was primarily an inside player, but his perimeter skills were enough to make him impossible to guard by one guy.

Wright was isolated to the post, and not just because of Roy's offense, but because Wright doesn't have the perimeter skills to play out on the wing. And to his credit, he has no desire to pretend that he does. Wright knows where his bread is buttered and he stays focused on that part of his game.

Bosh was more versatile and taller, but Wright is probably a better post player (at this stage), my guess is they have similar reaches.

I like the comparison, but it isn't quite there. I think Antawn Jamison is a decent comparison from a college standpoint. He once scored something like 30 points in a college game while only "possessing" the ball for less than a minute over the course of teh entire game. Then all of a sudden Jamison shifted to becoming a highly skilled perimeter player. So who knows where Brandan's game could go?

Quote:

Looking at the NBA stats it is easy to see where the Hawks must improve to be a playoff contender, just about every offensive catagory known to mankind!! Dead last in points per game & 3 point pct., and 28th overall in FG pct. Who can come in at #3 and make an impact. I am not a Conley fan. I think Critty has more upside but he can be had at #11. B. Wright shot 65% from the field at UNC as a freshman. Could he be similar to A. Stoudamire?

That leads me to think a guy like Acie Law solves our offensive problems and PG problems. Law is a guy who can score from any where on the court while still directing a 1/2 court offensive scheme.

Wright is a junk player like AK47 or Smoove. Most of his points come from put backs and dunks. He is not a go to option on offense.

I think the Chris Bosh comparison is over blown. To me Wright is a spitting image if Tyrus Thomas, a player who survives on atheleticsm, he is just not 1/2 the shot blocker Thomas is.

When Bosh came out of GT his silky post game made him compared to Tim Duncan.

No way was Wright is in that ball park. He is in the Ty Thomas/ AK47 ball park.

Wright will never be as good as J. Smith. Smith blocks more shots, is a better passer, is twice the ball handler, and has at least some kind of jumper.

Wright will never be as good at SF as Marvin b/c Wright can't shoot or dribble.

Quote:

Brandan Wright is very good offensively around the basket.

So how is he going to get close enough to the basket to use that hook in the pros? He can't back people down or beat them off the dribble. He isn't strong enough to establish low post position.

• Moderators

Quote:

So your basically calling the consesus 3rd best player by most overrated and a bust?

I think Wright is going to be good, but I would hardly call him a "consensus" third pick at this point.