• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Insider Special: Good, Bad, & the Kitchen Sink

This was a hot topic of discussion on 560 WHBQ Radio "The Sports Bar" with host Jeff Weinberger today on my way home from work. This station is based out of Memphis, and these guys do nothing but watch and talk about Grizzlies (and Tigers) basketball.

Even they notice that Gasol doesn't command double teams. No one was double teamed on that team before Mike Miller got there.

Gasol is more of an above the rim player than Reef, and is a better help side defender than Reef, but Shareef is better than Pau in every intangible and tangible offensive category.

All you have to do is look at the games they have against each other. Reef abuses Pau! Heck, the Grizzlies made Pau guard Toni Kukoc in a game last year because Reef was abusing him and Kukoc was much less of a threat.

The team you see in Memphis right now isn't going to be the team you see in the next 2-3 seasons. Just as soon as Jason Williams's base year status is up, the Grizzlies are going to deal him.

Right now, I think they've got one player that they intend on keeping in the future, and that is Mike Miller. They like Earl Watson a whole lot as well.

"According to ESPN, he has the worst winning percentage on ANY NBA player over last 7 seasons, worse even than Eric Piatkowski who has been with the Clippers for the last 7 years. The coaches have changed, the players around him have changed and even the teams have changed. One thing remains constant, he continues to lose. He has a .259 winning percentage for his career. That is incredible!"

- man o man! u have OPENED MY EYES. that post rite there is just amazing... i never knew this.

Is ABDUR-RAHIM a LOSER?

yes.. its strange that while BIG DOG is playing at his best, a combo of RAY ALLEN/SAM CASSELL/BIG DOG could get them to the playoffs... when JT/SAR/BIG DOG cant get us anywhere.

much better. Yes, Reef is a better one on one offensive player. He's one of the hardest guys in the NBA to stop one one. That being said, basketball is a team game and Gasol does almost as much for his team as Reef does for the Hawks. It doesn't matter how Reef or Gasol get their points, rebounds, blocks, assists, etc. What matters is what impact they have on their team's wins and losses and if that is the standard, Gasol is certainly not that far behind Reef.

Gasol is going to be a very good player in this league for a long time. He is only 22 and he is still getting better. He is going to get a lot stronger and once that happens, he is going to be a force to be reckoned with. If Jerry West wants to rebuild that team, I think that's great but if I were him, I'd keep Gasol. I can't imagine that West would deal Gooden if he intended to deal Gasol later. Why not just send Gasol to Orlando instead of Gooden? I'm sure Orlando would have been all over that deal as well. Now if West can ship out Gasol and bring in Vince Carter, KG or even Kobe Bryant in a year or so, obviously he would do that. I could also see West dealing Gasol if he could move TWO bad contracts such as Williams and Dickerson.

• Premium Member

I think that's why there were trade rumors. Gasol doesn't have a game that you can depend on for scores when you need them. For instance, we all know that if you allow Reef to play in the post, he will score over anybody. Ben Wallace, Tim Duncan, anybody. However, you can't say the same about Gasol. Also, Gasol is rarely doubled because he's a floater. He's not really a post player and he doesn't really take his man off the dribble, he is kinda like a scavenger.

Unless West has a trade for Gasol in mind, I think he messed up by trading Gooden. I think Gooden will be the next great player. Him going to Orlando with Gircek is about the biggest swindle since Mookie for Rumeal. Orlando should be a feared team this yr. Not to mention years to come. IF they could ever get Theo from us, they would be great.

I think Gooden is going to be a very good NBA player. I think you and I were two of the few on this board who thought he would be a better pro than Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy and Caron Butler. In fact, Yao Ming was the only guy who I would have picked over Gooden before last year's draft. I think you said you would have taken Gooden #1.

Right now, I think that Gooden is the 3rd best of the rookies behind Stoudemire and Ming. Butler has been solid too but I think Gooden is better.

• Premium Member

I think Stoudamire has more potential.

However, Gooden is a very skilled big man. He is reef like and he plays excellent defense. He is definitely in a very good Situation. IN fact, Orlando couldn't have done any better. Gooden will be a good match for Tmac and if Orlando could ever Pawn Hill off on somebody.... For instance.

Hill and 2 1st rounders for Theo....

And we talk Hill into retiring... Then Orlando will be very good.

Gooden will be better than Reef.While Reef is just

a stat player, Gooden will actually make a difference

on a team.Something Reef has never done in his

career.

I asked it when the trade was made...Why didn't the

Hawks trade for Gooden?[censored] Reef and Robinson

becaus Gooden will be better and is alot cheaper.